Foolish Talk Again Thorn (1 Viewer)

city old boy

Thorn wants high finish
Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has said that he has told his players that they have 57 points to play for.
City have 22 going into tonight's game at Blackpool and need at least half of the 57 points available if they are to be playing Championship football next season.
Thorn said to the CT’s Andy Turner: “I talk to the boys about 57 points to play for and if we can improve the squad I see no reason why we can’t get out of trouble but I want to finish higher than we have done in recent years and if we can do that after what we have been through this season I think it will be a really good achievement for us and make us even stronger.”

Is he taking the piss
He now thinks we can finish 17th with 56 points
Sorry Andy after last night i suppose you will be telling them there's still 54 points available.

ANDY ANDY GIVE US A WAVE GOODBYE

covcity4life

i disagree,its good to aim high

4-5 wins on the trot could lead to a calm run in at end of season

alas we need to be able to defend in last few mins to do that

SkyBlueScottie

Yes we have been bottom of the table for a while, however I think we are all forgetting how tight the league is, for instance last night, for a brief 30 minutes, we were 3rd from bottom, 4 points from Millwall, and with Ipswich to play on Saturday. Had we won we would have been full of confidence against a side who are also struggling, (yet showed they are able to win convincingly at home, every now and again), we would have been looking at a further 3 points to continue our recent home form and would have been closer to moving ourselves out of the bottom 3.

One thing I believe we have over our nearest rivals is the fact that we seem to be playing well (even if only for spells) and we do have a chance of getting out of it.

We have all been dealt a shitty hand by SISU, so now is not the time to berate a manager for saying something in the press, its the time that we support the players and manager and evoke a bit of spirit to give ourselves the chance of survival.

Waldorf

So what were these wonderful substitutions he should have made? Our bench was Dunn, Bell, Wood, Baker & Eastwood. What a wealth of talent!

rob9872

So what were these wonderful substitutions he should have made? Our bench was Dunn, Bell, Wood, Baker & Eastwood. What a wealth of talent!

Wood for one of the strikers was an obvious one in my book ... BEFORE they equalized. Fresh legs, shore things up and hold on for a tense victory as opposed to a brave but ultimately costly, defeat.

AngryAnt

Everyone likes bashing Thorn but are you really telling me anyone else could do a better job with the funds he has and the position of the board? The last two managers didn't exactly set the championship on fire and they had some budgets.

Are you really having a go at the guy for trying to be a manager and actually trying to boost spirits and give the lads a goal to aim for?

1ccfc

Wood for one of the strikers was an obvious one in my book ... BEFORE they
equalized. Fresh legs, shore things up and hold on for a tense victory as
opposed to a brave but ultimately costly, defeat.
I agree Rob. Maybe Cranie could have been moved in to a defensive midfield position where he has played well before, with Wood coming on for a forward.

rob9872

Everyone likes bashing Thorn but are you really telling me anyone else could do a better job with the funds he has and the position of the board? The last two managers didn't exactly set the championship on fire and they had some budgets.

Are you really having a go at the guy for trying to be a manager and actually trying to boost spirits and give the lads a goal to aim for?

I'm not a Thorn basher as there is little point without any funds to say if he is good bad or indifferent. However, to say nobody else could have done a better job is equally silly since nobody including you, me or Stevie Wonder could currently have us in a lower position than bottom.

CUS Wyken

Did you go? I did and the players were tiring.

That’s when substitutions should be used. Holloway had a better bench granted but Thorn didn’t react to their changes and that cost us in the end.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Either bring on Wood as a direct swap for HH who was tiring, keeping our shape / formation, or if he insisted on bringing a CF off, he should have done this before we conceded the equaliser.

OK, we wouldnt be introducing talent, but we needed a change. I do honestly think AT has got to admit that the defeat was partly down to him and his naivity again last night (along with some colamitous goalkeeping by Murphy)

Brighton Sky Blue

You're laughing if you're thinking Boothroyd had any more of a budget than Thorn-the only money spent was on Juke, and you're talking £200-300k there.

AngryAnt

You're laughing if you're thinking Boothroyd had any more of a budget than Thorn-the only money spent was on Juke, and you're talking £200-300k there.

Still 200k more =), but yeah i was trying to make the point that Thorn isn't the man people should be targeting. He's had no money what so ever, lost his three best players over the summer and now juke in jan. Coleman was given money (okay not as much as he said he was promised but he still spent) and boothroyd had a far better team (if underdeveloped).
People should be aiming their anger at SISU, not Thorn, Sir Fergie probably couldn't do any better with what we have.

Users who are viewing this thread