England vs Norway @ Sixfields (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

It might as well be at Sixfields with that crowd, can't blame the fans after the World Cup.

SlowerThanPlatt

Was meant to go to this as someone had a free ticket and offered it, but I ended up not going. Doesn't look like I'm missing much (shocker I know). That atmosphere is dreadful.

SkyblueBazza

Same old same old for me.
Rooney etc pre-match comments are the same ones rolled out as after the Euro's & last two World Cups...disappointed/gutted...put it behind us...look to the future...blah blah blah.
I really think that the player we pick are good enough - but their attitude/mindset they bring from their clubs (expecting to win almost every game - realistic with the blend of players around them) carries over - but they do not blend so well as at club level. Often tried in a slightly different role & it's all so business-like. Look at our most successful phase in the memory of the past for most of us - Gazza was around. Where is a Gazza & the passion & enthusiasm that kind of personality/character brings???
Drastic changes required - forget the prima donnas & pick a side of championship players & give them some free-reign...we have nothing to lose.
This match it is looking evident that we are simply posing no real threat a bit more often than Norway overall so far - although 2nd 1/2 they are evening things out a bit.
It's dull & dire!!!

PUSB

Terry Gibson's perm

Forgot it was on but just put on Sky Sports news and they said that Milner is warming up so will not be putting it on now.

SkyblueBazza

Well there you go!
In the last 12 months England have beaten 3 other nations. Cyprus, Moldova & Norway (on a penalty - but they all count!?)
Impressive stuff eh?

PUSB

CJ_covblaze

It might as well be at Sixfields with that crowd, can't blame the fans after the World Cup.

Poor crowd? How do you come to that conclusion. Rough average attendances for friendly & competitive home games from the last 5 years.
Spain 38,000
Germany 51,000
Holland 48,000
Portugal 30,000
Italy 31,000
Belgium 41,000
France 62,000
Russia 15,000
England 80,000

If you just count friendlies, England and France's both drop by around 10%. Meanwhile the rest drop by as much as half.

SkyblueBazza

Poor crowd? How do you come to that conclusion. Rough average attendances for friendly & competitive home games from the last 5 years.
Spain 38,000
Germany 51,000
Holland 48,000
Portugal 30,000
Italy 31,000
Belgium 41,000
France 62,000
Russia 15,000
England 80,000

If you just count friendlies, England and France's both drop by around 10%. Meanwhile the rest drop by as much as half.

Yes...& 40000 is ermm...1/2 of that average 80000 you quoted. So it was a shit gate!

PUSB

SkyblueBazza

Incorrect

No - you're absolutely right. I latched onto to what appears to be half of one of the usual inane garbage statements the commentator made through the course of the boredom. Thinking about it I remember beating Peru & Denmark too at least.

PUSB

CJ_covblaze

Yes...& 40000 is ermm...1/2 of that average 80000 you quoted. So it was a shit gate!

PUSB

It's all relative (I did put that in a tweet last night). For England yes it's poor. For internationals overall it's a high crowd. San Marino will be bad. The 60,000 that will be there will probably half once we get our 3rd or 4th. Slovenia won't be too bad as it's on a Saturday (finally!) and they're not one of the whipping boys. An issue with that though is the fans of L1 clubs and below will have a home or away game to go to so that'll reduce it a bit.

To increase home attendances to capacity the FA in their infinite wisdom decided to reward us Travel Club members with two caps for paying 15 quid to get into Wembley and just one for spending several hundred pounds to travel to the arse end of Europe. It used to be the other way round. This has backfired as the high cappers know they're getting tickets to away games and tourneys anyway so they're now not bothering buying tickets for themselves and their mates. Another issue is the lack of trains back after an 8pm KO. If you live above Wolverhampton it's not doable by rail. Tbh I see no reason why all the train companies can't get together with the FA and sort something out. Don't they want to make money?!

Last edited:

dutchman

Roy Hodgson angered by criticism of England players after Norway win

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/04/roy-hodgson-criticism-england-players-norway

Roy Hodgson has launched a spiky and impassioned defence of his England players, arguing they do not deserve the criticism that is coming their way and accusing the media of exaggerating the team’s deficiencies in light of what happened in the World Cup.

Welbeck came on and showed his potential, so there were a lot of good things but the bottom line is this: before the World Cup, with all the euphoria, we were getting 75,000 people to see us play Peru. Now we have 40,000 to see us play against a much more difficult opponent. I can’t put that right because I can’t turn the clock back, but what I can do is analyse what I have seen and judge that through my eyes and not because someone is telling me: ‘Well, you had only two shots at goal’ because, for me, that is absolute fucking bollocks, I’m sorry.

Covstu

I watched a little bit of it but then got bored. Never should have an international after 2-3 games of the start of the season, it doesn't make sense nevermind a dull opposition like Norway. Having said that I think this fixture was a contractual arrangement from a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread