Fave Chippy in Cov (1 Viewer)

ccfc_Tom

Following on from rich's thread what's everyones fave chippy in cov? I quite like both the unicorn and beech tree chippy (mainly cause beech tree my local chippy) .

BenInTurin

Facebook User
Binley mega chippy, it's either that or a curry the first night whenever I'm back in cov!

Astute

Mine was the Parsons Nose, but not lived in Cov for about 20 years. Might not even been that good as I always had a skinfull when I went there

smileycov

Facebook User
Oh, the parsons nose....happy days! there used to be one opposite the Tally Ho, used to get roast tatties n gravy after the pink parrott haha

Marty

Chick King. Best i've ever had in cov. 1 in nuneaton as well called Pete's Plaice i think, really nice as well.

egastap

Can't remember the name of it, but it was on the corner of Torrington Ave and Fletchamstead Highway. My brother in law, who was a fish fryer in Bournemouth and later retired to Coventry, told me he was one of only a very few who used 'fresh' fish and not thawed from 'frozen'. There's quite a difference!

The chippy is one of the very few things I miss here in Canada.

Last edited:

dutchman

My all-time favourite was Zuleika's Plaice in Minster Road. That has long since changed hands so for fish and chips I now visit the Spon End Fish Bar but for chicken & mushroom pie and chips I use Gill's in Broomfield Road.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Chippy in Sandy Lane for me :)

gouldberg

The new chippy on Banner Lane is a cracking chippy. Massive fan of Beech Tree as well.

If you're ever around the Tile Hill area of Coventry go to one of those and I'd personally say avoid the Unicorn Chippy at all costs. If I eat there either the chips are crap or I'm ill after.

ajsccfc

I've been yearning for a trip to the chippy since reading this thread.

Please, nobody start a thread about heroin.

ccfcdan

The marina opposite the cedars, Failing that The beech Tree for kebabs. Avoid the Godiva on Jubilee crescent unless chest hair in your chips is what your after ;)

Sky_Blue_Daz

The wallace chippy, However back in the day The Parsons nose was always the last stop before home. Pastie chips and Curry sauce and then walk over the bridge home Happy Days

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
The marina opposite the cedars, Failing that The beech Tree for kebabs. Avoid the Godiva on Jubilee crescent unless chest hair in your chips is what your after ;)

Jubilee chippy must be the worst in cov by miles. Wallace is pretty decent I normally go there.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
When I lived in Cov, the Beech Tree. Absolutely brilliant!. My local chippy (Totties) in Totland Bay is really good. A small portion of chips is enough for both me and 'er indoors! Highly recommend if you're ever down here!

skybluejelly

worst thing about binley mega chippy is if you go there at lunch they are supposed to open at 12 ,you wait outside until 10 past then they say it will be 5 minutes for the chips to be ready..marina for me

Macca

at the risk of being an old fart (again) chippies aren't really chippies anymore are they. Burgers, Kebabs, 2 course meals! Some places they have all these options yet the fish is actually shite.

anyway for me best chip I ever tasted though going back a bit was a place near mercia sound and the old snooker place.

the oasis on sewall highway now scoring points for its puntastic "Charlies Plaice" name.

enjoyed fishy moores back in the day as well.

chips and curry sauce or chips and gravy?

barnsleyskyblue

when i lived in coventry (22 years ago) always went to fishy moores on sat afternoons after swimming aged about 10ish (1978) when i started goin drinking it was always the parsons nose (1985ish) but the chippy at toll ber end was always my local, now i only have a chippy dinner when i have a day out in whitby, my local chippy now is the one near the mount pub near oakwell (barnsley f.c),

Marty

when i lived in coventry (22 years ago) always went to fishy moores on sat afternoons after swimming aged about 10ish (1978) when i started goin drinking it was always the parsons nose (1985ish) but the chippy at toll ber end was always my local, now i only have a chippy dinner when i have a day out in whitby, my local chippy now is the one near the mount pub near oakwell (barnsley f.c),

I got my chips from there when we played up there a few seasons ago, very nice indeed. Fishy Moores was class, I always use to go swimming in the morning and get a bag of chips on the way home. good times :pimp:

Kuklinski

The chippy past the Green Man towards Aldermans Green is the bollocks for a decent kebab, and the chippy in Spon End. I am surrounded by chippy's in Wyken, but I drive out of my way to get a kebab from either. Also the chippy opposite The Craftsmen too is good for a kebab.

If I want fish then Charlie's Plaice on Sewall Highway takes some beating.

City Pizza are also great for kebab on naan bread with chips, salad and lots of chilli & Mayo on top.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Way back in 19 hundred and frozen to death, there used to be a chippy in Spon End. (Think it was even before the ring road was built!). They used to do brilliant faggots, chips and peas! Do any of our older posters remember the days when you used to get a "tanners" worth of chips and could ask the local chippy for a bag of cheap scratchings for a couple of pennies? (The scratchings were just the left over bits of batter! :p ) Happy days!!

Kuklinski

I loved scratchings from the chippy. Not many offer them nowadays. You'd see them piled up behind the glass back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread