England v Uruguay (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Felt he played far too deep is if he had no confidence in our defence. He offered none of his normal attacking threat.

He hasn't offered an attacking threat for the last 2 years, he hasn't got the legs to get up and down the pitch any more.

Grendel

He hasn't offered an attacking threat for the last 2 years, he hasn't got the legs to get up and down the pitch any more.

And he has Jordan Henderson next to him.

Grendel

Great player, David Bell and Carl Baker taught him everything he knows about football

And Robbie Simpson was preferred on occasions.

Doesn't matter what happens next. England for the last 5-10 years have played the same way, slow and boring. The premiership is supposed to be the fastest league in the world but england just can't do it.

Maybe the FA should revert to limiting foreign players. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that England will never win anything for a long long time.

stupot07

Felt he played far too deep is if he had no confidence in our defence. He offered none of his normal attacking threat.

He was playing the holding role, which is ironic given the two mistakes he made leading up to the 2 goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

wingy

Never mind as the lads land back at Heathrow we can focus on a Brilliant weekend of Glastonbury coverage.

Brighton Sky Blue

Doesn't matter what happens next. England for the last 5-10 years have played the same way, slow and boring. The premiership is supposed to be the fastest league in the world but england just can't do it.

Maybe the FA should revert to limiting foreign players. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that England will never win anything for a long long time.

We should send more players abroad from an earlier age to expose them to other ways of playing. Problem is too many people are lapping up Brand Scudamore to care about the national team. The only ones who still do are those supporting crap domestic teams like ourselves.

Paxman II

We should have dropped Rooney and not hesitated. He lacks form. He tried hard tonight but you could see he was trying hard rather than making things happen missing good chances and a couple the other night too. He did not exactly 'bend it like Beckham' did he even with the wall a true 10 yards away? So he got his goal - so what? He should have scored two more and two the other night. We persisted and paid the price.
Tonight he got his favoured central position but that merely ruined Sturridge's game and he is the man on form. That's where we lost attacking flair and movement for the likes of Sterling to work with. Hence he had a poorer game too. Llanna should have started for Henderson and we should have been on the front foot not cautious. Soon as we got cautious we hesitated about passing and finding players...they seemed to lack ideas of who to pass the ball to at embarrassing levels? It took forever for Johnson to take a throw in and that frustrates me that we laboured on these decisions and one wonders what was done on the training field all week?

We have a nucleus of a young talented side, we can all see that but you can't stifle them into ridged formations with jobs to do. let them express themselves more. Barkley is far too raw yet. Why did he not add a spark by putting on the Ox for 10 minutes when we needed it? Gerrard was unlucky but we tried to build around the role he plays at Liverpool but ultimately it failed. Time to play 3 at the back more often with the talent players we now have and the likes of Gerrard will need to go.

Italy should win both games but a draw with Uruguay is highly likely now.

It's a pity because you had glimpses of what is possible and now we need a manager that can use that new talent to good effect. Step up Jose who said today he would like the England job. We don't want ambassadors anymore we want a brilliant coach/manager and a clear out at the FA old boys club.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Rooney played much better today but I think it is fair to at least ask the question did we weaken the team by putting him centrally as Sturridge and Sterling had much poorer games.

Otis

I think too often It has been all about Rooney as our star player and everything has revolved around him, but he is just one player in a team of 11.

I liked the way that at one point he went to take the ball off Barclay and Barclay was having none of it. I think there is a place for Rooney in the team, but that he has to fit into the team and not have us fit the team in around him.

One of my main gripes about last night is that of some players and the manager saying we played well, when it was quite obvious to me that we were quite poor. Passing was poor, defending was terrible and our entire game was error riddled.

Last edited:

savosdad

Banned
Cricket/ Rugby/ Song contest now Football all a bag off shit we have no pride and Class as the other teams,even the socceroos looked miles better than the England Squad. Three Lions more like Pussy Cats we Just dont get it,blood and thunder wanted and masses of pride

bringbackrattles

Hung over today and not just from last nights lager as reality has hit me hard in the face.
The realisation of supporting a declining football club and a national team has left me depressed and low as usual.
I love my club and am a proud Englishman,but my son and mate at the end of last nights match said why do we bother with all this crap ? We must be suffering from some kind of mental illness !

J

Jack Griffin

If you want an alternative to Gerrard for the holding role there is always Tom Huddlestone. If he is playing regularly he performs, but no good as a part timer, doesn't stay fit enough. I thought he was looking in form towards end of last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brighton Sky Blue

I think too often It has been all about Rooney as our star player and everything has revolved around him, but he is just one player in a team of 11.

I liked the way that at one point he went to take the ball off Barclay and Barclay was having none of it. I think there is a place for Rooney in the team, but that he has to fit into the team and not have us fit the team in around him.

One of my main gripes about last night is that of some players and the manager saying we played well, when it was quite obvious to me that we were quite poor. Passing was poor, defending was terrible and our entire game was error riddled.

Against Italy you could see him frustrated when Rooney blazed a shot wide rather than lay it off. Rooney feels the pressure on him to deliver the goods so feels like he must do everything by himself-taking him away from the main focus might actually do him a favour as well as the team.

bringbackrattles

Gerrard has gone from hero to zero I reckon as he's more error prone now than ever before as he's made gaffes for club and country.Him and Lampard no matter how good they've been need replacing now.

Otis

Totally agree.

All this nonsense talk of how England might yet still get through has been embarrassing. We deserve to go home and shouldn't be praying on a sequence of unlikely results to limp us through.

stupot07

Yeah, really danger we'll go home without a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Yeah, really danger we'll go home without a point.

Would be better than the other scenario I can envisage.

That of Costa Rica now just going through the motions in our game, England winning and the team somehow going home with their heads 'held high.'

Hope Costa Rica really go for it against us. If we are to win I don't want it to be by default.

Otis

Bit unfair though if the other team need a point to go through and they've got no-one to play against. :whistle:

Otis

Yes, but what about all the other teams who are already out. If they all go home their opposition for the final game won't be there to play them will they and these teams might well need a result to progress!!

stupot07

Yes, but what about all the other teams who are already out. If they all go home their opposition for the final game won't be there to play them will they and these teams might well need a result to progress!!

I see what you did there!!

bringbackrattles

I meant we may as well come home as there's nowt to play for.Your right though I never thought it through.
Watching England has scrambled my brain !

Otis

This football malarkey fills your head every waking hour doesn't it.

My misuss said to me today 'since the World Cup has been on what have you done to help around the house?'

I said I see myself in a kind of free role.

stupot07

Is it me of is Shaqiri a bit fat?

Otis

Tell you what, if Switzerland play like this in our Euro qualifying group it'll be a doddle.

bringbackrattles

My son said to me last night "dad why do we bother with this crap watching the City and England ?"
I didn't really answer him but today I thought it is a bit insane.

Otis

My son said to me last night "dad why do we bother with this crap watching the City and England ?"
I didn't really answer him but today I thought it is a bit insane.

Yep. Supporting City, supporting England, buying a lottery ticket, voting Lib Dem.

All completely pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread