First game of the season at Yeovil.... (1 Viewer)

skybluesteve76

I had an argument with a drunk old simpleton at the end of the game who seemed to think that we should have been steamrollering such teams!! I told him we were a league one side for a reason and that Yeovil were a solid league one team and if we finished above them we would more than likely make the playoffs. He thought I was mad and got really angry with me saying Yeovil were crap and would certainly go down this season!! Anyone else have any similar experiences this season?
Anyway that's it really....just thought I'd share.

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

lordsummerisle

I had an argument with a drunk old simpleton at the end of the game who seemed to think that we should have been steamrollering such teams!! I told him we were a league one side for a reason and that Yeovil were a solid league one team and if we finished above them we would more than likely make the playoffs. He thought I was mad and got really angry with me saying Yeovil were crap and would certainly go down this season!! Anyone else have any similar experiences this season?
Anyway that's it really....just thought I'd share.

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

Just shows what Andy Thorn knows!

skybluesteve76

This was at Yeovil. On the way out of the ground...never forgot because the bloke was so adamantly arguing with me!!

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

Jiggsy

I had exactly the same discussion in the car on the way home, the lads I was with were saying it was a bad start to league one, I told them we dont know anything about this division and the teams in it for all we knew Yeovil will be at the top end of the league come what May and I was right.

Still got a lot to learn about this league and I am glad we are atleast safe in it for another season

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't think it was much to expect us to mount a proper challenge this season. Being delighted with staying in League One isn't really the right mentality if we're ever to get back out of it.

Otis

It was always going to be a hard league. No idea why people on here thought different.

All the signs were there and there were ex players of ours who had been here and got the t-shirt who were saying it would be a very hard league to get out of and it many ways tougher than the Championship.

Yet still we had people predicting we would go all season unbeaten at home etc.

Worst is, if no takeover takes place it could well be a lot, lot tougher next season.

wingy

It was always going to be a hard league. No idea why people on here thought different.

All the signs were there and there were ex players of ours who had been here and got the t-shirt who were saying it would be a very hard league to get out of and it many ways tougher than the Championship.

Yet still we had people predicting we would go all season unbeaten at home etc.

Worst is, if no takeover takes place it could well be a lot, lot tougher next season.

Yep ,all the signs were there in that match.

Take your chances or pay........ they were a very useful outfit it has to be said,we were virgins of the division.

Real

I remember being roundly castigated on a previous CCFC forum the season we were relegated from the Premiership for daring to say we'd struggle to get back up. I was told to go and support Villa/Leicester in not so polite language. Coventry fans eh, some of them have never been the brightest.

Gaz

I'm going to go against the majority view here and say that league one isn't as tough a league as its being made out to be.
Any team that gets its act together and does the basics right, will be up there around the play offs.

Yeovil being a perfect example.

Otis

It's a game where you need to be tough though I feel. Not many teams play their way out of this division.

I do honestly think we have the wrong type of players in our squad to be a real challenger at the moment.

We need more strength and pace with just a sprinkling of the luxury type player. I just don't think we can afford to have the likes of Fleck, Barton and Moussa all in the team at the same time for instance.

The odd game it will pay off, but in many games it simply wouldn't and we would get overrun and dominated.

For me the midfield is the key to turning our fortunes around. We need a Jennings type, but someone so much better than Jennings. We need a lynchpin in the middle of the park. Someone who can tackle and break up play and play that pivotal role of controlling the game and keeping the side ticking over.

Defence needs sorting for sure, but the midfield would be my first port of call for things that needed addressing.

For a while James Bailey looked ideal for that role, but he got injured and then was never that same player again after that.

Conor Thomas is probably the only player we have who could maybe fulfill that role. For me Jennings should be shown the door. He's slow and ponderous and his passing isn't that good.

We need a mixture of strength and pace in tandem with a central midfield player dictating play.

stupot07

It's a game where you need to be tough though I feel. Not many teams play their way out of this division.

I do honestly think we have the wrong type of players in our squad to be a real challenger at the moment.

We need more strength and pace with just a sprinkling of the luxury type player. I just don't think we can afford to have the likes of Fleck, Barton and Moussa all in the team at the same time for instance.

The odd game it will pay off, but in many games it simply wouldn't and we would get overrun and dominated.

For me the midfield is the key to turning our fortunes around. We need a Jennings type, but someone so much better than Jennings. We need a lynchpin in the middle of the park. Someone who can tackle and break up play and play that pivotal role of controlling the game and keeping the side ticking over.

Defence needs sorting for sure, but the midfield would be my first port of call for things that needed addressing.

For a while James Bailey looked ideal for that role, but he got injured and then was never that same player again after that.

Conor Thomas is probably the only player we have who could maybe fulfill that role. For me Jennings should be shown the door. He's slow and ponderous and his passing isn't that good.

We need a mixture of strength and pace in tandem with a central midfield player dictating play.

Completely agree Otis.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm going to go against the majority view here and say that league one isn't as tough a league as its being made out to be.
Any team that gets its act together and does the basics right, will be up there around the play offs.

Yeovil being a perfect example.

I'll agree that it's a very weak L1 this season. Poor relegated sides like Doncaster don't usually bounce straight back up like they did this year (witness our results against them, too!) but there hasn't been anyone any better than them. Contrast that with promoted sides for recent years such as Southampton, Leicester, Brighton and Charlton. Next year will be tougher.

But what it is is a division loaded with hard working, strong and organised sides. What we need to do is match their mental strength and organisation so that our quality can flourish more. It's like the old phrase, "you have to earn the right to play football" in this division. Pressley knows this, his "Comfortable Coventry" quote being his best since coming here IMO. His joke about "if you haven't got any pace, you sign for Coventry City..." is another, which is also a concern that needs addressing if we are to be competitive.

standupforcity

Don't think it was much to expect us to mount a proper challenge this season. Being delighted with staying in League One isn't really the right mentality if we're ever to get back out of it.

......like it's been a level playing field this season? An uneventful year where the players can get on and just concentrate on the football under the consistency of one manager!

Grendel

......like it's been a level playing field this season? An uneventful year where the players can get on and just concentrate on the football under the consistency of one manager!

Both promoted clubs did not have the benefit of one manager. More than likely next season Pressley will start the campaign but I doubt he will complete it.

Grendel

That's a fair summary. Suspect two centre halves needed though and Barton or fleck shown the door. Scottish league must be awful if Jennings shone in it as he was a terrible signing. We had him on trial for a month so no excuses for that one.

Thomas may prove not to be as good as some think.

Steve.B50

Can agree with the toughening up part, we have a few players who can play but need a couple of good old no messing Centre Halves.

Brighton Sky Blue

We shouldn't even be in this league for starters. Accepting crap is where half the problem lies and so you won't see me being grateful for our current position.

To emerge from this division you need both skilful and hard working players in the side. The latter to press and win you possession and the former to create and put away chances. I haven't been enough times this season to say who currently fits the bill but suffice to say the times I have been it's looked soft.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's a fair summary. Suspect two centre halves needed though and Barton or fleck shown the door. Scottish league must be awful if Jennings shone in it as he was a terrible signing. We had him on trial for a month so no excuses for that one.

Thomas may prove not to be as good as some think.

Reminds me-Wolves will have Leigh Griffiths back next season who is on course for 30 SPL goals this season. What he'd do against Edge isn't worth thinking about.

WillieStanley

How many teams have you seen at The Ricoh this season and thought "we were really outplayed"?

To my memory, the only team that came close to us ability wise was Sheff U all those months ago. The teams that have beaten us and done well in this division are the ones who have generally been dicsiplined enough to have a game plan and stick to it. We may have had some of the finest players in the league this year, but it means nothing against Crewe or Shrewsbury or Crawley. We need that steel. You can afford to make mistakes against these teams, but the real skill is picking up from those mistakes (our own and our oppositions) and taking opportunities as soon as they arise. We can pass until the cows come home and a number of teams would let us, but their focus would be on that dodgy first touch to pick up on and score.

We need to stop trying to score the perfect goal when any old goal will do, and focus on the opposistions game as well as our own.

A massive problem this year has been the focus on getting our game right and ignoring who we're playing against.

wingy

How many teams have you seen at The Ricoh this season and thought "we were really outplayed"?

To my memory, the only team that came close to us ability wise was Sheff U all those months ago. The teams that have beaten us and done well in this division are the ones who have generally been dicsiplined enough to have a game plan and stick to it. We may have had some of the finest players in the league this year, but it means nothing against Crewe or Shrewsbury or Crawley. We need that steel. You can afford to make mistakes against these teams, but the real skill is picking up from those mistakes (our own and our oppositions) and taking opportunities as soon as they arise. We can pass until the cows come home and a number of teams would let us, but their focus would be on that dodgy first touch to pick up on and score.

We need to stop trying to score the perfect goal when any old goal will do, and focus on the opposistions game as well as our own.

A massive problem this year has been the focus on getting our game right and ignoring who we're playing against.

Totally agree ,playing in one dimension,never a change of style or personell to counter/cope with that style of opposition you mention.

stupot07

Swindon gave us a bit of a footballing lesson at the ricoh...

Nonleagueherewecome

Users who are viewing this thread