England v Uruguay (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Thoughts on this upcoming game please...lets get the ball rolling on talking footy for a change where we all have a vested interest!

I'll start: Should Rooney be accommodated and should we play 4-4-2?

bringbackrattles

Thoughts on this upcoming game please...lets get the ball rolling on talking footy for a change where we all have a vested interest!

I'll start: Should Rooney be accommodated and should we play 4-4-2?
Rooney on the bench I reckon.
I'd put Lambert upfront with Sturridge and yes 4-4-2.

Otis

Draw will be fine, but I think we will win.

I'd be inclined to play Rooney, but in something more like his normal position. If we can't accommodate him there I would drop him.

I'd also go for a a very attacking line up and would field both Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the side. Scare the living daylights out of their defence.

Paxman II

I'd be inclined to play Rooney, but in something more like his normal position. If we can't accommodate him there I would drop him.

I'd also go for a a very attacking line up and would field both Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the side. Scare the living daylights out of their defence.[/QUOTE]

Loving that scary feeling! Think the Ox will come off the bench though instead of Barkley.
Please do not play Wilshire he is clearly lacking match fitness.

bringbackrattles

I'd also go for a a very attacking line up and would field both Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the side. Scare the living daylights out of their defence.[/QUOTE]

Loving that scary feeling! Think the Ox will come off the bench though instead of Barkley.
Please do not play Wilshire he is clearly lacking match fitness.
Doesn't anybody rate Lambert then ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Would probably have to go 442 to accommodate Rooney as Sturridge can't be dropped, I think Rooney is best playing at striker right up the top and dropping deep sometimes. I hear a lot of people saying his best position is number 10 behind the striker but he seems to find less space when he plays there and the opposition midfield crowd him out of this area when he plays there. I think he is better staying further up field occupying the centre halves and then occasionally dropping deep when he spots the free space to exploit. This also gives the problem to centre halves, do they go with him when he drops or pass him onto the midfielders and makes him harder for the opposition to track him, you don't really have this when he plays behind the striker as the defensive midfielder will almost always be picking him up.

---------------Hart
Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka--Baines
Sterling--Henderson--Gerrard--Lallana
-----------Sturridge--Rooney

Could possibly go something like this

-------------Hart
Johnson--Cahill--Jagielka--Baines
--------------Gerrard
-------Henderson--Wilshere (Or any other midfielder of your choice)
-------Sturridge-----Sterling
----------------Rooney

Almost 433 but with Sturridge and Sterling playing very narrow and close to Rooney

Otherwise would have to go something like

---------------Hart
--------Henderson--Gerrard
Welbeck---------Sterling----Lallana
---------------Sturridge

I don't think we can play Rooney wide left again, he isn't athletic enough to get up and down the left flank and can't beat the full back

stupot07

Ox only joined in training tonight, I think they said on itv he won't be fit for Thursday.

I think it will be a tough game and we'll struggle to get the same intensity, everything was geared/psyched up for the Italy match I think it would have took a lot out of the mentally. A draw will do but fear we will get beat again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

bringbackrattles

Still rather unproven on the big international stage I think and I honestly believe pace is the answer to unlocking the Uruguayan defence.

Would certainly consider him off the bench though.
Fair point but I'd give him some time in the match.
I don't like to jump on the Rooney bandwagon but he just doesn't look like the player he once was.My mate reckons he hasn't been any good since leaving Everton !

Otis

Would probably have to go 442 to accommodate Rooney as Sturridge can't be dropped, I think Rooney is best playing at striker right up the top and dropping deep sometimes. I hear a lot of people saying his best position is number 10 behind the striker but he seems to find less space when he plays there and the opposition midfield crowd him out of this area when he plays there. I think he is better staying further up field occupying the centre halves and then occasionally dropping deep when he spots the free space to exploit. This also gives the problem to centre halves, do they go with him when he drops or pass him onto the midfielders and makes him harder for the opposition to track him, you don't really have this when he plays behind the striker as the defensive midfielder will almost always be picking him up.

---------------Hart
Sterling--Henderson--Gerrard--Lallana
-----------Sturridge--Rooney

Could possibly go something like this

-------------Hart
Johnson--Cahill--Jagielka--Baines
--------------Gerrard
-------Henderson--Wilshere (Or any other midfielder of your choice)
-------Sturridge-----Sterling
----------------Rooney

Almost 433 but with Sturridge and Sterling playing very narrow and close to Rooney

Otherwise would have to go something like

---------------Hart
---------------Sturridge

I don't think we can play Rooney wide left again, he isn't athletic enough to get up and down the left flank and can't beat the full back

What Rooney brings you is a degree of intelligence (well on the pitch at least.) He is great at finding and creating space and at switching play too. An on form Rooney is an advantage to this England side.

Trouble is, at the moment he is out of form. Not convinced with any degree of certainty that merely playing him in his preferred role will see him suddenly bouncing back into form.

I would start with him though up front in a 2 along with Sturridge.

Otis

Ox only joined in training tonight, I think they said on itv he won't be fit for Thursday.

