Forest Green next season then (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter westcountry_skyblue
  • Start date

CCFC88

We had a picture of a new ground 2 years ago!

Liquid Gold

Bit harsh on @skybluenormski!

Dunno if it is the same for him but back in the 90s when I was a lad there was zero chance in my head that FGR would ever compete on an even level as the mighty Cov!

I have followed them as they are part of my community, they were semi pro up until fairly recently, the kind of team your postman would turn out for. They only got up anywhere near the Conference level around 1997 just about the same time Huckerby and Dublin were ripping it up in the Premiership for Cov.

Most exciting things to happen at FGR was two one nil defeats at Wembely in the FA trophy and a bunch of ancient Aston Villa players rocking up for an Indian summer in the Cotswolds (Nigel Spink and Tony Daily spring to mind)

The recent rise could never have been predicted, I mean I definitely tried on Championship Manager a few times!

Dale Vince only took over to save the club when they were on the brink. He owns green energy firm Ecotricity which in all honesty is really making Stroud tick at the moment. He can see that football is a good medium for getting coverage to spread his ethos and vision to a wider audience. there were some grumblings when he made some changes to the clubs match day menu but I honestly dont know anyone who isnt 100% on board now.

I support Coventry and nothing will replace that, its too ingrained in me, too many memories of Highfield road with my dad and brother but I will always cheer on my local side, just never envisaged they be in the same division.

If only Cov could have an owner that cares and has a plan for the club like dale Vince... just look at this beauty of a stadium they have planned!

zaha-hadid-architects-forest-green-rovers-eco-park-stadium-designboom-1800X.jpg
5646586.jpg
_90291943_mediaitem90291941.jpg

I think it's fair enough going to support your local non league team and I'm aware forest green are an interesting case. I think what rubbed the wrong way was the 'gonna be a dilemma' bit.

NorthernWisdom

I think it's fair enough going to support your local non league team and I'm aware forest green are an interesting case. I think what rubbed the wrong way was the 'gonna be a dilemma' bit.
Yup. Certain teams I take an interest in for whatever reason, certain teams I want to do well...

But if they're playing us, I want them to lose, and lose badly!

I'm Cov born and bread, lived and worked. 73, Sky Blues always number one, but FGR very romantic rise up the pyramid. But its a steep walk up the hillto the New Lawn, and the pies are crap.

they finished in the relegation spots 3 times in those 19 years, but were saved by promoted sides not having big enough grounds or others going into administration.

Alkhen

I'm Cov born and bread, lived and worked. 73, Sky Blues always number one, but FGR very romantic rise up the pyramid. But its a steep walk up the hillto the New Lawn, and the pies are crap.

I really like the food there! Despite being veggie it's still Pies/chips, the usual fare. Actually decent quality stuff and way cheaper than Cov! I got large chips, a coke, bottle of water and a chocolate bar for me and my lad for £6 the other day. And the best thing is they sell decent beer

Captain Dart

What's a Googlemap? Is that some sort of witches spell?
I think you get it from a certain type of lady, terribly itchy in the crotch area, I'm told.

Covstu

Fair play to them but depressing to say we are in the same league. They were mentioned on talksport yesterday on Jim White's show and the good work the chairman is doing around sustainable solutions of the stadium and other facilities. They are vastly richer than others in the league however and was a surprise they have not been in this position years ago.

Alkhen

Fair play to them but depressing to say we are in the same league. They were mentioned on talksport yesterday on Jim White's show and the good work the chairman is doing around sustainable solutions of the stadium and other facilities. They are vastly richer than others in the league however and was a surprise they have not been in this position years ago.

they failed in the play off the two previous years, budget is bigger but they struggle to attract players as the area is in the arse end of nowhere. I mean it is truly beautiful but not really a top destination for a young man

Covstu

they failed in the play off the two previous years, budget is bigger but they struggle to attract players as the area is in the arse end of nowhere. I mean it is truly beautiful but not really a top destination for a young man
Footballers will play anywhere if they are paid at the right price. I can see them being similar to Burton, small club but quite commercially sound.

Alkhen

Yep looks awful on paper but there is some logic in it.

Vince is using them as a soundboard for his green views, this promotion has been featured all round the world and had a 5 min feature on the BBC 10 O'clock news the other day. Football wise you could argue the tactical losses getting them up to the league. with a move to near Stroud in the near future will open up a vast opportunity to attract fans from all over Gloucestershire.

The current location of the ground is totally unsustainable. literally at the top of a hill. parking is very limited and on big match days traffic is a nightmare. the new ground will be just off the motorway.

of course its a worry he'll tire of the project but I know for a fact his son is heavily involved in the club so I dont feel its a Millionaires play thing like Leyton Orient

NorthernWisdom

of course its a worry he'll tire of the project but I know for a fact his son is heavily involved in the club so I dont feel its a Millionaires play thing like Leyton Orient
It does seem to have a certain inevitability about it mind, like Rushden and Diamonds.

That being said, even if he has bankrolled them for success, I don't really care. Love it when the random 'nothing' clubs come from nowhere. If you were one of those FGR fans from 30 years ago, imagine how good you'd be feeling now!

Users who are viewing this thread