Fave Chippy in Cov (1 Viewer)

Rusty Trombone

Attachments

• 51XbStLgZtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX324_SY324_PIkin4,BottomRight.jpg
    51XbStLgZtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX324_SY324_PIkin4,BottomRight.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

skybluesam66

as a kid - top 3 were
1. fishy moores (chips after trip to swimming baths were unbelievable )
2. binley road - opposite bulls head
3. barras heath

Parsons nose- how did they make them taste so bad
Even the one in the burges was poor

1 has now gone - the others have since changed hands and standards gone with them - struggle to find a good one nowadays

ajsccfc

The Barras chippy's a sad shell of its former self. I used to like Five Ways just off Ball Hill, same with that too.

chiefdave

Who on earth gets chips at 4pm?!?

I used to work for a company that did store refits for KFC. The refits would be done overnight but without fail at 11am, the usual opening time, there would be people queuing up outside waiting. How desperate can you be for KFC?!

Captain Dart

I used to work for a company that did store refits for KFC. The refits would be done overnight but without fail at 11am, the usual opening time, there would be people queuing up outside waiting. How desperate can you be for KFC?!

No nicotine included.

RedSalmon

The Poseidon.

It's reasonably new - a few years old at most - and located on Daventry Road in Cheylesmore.

They are FANTASTIC, and you'll often see long queues in the evenings. The fish and chips are always fresh, unlike the sticky and greasy lunchtime leftovers you see at other places. And the batter is soft and damn near skin-tight, not jawbreakingly crunchy.

Worth going out of your way for.

Went here last week and have to say the fish and chips were amazing!!!!

Nice clean shop and everything freshly cooked, will deffinately be my regular chippy from now on.

LastGarrison

Been to Beech Tree tonight (helps to shake off 3 days on the piss) and it was heaving!!

Always decent from there.

Rich

I popped into Binley Mega Chippy yesterday. Chip Batch and a Scallop. Pretty good and they were definitely using fresh oil, which makes all the difference.

bringbackrattles

Don't know about the best chippy but the worst is the seagull chippy in Bell Green. I live close to it but stopped using it as the chips there taste like a mixture of cardboard and brick. Last time I went in I had 4 scallops instead,they don't mess with them !

Terry Gibson's perm

In the late 80's early 90's I used to use testa's near to park gate school and that was great Larry was a gent always cooked me a fresh piece of fish when I went in and had a huge satellite dish on the back to get the Italian football on the little telly in the shop spent many an evening watching live matches in there. I used to hate the Glentworth chippy as they were very greasy but some people loved their chips

Malaka

My family had that shop (Aldermans Green) for years. My grandad bought it in the late 50's and it stayed in the family up until about five years ago. My uncle converted the garage to do kebabs before they knocked it into one. I must admit the last couple of years it did go down hill. The new owners have turned things around and things have improved.
My favourite chippys are:
Charlies Plaice (Fish)
Marina (Willenhall) Chicken Kebab
Hipswell Highway Chips
and of course Aldermans Green not bad all around!

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Have to say the new one on Green Lane isn't at all bad. :)

CJ_covblaze

Avon Street was always pretty good. Haven't been in there for some time though. Bloke that ran it was known as Gaddafi. The resemblance was striking.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Have to say the new one on Green Lane isn't at all bad. :)

Been there few years now hasn't it (5/6 years?) went there last week for the first time in a while was very good.

Also the one next to the open arms pub on the daventry road (Poseidon) near the memorial park has been decent every time I've been.

Terry Gibson's perm

Still like the Three A's in Galley Common, nice pizzas too!

That surprises me Nick as I used to live best to there an the chips were awful so I always used Aki's instead was about 3 years ago though

Kingokings204

The chick King on Holyhead road does a great kebab. Not sure on the chips

James Smith

Coopers on Gulson Road.

bringbackrattles

If you had a trophy for the best ever chip shop in Coventry the winner in my opinion would be Fishy Moores.It was so popular there were queues of people especially on a Saturday.You have to be a certain age though to know how tasty the fish and chips were !

Last edited:

chiefdave

If you had a trophy for the best ever chip shop in Coventry the winner in my opinion would be Fishy Moores.It was so popular there were queues of people especially on a Saturday.You have to be a certain age though to know how tasty the fish and chips were !

My Saturday routine used to go to the Sports Centre in the morning, then round the record stores in town. After that walk up to HR stopping off at Fishy Moores for a cone of chips. Happy days.

dutchman

Some of us are old enough to remember when it was located in New Buildings, behind where Sainsbury's is today:

5Fej8LH.jpg

bringbackrattles

Some of us are old enough to remember when it was located in New Buildings, behind where Sainsbury's is today:

5Fej8LH.jpg
Not proud of it now but in the 70's I got into a scrap with a Forest fan who was trying to rip my head off in Fairfax Street outside Fishy Moores.Nothing odd about that in that decade when it was always kicking off,but to my shame unbeknown to me my mum and dad were eating fish and chips inside and watched as their son traded punches with a rival fan outside. They also saw me leg it when the coppers turned up,but really laid into me when I made it back home !

Users who are viewing this thread