I think it will be a tough game and we'll struggle to get the same intensity, everything was geared/psyched up for the Italy match I think it would have took a lot out of the mentally. A draw will do but fear we will get beat again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I only watch the Beeb and Hodgson said on the Beeb he should be fit.

turlykerd

---------------Hart
---------------Sturridge

I agree with this team ....

I also agree that Rooney is out of sorts..imo he's a very very good bread and butter player on his day , but the days of bicycle kick winners seem to be behind him

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I don't think the Uruguay defenders will know what to do with Lambert.

There's too much hype over Rooney, and sooner or later he'll go into his selfish mode; trying to do everything on his own and not using his team mates.

For me he needs dropping. Bring him off the bench if need be. That will really upset him! Can you imagine an angry shrek coming off the bench?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think the Uruguay defenders will know what to do with Lambert.

There's too much hype over Rooney, and sooner or later he'll go into his selfish mode; trying to do everything on his own and not using his team mates.

For me he needs dropping. Bring him off the bench if need be. That will really upset him! Can you imagine an angry shrek coming off the bench?

What hype over Rooney? Pretty much 95% of of England are questioning his place in the team.

SkyBlue_Bear83

What Rooney brings you is a degree of intelligence (well on the pitch at least.) He is great at finding and creating space and at switching play too. An on form Rooney is an advantage to this England side.
I agree with that, which is why I think his best position is to play him at striker with freedom to drift, roam and drop into the free spaces.

Once you say pin him to say left side or in the area behind the striker than you lose a large part of his game.

Paxman II

I'm getting persuaded about Rooney ever so slightly now. I think Roy will pick him to play. That said I only hope it's not on the left and we also get Llanna in from the start please. Otherwise the same team.

If I was brave I'd drop Rooney put Llanna in and Shaw in place of Baines. Drop Gerrard from that role he plays and put the Ox in with a 4-4-2 and give em their heads! Could be just what is needed to lighten the mood and see a new sensational team shock the world with pace to burn, skill on the ball and a striker who will score.

rob9872

I would go for a settled side. I think the 11 that started the other night will have too much for uraguay but I would switch Wellbeck to the left for his workrate. 442 doesn't work at the highest level any more.

Otis

I'm getting persuaded about Rooney ever so slightly now. I think Roy will pick him to play. That said I only hope it's not on the left and we also get Llanna in from the start please. Otherwise the same team.

If I was brave I'd drop Rooney put Llanna in and Shaw in place of Baines. Drop Gerrard from that role he plays and put the Ox in with a 4-4-2 and give em their heads! Could be just what is needed to lighten the mood and see a new sensational team shock the world with pace to burn, skill on the ball and a striker who will score.

I too was thinking it might well be worth having a gamble on Shaw.

He's bigger and stronger than Baines I feel.

stupot07

I would go for a settled side. I think the 11 that started the other night will have too much for uraguay but I would switch Wellbeck to the left for his workrate. 442 doesn't work at the highest level any more.

Agreed, 442 doesn't work and was identified as one of the reasons we've failed at the last few tournaments.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Can you fit Sturridge and Rooney into a team which doesn't play 2 upfront or should it be a choice between Sturridge and Rooney?

Otis

Agreed, 442 doesn't work and was identified as one of the reasons we've failed at the last few tournaments.

We fail at every tournament. Doesn't matter what formation we play. :pointlaugh:

SkyblueBazza

We fail at every tournament. Doesn't matter what formation we play. :pointlaugh:

Everyone except the ultimate winners fail. Little things make a difference - like putting the ball in the box from a corner rather than putting it behind the goal; tracking back to defend; being ready to play & adapt to the conditions (like the Swiss/Germans/Portuguese/Italians/French have managed to do...but we haven't)

PUSB

Otis

Everyone except the ultimate winners fail. Little things make a difference - like putting the ball in the box from a corner rather than putting it behind the goal; tracking back to defend; being ready to play & adapt to the conditions (like the Swiss/Germans/Portuguese/Italians/French have managed to do...but we haven't)

PUSB

Yes indeed, but there are degrees of failure.

Failing by losing out in the final isn't quite the same as failing to get out of the qualifying group or losing in the round of 16.

Covstu

personally think if he go out all guns blazing then we will be beaten. He need to play a similar style to saturday and we will be fine. We have a decent squad and i think we have good options on the bench but my only fear is that we do not have the ability to turn games around if we are one or two down.

Youaregay will come at us but with less arrogance than they did against CR but their back four were piss poor and we need to capitalise on that. Suarez has a massive part to play here, he definately starts against us.

turlykerd

I would love a massive hard Stevie g tackle on buck toothed racist diver Suarez in the first minute ... See how fully fit the tom Daley wanna be really is !!!

Nick

Administrator
I would love a massive hard Stevie g tackle

family-guy-021207-63.gif

Otis

I would love a massive hard Stevie g tackle on buck toothed racist diver Suarez in the first minute ... See how fully fit the tom Daley wanna be really is !!!

I only got as far as 'I would love a massive Stevie G' and then I stopped reading.

Users who are viewing this thread