Football Academy Revolution - We are category 2 (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Finally the Football League has voted to accept the new Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP), with the full backing of the Premier League and Football Association.

All 72 clubs voted in favour of the new rules which will completely change the structure of the current football academy system in the UK.
The new scheme will see the current Academy system scrapped in favour of each club’s youth set-up being categorised on four different levels. The scheme was voted in under duress by a margin of 46 to 22!

At its root, the EPPP will replace the current tribunal system that determines a players worth. In essence, a cap will be put on the amount a club can receive for one of their start players. Unlike the old system where a player could be sold for an unlimited amount,

West Ham's academy could be affected by the new Elite Player Performance Plan
clubs will now only be able to charge £3,000 for each year of a child’s development between nine and 11, rising to between £12,500 and £40,000 per year when the player is in the 12-16 age range. These changes alone could potentially devastate the finances of lower league clubs.

Top clubs will also be exempted from the current rules preventing them from signing under-16s who live more than 90 minutes’ travelling distance away (or an hour for under-12s), allowing them to scout and sign players from anywhere in the country.

Premier league clubs look set to benefit from the new rules making it even harder for lower division clubs to grow home-grown talent.
Money talks!

Only the richest clubs will prosper from the new rules. And here’s why. Seemingly arbitrarily, a ‘category one’ academy must ensure an annual budget of £2.3m is put in place, as well as employing 18 full-time coaches in a state of the art environment. And it will be the clubs boasting category one facilities that will have the pick of the crop from the talent at all the other academies or centre of excellence. Free from the old 1 hour travelling rule of the old system, Category one academies will not be able to poach the stars of the future in order to bolster their home-grown quota at a fraction of the cost.
Exactly what changes will the new Elite Player Performance Plan bring?

The current academies and centres of excellence will be divided into four categories, as follows:

Category 1
The top level category will require clubs to have an approximate budget of £2.325m.
Have a full time staff of at least 18.
Provide at least 5 hours contact time with players each week.
The current 90 minute travel rule will not apply.

Category 2
Clubs that cannot meet the required budget requirements and staff levels demanded by Category 1, but still have an indoor training facility will most likely fall into this category.
They will spend less time coaching players each week.
Will be allowed to take players from age 4 and sign players from the age of 9.
Will require an estimated budget of £969k
The current 90 minute travel rule will not apply.

Category 3
Clubs in this category will not be permitted to coach youngsters until they are 11
Will require an estimated budget of £315k

Category 4
Clubs in this category will be used to pick up youngsters that are late developers or have been released from other Academies or Centres of Excellence. Players will be 16 years of age or above.
Will require an estimated budget of £100k

Compensation Fees for each year of development
Age 9 to 11 – £3000 for players registered at any club
Age 12 to 16 – £12,500 for players registered at a Category 3 club
Age 12 to 16 – £25,000 for players registered at a Category 2 club
Age 12 to 16 – £40,000 for players registered at a Category 1 club

Player Age Groups
Foundation – Age 9 to 11
Youth – Age 12 to 16
Pro – Age 17 to 21

So how has this rule been passed?
Many people believe that the Premier League have held clubs to ransom and bullied them into voting yes by threatening to withhold the youth development funding it provides the Football League: £5.4m of it, to be precise. A small amount of money by Premier League standards perhaps, but potentially a lifeline for smaller clubs. Premier League chairmen will now be rubbing their hands together; the Football League’s own chairman Greg Clarke hazards that: “There is always the danger under the new scheme that larger clubs will become more predatory but we hope we don’t see that.”

Reduced compensation means less financial risk for the top clubs, who have been given carte blanche to cast their nets ever wider. More significant is the fact that many young players could now end of rotting in the reserves at the top clubs instead of playing in the Football League every Saturday. The end result of the new changes will be that more players will be starting their football development at far fewer clubs in the future, which may not be a good thing for youth football in the long-term!

Marty

Can't see anything good about this. It's about time the football league took a stand.

stupot07

So does this also mean that we would have pay more for a category 1 cast off that's failed to make the grade than they will have to pay for a category 2 starlet?

Win-win all round for the big boys.

wingy

Don't think this quite represents the whole story . While i see it the way of the article and fear its bad overall and no doubt benifits the great and powerful as usual ,i'm sure i read that these nominated amounts become payable every time the player completes a batch of ten games for the new club.

The Penguin

It did not surprise me at all that this was voted in. I would wager that the 22 clubs who voted against it are clubs with well-run and productive academies; i.e. the clubs with something to lose. The other clubs would have purely seen the potential loss of money that arose from the threat to withhold youth funding and solidarity payments, and voted this in. The phrase 'like turkeys voting for Christmas' springs to mind.

I also find it amusing, and a little insulting to the Football League clubs, that the Premier League claim that this will improve the standard of football in England by producing better players. Amusing because there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that good players can only be produced by 'big' clubs; insulting because it suggests that 'smaller' clubs can't produce quality young players. How many in England's Euro 2012 squad, for instance, came to prominence at the same club as that which they spent their formative footballing years?

Only possible positive I can see is that if you are able to hang on to a player until they are 17/18, their transfer is a 'normal' one, free of the compensation schedules laid out in the EPPP. So there is still some incentive for clubs to procure and train their own talent, hold on to them for as long as possible before cashing in.

I remain skeptical of the whole arrangement.

Disorganised1

I understand it still affects the PRO age group - that's why £1m is a good deal for B igi

Disorganised1

Obviously this was voted through by the majority of clubs who do not have a development centre. Crewe I know are trying to get category 2, and I would assume our facilities would give us category 2. I believe their is an element of performance taken into account in the gradings too.

stupot07

Don't think this quite represents the whole story . While i see it the way of the article and fear its bad overall and no doubt benifits the great and powerful as usual ,i'm sure i read that these nominated amounts become payable every time the player completes a batch of ten games for the new club.

Can't see that being right Wingy, else there would be nothing Cat 1's taking 80-100 players, coaching them but just playing them in 9 games to see what they're like so they don't have to pay.

The bit that pisses me off is that Cat 1's can give 48 hrs notice to go any watch other academies to run the rule over players. There will be scouts visits our academy on a weekly basis on the look out for players.

wingy

I think its correct Stupot and you're right it could easily get manipulated play them for nine /move them on at profit .Stage payments could conversely stop crash and burn tactics from owners like ours before they exit,the benefits spread over the longterm. I know i read that element somewhere, would be nice to know if that origonal stage payment remains in force once the player moves on, which could be possible like sell on clauses .

Users who are viewing this thread