Eto'o to become 'highest paid' footballer (340k per week) (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Samuel-Eto'o415.jpg

Inter Milan has reportedly reached a deal with Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala for the transfer of striker Samuel Eto'o, a deal that should make the Cameroon international the highest paid footballer in the world.

After several days of negotiations, Italian media report that the two clubs have agreed on a transfer fee of 27 million euros ($A37.5 million) and that the deal will be formalised on Monday.

Anzhi is expected to give Eto'o a three-year contract worth 20 million euros per season (340k per week), surpassing the estimated 12 million euros that Cristiano Ronaldo earns at Real Madrid and the 10.5 million euros Lionel Messi is paid by Barcelona.

Anzhi, from the troubled southern Russian province of Dagestan, is owned by billionaire oil tycoon Suleiman Kerimov.

At 30, Eto'o is still in his prime, but he has already won three Champions League titles - two with Barcelona and one with Inter - and is apparently excited about playing in the developing Russian league.

Last edited:

telferstekkers

From etoo's perspective 340k a week sounds great, but how long before he gets a few banana's thrown his way, happened to roberto carlos and it'll happen to many more, sadly russia isnt ready for multi-cultured teams yet

Carlos left the field in tears earlier this season after his own fans (Anzhi) were making monkey noises and throwing banana's at him, Im sure 20m a year softens the blow but still is it really worth being abused on the grounds of your colour every week?

Il Pirata

He's clearly going to Anzhi Malaklkalklakaja because they are one of the great clubs of world football and he can't wait to move from Lake Garda to Dagestan.

He has also been extremely vocal about racism in Italy, always in the media if a black players gets booed (for whatever reason), so it creates an interesting scenario.

rob9872

From etoo's perspective 340k a week sounds great, but how long before he gets a few banana's thrown his way, happened to roberto carlos and it'll happen to many more, sadly russia isnt ready for multi-cultured teams yet

Carlos left the field in tears earlier this season after his own fans (Anzhi) were making monkey noises and throwing banana's at him, Im sure 20m a year softens the blow but still is it really worth being abused on the grounds of your colour every week?

for £20m a year they could paint me whatever colour they wanted and call me what they liked. In fact if it was in Russian, I doubt I would understand it. :)

I just cannot get my head around these lunatic salaries that players now receive for just kicking a football around - Samuel Eto's "wage" is £344,000 per week or £17,900,000 per annum (@ todays euro exchange rate) - it simply beggars belief.

Nearer to home a Mr W Rooney is purported to "receive" £250,000 per week = £13,000,000 pa - it surely cannot be right that this weekly wage is equivalent to a working man at an average of say £25 K per annum having to work 10 years to attain this weekly sum.

Never has the disparity between player and fan been so apparant making a mockery of football being touted a working man's sport.

I am amazed that there has not been a national outcry about this as you can guarentee iit 100% affects the price we punters pay at the turnstile.

I know the above are extreme examples of this largess but I suspect that the average Prem player is "only on" £50K per week or £2.6M per annum (or 18 times more than the PM receives).

How can the average fan with say two footy mad kids pay out say £40 + £20 + £20 plus all the baggage of programmes, refreshments, travel etc every home game - it is slowly but surely strangling the traditional supporter but encouraging corporate attendance.

How on earth have we reached this insane situation and most important of all what can be done about it before watching football becomes totally inaccessible (and it surely will) to the average fan.

PUSB

cloughie

I just cannot get my head around these lunatic salaries that players now receive for just kicking a football around - Samuel Eto's "wage" is £344,000 per week or £17,900,000 per annum (@ todays euro exchange rate) - it simply beggars belief.

Nearer to home a Mr W Rooney is purported to "receive" £250,000 per week = £13,000,000 pa - it surely cannot be right that this weekly wage is equivalent to a working man at an average of say £25 K per annum having to work 10 years to attain this weekly sum.

Never has the disparity between player and fan been so apparant making a mockery of football being touted a working man's sport.

I am amazed that there has not been a national outcry about this as you can guarentee iit 100% affects the price we punters pay at the turnstile.

I know the above are extreme examples of this largess but I suspect that the average Prem player is "only on" £50K per week or £2.6M per annum (or 18 times more than the PM receives).

How can the average fan with say two footy mad kids pay out say £40 + £20 + £20 plus all the baggage of programmes, refreshments, travel etc every home game - it is slowly but surely strangling the traditional supporter but encouraging corporate attendance.

How on earth have we reached this insane situation and most important of all what can be done about it before watching football becomes totally inaccessible (and it surely will) to the average fan.

PUSB

The top clubs seem so short sighted bearing in mind most of their income comes from sky and sponsorship, eventually the grounds will become inaccessible for the working man.
Yet in the lower leagues , think it maybe Rochdale ,not sure , they reduced their season ticket to £100 and increased the crowd from an average size of about 2000 to over 6000 last weekend.
It's not rocket science, lower prices, more fans, better support . better atmosphere, and ultimately more money and more money spent in the ground on pies etc and shirts etc

Disorganised1

Look at Blakcburn prices - against that I was offered a ticket for Arsenal V Liverpool last week - £70. !

Covstu

give them more money????

Its just ridiculous, we cannot afford £350K in a whole year on one player never minda weekly wage!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread