Everton FC finances (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
These summaries of Everton's financial position make interesting reading. I know there is the premiership level of incomes, the sky tv deal etc but this seems to be how a good club is run on and off the field............. team performing well, incomes up, wages under control (53% of turnover), profit on player sales, debt down :thinking about:

Yes I believe they own their ground, but take a look at the turnover break downs, many of the income sources are not dependent on owning it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29843746

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2014/10/30/everton-reveal-strong-financial-results

SkyBlueScottie

Impressive figures but they do benefit from the sale of Fellaini hitting the books along with the major purchases they have since made not hitting. However the previous year showed a smaller profit and the sale and purchases will cancel each other out going forward, so yes I agree a very well run club.
Their fans are a placated bunch at the minute but it was only 2 years ago they were demonstrating against Kenworthy. He along with the staff he has employed have done a grand job. An important aspect of that I believe is sticking with his managers.

RFC

These summaries of Everton's financial position make interesting reading. I know there is the premiership level of incomes, the sky tv deal etc but this seems to be how a good club is run on and off the field............. team performing well, incomes up, wages under control (53% of turnover), profit on player sales, debt down :thinking about:

Yes I believe they own their ground, but take a look at the turnover break downs, many of the income sources are not dependent on owning it.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2014/10/30/everton-reveal-strong-financial-results

If I had invested effort, money & time I'd want a return on that investment as I'm sure SISU do, therefore our circumstances are different.

Also FIFA - FFP hasn't kicked in properly domestically in the Premiership and the way the rules have been interpreted by the Football League it means for our long term to be successful in Championship (or above) we need access to ALL stadium revenues 364 days a year.

Then 60p in every pound of gross turnover is plowed back into the playing side for the manager to invest in the transfer market (where necessary), wages & bonuses etc. etc..

stupot07

Did those extra 1400 extra fans really pay £71.50 per ticket per game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
If I had invested effort, money & time I'd want a return on that investment as I'm sure SISU do, therefore our circumstances are different.

Also FIFA - FFP hasn't kicked in properly domestically in the Premiership and the way the rules have been interpreted by the Football League it means for our long term to be successful in Championship (or above) we need access to ALL stadium revenues 364 days a year.

Then 60p in every pound of gross turnover is plowed back into the playing side for the manager to invest in the transfer market (where necessary), wages & bonuses etc. etc..

I have never argued that owners shouldn't get a return on their money, our circumstances are different but the principles are not. If investors are really looking for a return on investment I would suggest a football club is not a great option

So we need all the stadium revenues (the stadium forms less than 50% of the Ricoh site)........... we don't need the revenues from the other spaces at the site to be able to compete then?, because clearly very few other football clubs have those kinds of income

Suggest that you google the rules regarding SCMP in League 1, because no club has a wages budget of 60% of gross turnover. Also it is a budget not a guarantee that it will be spent

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

A major key to Evertons continued (financial) success is their amazing academy......they produce a constant stream of top class youngsters who go on to play for the first 11 & then on to greater things for massive transfer fees.....

....Its an interesting comparison with the red twats over the park who until very recently, hadn't produced a decent player since Gerrard & Carragher......

stupot07

I'm not sure what angle you're coming from here OSB.

Surely comparing a big PL club's finances vs our league one club finances is like comparing apples to a banana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not directly comparing stupot as such. There is a world of difference in the size of the numbers but the principles are still the same. If anything it was a more general post than that, aimed more at all clubs

To be fair to our current owners I think some of the decisions they have made are the way to go, cost reductions, trying to live within means focus on youth etc. But it doesn't come across as joined up thinking. Everton have a plan, a method, they are not knee jerk in decisions it seems, the marketing is effective and they make a proper effort (now) to connect to the fans. Yes there is an element of good fortune but somehow you get the impression they are the architects of such good fortune because of how they operate, we of course.............

I think the point I am making is we could learn from them even being a lowly L1 team but so could a lot of teams including those in the Premiership

Covstu

I think the principles regardless of what club you run is the same its just at varying levels. Everton have always been well run and usually never spend beyond their means (apart from this season). This is a dangerous time for them as they aer trying to step up and become a champions league team by spending big but sometimes that can be the undoing. They have a great youth system which brings through great players and a constant source of revenue. They will never attract the numbers that their neighbours will and are nowhere near as famous (in respect to shirt sales etc) but they keep a close monitor on what is going out. If all teams were run this well then the league would be closer sadly they cannot compete against Man City, Chelsea and Utd for pure spending power.

wingy

Agree a Model Club to aspire to become .

Suspect this years may be a Tad less Impressive.

New manager ,seems to have extracted more In terms of transfers from Kenright than his exemplary predecessor .

wingy

Not Strictly true Is It .

They didn't do that last year did they ,don't believe they have tis either and I'd Wager they wouldn't In the future either with their fess and Interest charges ETC ETC.

stupot07

Think we also have to remember bat everton have a strong hard core of fans. Even looking back at 99-02 etc when they were finishing 15-16th in the league they were getting 33-34k crowds. They also have the pedigree multiple league titles, FA cups and even a European cup, which gives them a bit more of a global appeal than us.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Any established premier league club who are run half competently should be able to have themselves financially stable surely?

It's those in the championship and league 1 who unsuccessfully chase the premier league dream that get themselves in trouble.

wingy

It would be Interesting to compare them to Spurs ,who I'd guess are no where near as prudent.

stupot07

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
Accounts for the year to 30 June 2013

Ownership: Enic International Limited, registered in the Bahamas (tax haven), owns 85% of Spurs. Joe Lewis, resident in the Bahamas, has the controlling, 70.6% ownership of Enic, with chairman Daniel Levy and family owning the other 29.4%.

Turnover: 6th in league, £147m (up from £144m in 2012)

Match receipts: £33m

TV and media: £57m

All commercial activities: £57m

Wage bill: 6th highest, £96m (up from £90m in 2012)

Wages as proportion of turnover: 65%

Profit before tax: £4m (up from £7m loss in 2012)

Net debt: £55m

Interest payable: £8m

Highest paid director: £1.658m paid to Daniel Levy

Grendel

I have always thought he is a good example of a fan who can make a club succesful - a far better example that the ludricous Dave Whelan -- however let us not pretend that Kenwright is popular amongst Evertonians. Lack of investment you see...............

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bill-kenwright-isnt-perfect-scheme-2903949

Brighton Sky Blue

And so Rupert Murdoch and his opposite number at BT Sport have conspired to single handedly make PL clubs profitable. Maybe a few crumbs could go down the pyramid to boost the grass roots and lower league game?

Users who are viewing this thread