Expectations (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

I

It wasn't aimed at you. It was the OP - the only point of this absurd thread is for him to vent his spleen. He can't stand robins as he exposed how shockingly bad his hero thorn was. This whole thread is geared to chuck in as many negative robins comments as he can.

He failed to gain any support for his laughable view on robins and the players he inherited.

My apology.

NorthernWisdom

Exactly what I have been trying to say but worded far better.
I am just concerned that due to Robins' previous spell people have these false expectations of what he can actually do. He had a very good 7-8 players and added the missing ingredients with 3 good signings.
He didn't do any good at Scunthorpe or Huddersfield and this has been highlighted by the performances of the managers who followed him.
When as I expect we are not steam rolling division 4 next season. I don't want to hear people demanding he is sacked and we start from scratch again.
The problem lies with how the club is run and we need a manager, who can work round that over a prolonged period of time.
I agree.

FWIW he has firefighting experience at Rotherham and the boy dun good, so he's not coming in completely cluelessly.

But yeah, I get your general point that it's a thankless task ;)

fernandopartridge

We can't expect some crazy miracle from Robins. He is a bang average manager.
First time round he was very lucky that DMC was on fire and then he was intelligent enough to get the hell out of here once it was about to go to rat shit. (fair play to him).
Huddersfield were not overly impressed. Scunthorpe fans were pleased when he was sacked.
Even Grimsby fans didn't want him when he was linked with them before we got him!!!
There is a myth that he did some minor miracle with us. That really wasn't the case.
Let's just hope he can bring some organisation to this farce in time to get us a great day out at Wembley.
If he does that then he will have achieved big time.

You're talking nonsense as usual, our form under Robins was superb. So what, he had a good striker? All good teams have a goalscorer, it doesn't invalidate the job the manager does.

NorthernWisdom

You're talking nonsense as usual, our form under Robins was superb. So what, he had a good striker? All good teams have a goalscorer, it doesn't invalidate the job the manager does.
I think the point don is trying to make, is not to run down anything that Robins did here before, but that to a certain extent that was he blip in a sea of CCFC shite over the past decade plus... and to expect him to overturn the inherant shiteness of our club singlehanded is a harsh expectation.

A bit like we've expected it of Pressley, Mowbray, Venus, Slade...

fernandopartridge

I can't subscribe to the theory of him being lucky last time. Having good players is one thing. The manager still has to set up the game plan to get the most out of them. That's a managers job isn't it?

You can have a team of good players but if a manager is not any good at setting the team up to get the best out of them, then those good players are less effective.

Look at what McGokdrick had as a record before he arrived. Would hardly say his form was anything special. But here, under Robins he was in fine form. Because Robins set up the team to get the best out of him.

Yep - he didn't make many signings really either, he lifted a team that was in the bottom 4 and hadn't won a game into one that won 17 of the next 33. He brought in Clarke to replace McGoldrick yet funnily enough, once Robins left the season petered out despite not really losing any players in that January.

fernandopartridge

I think the point don is trying to make, is not to run down anything that Robins did here before, but that to a certain extent that was he blip in a sea of CCFC shite over the past decade plus... and to expect him to overturn the inherant shiteness of our club singlehanded is a harsh expectation.

A bit like we've expected it of Pressley, Mowbray, Venus, Slade...

That isn't my expectation, don over-egged the pudding with silly terms like 'bang average' manager. Maybe he is, but he got a lot more out of practically the same squad of players as those before and after him.

Grendel

That isn't my expectation, don over-egged the pudding with silly terms like 'bang average' manager. Maybe he is, but he got a lot more out of practically the same squad of players as those before and after him.

And went out of his way to find out they apparantly even Grimsby didn't want him.

NorthernWisdom

That isn't my expectation
But... you're half-sane ;)

Thing is, both Pressley and Mowbray managed half a season of decent results and getting a lot out of the players too, but they weren't intelligent enough to jump ship when they could.

I don't think it's a bad message to send out to hope (maybe even expect) Robins to do well next season, but not to demand it at all costs.

singers_pore

Revenues will drop dramatically. Fisher has said the number one priority is break even. And our current squad is not good enough for L2. Yet some posters on here are predicting a promotion challenge. Some people never learn. Assuming no change in ownership, next year will see us near the bottom. Our main hope rests on the fact that only two teams get relegated from L2.

dongonzalos

Revenues will drop dramatically. Fisher has said the number one priority is break even. And our current squad is not good enough for L2. Yet some posters on here are predicting a promotion challenge. Some people never learn. Assuming no change in ownership, next year will see us near the bottom. Our main hope rests on the fact that only two teams get relegated from L2.

Exactly and poor MR who is currently getting lauded will be chastised no doubt

skybluetony176

I'm not going to predict or expect anything next season. I'm hoping we stay in the league and don't get back to back relegations but that's as much as I can muster at this moment in time.

I think it's wrong to assume or expect that MR will magically turn things around over the summer. He might have an immediate impact like TM did at the start of last season but the fact is we're not an environment that promotes long-term sustainable success. Not even over the full course of one season.

The only thing I'm expecting is that a lot of those who overhype MR will be the first voices of discontent and calling for his head. Same as what happened with TM.

Irish Sky Blue

I totally agree that Robin's, or indeed any manager, needs to be given time and resources to do the job. He is not a miracle worker but has shown here, at Barnsley and at Rotherham that he is capable of getting a team winning and playing good football at the same time. He is talking about a short, medium and long term plan but so didTM. I think it would be fair to give someone like Robins a 3 year contract, put up with the rocky patches, so long as progress is seen to be made. A change has to happen though to make such a plan happen. We have to keep good young players like Stevenson until it is in our club's interest to sell them and the money needs to be reinvested in the team, not purely keeping the club afloat. That should be the job of the Chairman ensuring that turnover increases year on year in order for the club to be self supporting without relying on player sales. (Easier said than done I know but Sisu do nothing to win hearts, minds and purse strings. Fisher needs to get his act together). There should be a recruitment plan that does not simply rely on journeymen or frees or one year contracts and loan players. As far as possible we should have our own players under contract and keep the turnover of players to a minimum. Then we might see progress. I think that at the start of the 86-87 season John Sillett only brought in two new players, Painter and Houchen (I stand to be corrected on that) neither of which would have set the pulses racing. He relied on improving the squad he had with only minimal additions. Even the following season when shopping at "Harrods" there was no huge influx of players. Those 3 years under Sillett we were consistently in the top 10 with more or less the same players plus careful additions.(I know some did not work, Drinkell for example, but lots did Gallagher and Speedie to name just 2).
No home, no academy possibly no training ground and continued legal action all undermine the chance of moving forward. With Sisu here the chance of resolving these issues seems bleak and the chances of even good managers like Robins succeeding also seem remote. Let's hope that whatever Fisher told him about tools for the job are this time proved to be true.

Gazolba

<snip> If Robins and "his" team are not banging on the door of the playoffs around Christmas time ...<snip>.
I don't want us 'banging on the door of the playoff spots", I want us leading the automatic promotion candidates.

dongonzalos

Who? Only McGoldrick was a Championship level player. Murphy signed for a Championship club but didn't play. Richard Wood the CB? Midfielder - not Moussa or Baker?

He did have Christie tbf, you've not even remembered him though.

Bloody hell fair comment I did forget about Christie he was dealt even a better pack of cards than I recalled

Murphy and Woods two of the best in their position in league one.
Baker who was on fire and gained promotion at MK Dons on leaving us.
Christie who was competing for the play off places in the championship after leaving us.
DMC who nearly scored a goal a game for Robins
And Cody who Scored 4 in 7
Then 17 and 16 goals after leaving us in our division

lifeskyblue

Personally was disappointed that robins got the job. I think he is an ok manager but nothing special. I would have chosen a young and enthusiastic untried manager who had plenty of new/different ideas but who could inspire average players and what's left of the fans.
However we have appointed robins and must give him a fair crack of the whip. We will certainly see more discipline and more organisation. I think his post match comments on Saturday indicated the size of his task...he was stunned by our second half collapse and I sensed he was doing everything he could to keep his anger in check. I would think he could turn the current bunch into a midtable L2 team. So with a few additions he hopefully will be challenging for the playoffs next season. The club is in such crisis I hope he gets three full seasons....it won't be turned round overnight. if we are not back to midtable L1 by may 2020 then he will have failed for me.

PUSB

Otis

Cody McDonald was SHIT for us, all the revisionist nonsense in the world will never change that.
I don't know.

If he had Robben on one wing and Ribery on the other, with Messi playing just behind him in the hole, I think McDonald would have definitely got 1 in 3 here for us, perhaps.

Brylowes

Mcgoldrick was a laughing stock before he arrived here. Mcgoldrought as fans derided him.

His career after departing has been pretty mediocre as well.

So it's clear having robins as manager and the style of play worked for him so to dismiss that as lucky is nonsense.

He inherited a basket case of a club where players training regimes and plans were non existent. He was hugely influential in turning a dire situation round into a successful season prior to his departure.
Living in a town in Suffolk ITFC are the biggest supported team, most of my mates are Ipswich
Fans with a large proportion of those ST holders. To a man they rate McGoldrick as their best
Player, they also insist if it hadn't been for his unfortunate nack for picking up injuries he would
Have probably spearheaded a promotion season by now.

Grendel

Cody McDonald was SHIT for us, all the revisionist nonsense in the world will never change that.

As was wood and Murphy is just a run of the mill league one keeper.

singers_pore

Living in a town in Suffolk ITFC are the biggest supported team, most of my mates are Ipswich
Fans with a large proportion of those ST holders. To a man they rate McGoldrick as their best
Player, they also insist if it hadn't been for his unfortunate nack for picking up injuries he would
Have probably spearheaded a promotion season by now.

I agree. McGoldrick has always looked good whenever I have seen him play for Ipswich on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread