Films you love, but got a critical panning or bombed at the time (1 Viewer)

Otis

Just caught the Three Amigos on Sky Movies and laughed my socks off at times. First time I have seen it in about 20 years.

I remember when it came out I liked it, but it got a bit of a critical slamming. Watching it this morning I feel it has got better with age and I am also led to believe that it has now got a cult following too.

I love the songs by Randy Newman and then there are some great little bits like the singing bush scene and the My Little Buttercup scene and especially the song in the desert with the wildlife all joining in a sort of Hope/Crosby road movie kind of way.

The sort of movie you smile at all the way through and occasionally laugh out loud at I would say.

I know it is not a complete film by any stretch of the imagination,but there is more than enough in there which is a joy to behold in my opinion.

So ........ any other candidates and does anyone concur on Three Amigos?

skybluetony176

Haven't seen the three amigo's in years but yes remember laughing hard at it.

The Shawshank redemption was slated by critics, bombed in the cinema largely because of this but then took on a whole new life through word of mouth and sold gazillions on the DVD market.

Pretty sure Apocalypse Now was slated by the critics also but still did good in the cinema. Think the same went for Jaws.

Two of my all time favourite films.

Last edited:

Otis

Haven't seen the three amigo's in years but yes remember laughing hard at it.

The Shawshank redemption was slated by critics, bombed in the cinema largely because of this but then took on a whole new life through word of mouth and sold gazillions on the DVD market.

Pretty sure Apocalypse Now was slated by the critics also but still did good in the cinema. Think the same went for Jaws.

Two of my all time favourite films.
Not so sure about Jaws, but Apocalypse Now definitely did get a real slating.

Jaws and the Shawshank Redemption are now considered to be amongst the best films of all time.

Otis

Another film that didn't get good reviews but I really like is Snake Eyes with Nicholas Cage, about a cop on the take. I am a fan of the director, Brian DePalma though so I think that helped.

Grendel

The wicker man on release had all sorts of trouble. Had to be edited as too long and ended up as a B movie in releases.

It drifted for years with no acclaim but is a cult classic now and has a 90% rotten tomatoes rating.

Users who are viewing this thread