England v Pakistan (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Had a fantastic day at edgbaston yesterday, we made hard work of getting them but but a decent end to the day. It's so refreshing to ave a day where there is a good relaxed atmosphere, have a drink, Chat the random strangers. Top day all round albeit spent a fortune

Otis

Had a fantastic day at edgbaston yesterday, we made hard work of getting them but but a decent end to the day. It's so refreshing to ave a day where there is a good relaxed atmosphere, have a drink, Chat the random strangers. Top day all round albeit spent a fortune
England have done brilliantly well to turn this around and must now fancy their chances.

Pitch needs to misbehave though on the final day I would have thought. It is so flat.

Otis

Oh......

Can understand Cook's shot, as it was positive and just a fraction away from being a four, but Hales was just fishing outside the off stump. Poor effort.

Now with two down we need to build a stand. Another quick wicket now and we could really wobble.

Hopefully Joe Root will put in another of his sterling efforts for us.

Covstu

It's a steady start, top order haven't been cutting it for a while. If root, ballance and Bairstow can dig out similar scores if not better we should be fine but I can see this playing to a draw

CJ_covblaze

Going tomorrow. Only £16 a ticket. Fiver for kids. Get yourselves down there. Will be a cracking day!

Otis

Bets thing that can happen now is for England to try and pile on 50 very quick runs and then declare, or just get bowled out playing their shots.

It's already a record target for Edgbaston needed, so England don't need to play safe, they can really go for it.

Just a chance that Pakistan could crumble.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would declare overnight but I think they will bat for her an hour to let Bairstow get to 100

Gazolba

Just try to hit every ball for four or six. Even if we declared overnight, I doubt we could bowl Pakistan out on that pitch.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just tee off get 350 ahead (I would declare overnight) probably take 4/5 overs as I'm sure Pakistan will frustrate by bowling full & wide, lose 2 overs for the innings change prob looking at most at 84 overs at them, which may prove vital having the new ball at the end for 4 overs if they're 8/9 down.

I think it will be a draw with Pakistan 6 down sort of game where not having an international class spinner in the 4th inns will probably cost England.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Nope pitch seems like a road still.

Moeens not going to get a 6 or 7 fer.

Don't mind Pakistan chipping away the runs ideally need to get them into the mindset they can win this and take 3/4 quick wickets but I think they'll be shaking hands well before the 84 overs are bowled.

CJ_covblaze

Yesss!!!!!!

Didn't see that coming when we were 100 runs behind.

Never really in doubt today. Easy in the end. We took the piss in that first over.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Never really in doubt today. Easy in the end. We took the piss in that first over.
Hi CJ great to meet a fellow SBT contributor yesterday,I watched the cricket today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just stuck at line and length and some great catches especially Mo Ali's caught and bowled for the win.
What did you think of the game yesterday?

Covstu

Incredible performance never thought they would have pulled that off by lunch. Fantastic!

Otis

Interesting day today. Moeen Ali said he thought England were a few runs short for the pitch.

Not so sure myself. There was a bit of bounce in the pitch and if we can get our reverse swing going England might just get a healthyish lead.

Covstu

Pakistan will bat the whole day but thankfully the 2nd wicket fell today. Maybe we can get reverse if we tamper with the ball again like they were alleging.....

Terry Gibson's perm

Nearly done quite pathetic a poor decision at the toss has cost them, to scared to bat last.

Should be the end of Ballance and Vince at least for a while.

Gazolba

You cannot keep playing with such weaknesses in the top order batsmen (Vince and Ballance). If Cook and Root get out early, there is no-one else except possibly Bairstow or Moeen to pick up the slack. We are short 2-3 top level batsmen and one top class spinner.

Grendel

Hales averaged below 20 - he has to be the first casualty.

Covstu

Spanked today, we are just not consistent enough to be world no 1. Fair play to Pakistan though

Otis

I agree with Botham. It was the wrong decision to bat first. He called it on the first morning.

The ball was swinging and moving about a bit first thing and with Pakistan down after the previous test it would have been a prudent move. Ideal for swing bowling Thursday morning.

Could have been a reversal of fortunes. Think Cook got it wrong.

Covstu

I don't think it would have made a difference, we were not at the races and cannot bat a day out at the moment

Terry Gibson's perm

Ideally you would replace Hales,Vince and Ballance but it is who do you bring in. I would go back to Bell and bring in Rashid for the winter with one other.

Grendel

I agree with Botham. It was the wrong decision to bat first. He called it on the first morning.

The ball was swinging and moving about a bit first thing and with Pakistan down after the previous test it would have been a prudent move. Ideal for swing bowling Thursday morning.

Could have been a reversal of fortunes. Think Cook got it wrong.

You always bat first when ahead in a series unless the wicket is hugely problematic.

The oval pitch always has even bounce and the wicket didn't get any of the first 5 out - just poor batting and certainly nothing to do with swing bowling - we saw the same debacle in the second innings as well.

As stated in the first test England have issues. They have 3 batsman who are playing poorly and don't look test pedigree. The decision to totally isolate Ian Bell looks highly questionable.

England have individuals to thank for the drawn series. Woakes had a dream series and without him we'd probably have lost it fairly easily.

You can't have 3 batsman in the top order misfiring time and time again and hope to win. England were complacent and a bit arrogant I think in this test. They should have made changes and solidified the batting.

Bothams comments show why he was, despite bring an excellent cricket icon, a disaster as a captain. No captain on earth would have put the opposition in - other than him and probably Geoff Boycott.

Otis

You always bat first when ahead in a series unless the wicket is hugely problematic.

The oval pitch always has even bounce and the wicket didn't get any of the first 5 out - just poor batting and certainly nothing to do with swing bowling - we saw the same debacle in the second innings as well.

As stated in the first test England have issues. They have 3 batsman who are playing poorly and don't look test pedigree. The decision to totally isolate Ian Bell looks highly questionable.

England have individuals to thank for the drawn series. Woakes had a dream series and without him we'd probably have lost it fairly easily.

You can't have 3 batsman in the top order misfiring time and time again and hope to win. England were complacent and a bit arrogant I think in this test. They should have made changes and solidified the batting.

Bothams comments show why he was, despite bring an excellent cricket icon, a disaster as a captain. No captain on earth would have put the opposition in - other than him and probably Geoff Boycott.
We will have to agree to disagree. I watched the opening morning and the ball was clearly swinging and England were playing and missing. Botham identified it and I totally agreed with him.

The ball was moving about. Would have suited Anderson, Broad and Woakes.

When we did come to bowl the conditions had changed and England weren't getting so much out of the pitch.

Grendel

We will have to agree to disagree. I watched the opening morning and the ball was clearly swinging and England were playing and missing. Botham identified it and I totally agreed with him.

The ball was moving about. Would have suited Anderson, Broad and Woakes.

When we did come to bowl the conditions had changed and England weren't getting so much out of the pitch.

Show me how many teams bat second when ahead in a series in the last test - I would bet it's never happened more than 10 times in the last 50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread