Forget the JPT, the League is the be-all and end-all (1 Viewer)

CJparker

I know many are finding it hard to "let go" of the pre-home leg excitement, and keep reminding each other that "it's not over yet" and imagining what might happen "if we score first early on at Crewe..."

Frankly it doesn't matter if we do get to the final - we mustn't let the focus on our promotion push drop for a single second. If we win the JPT but end up staying in L1 for another year, the season will not have been a success. Yes, it'll be nice to do a day out at Wembley, but that would be easily balanced off by another season playing the likes of Oldham, Crawley, Walsall and the like.

We are in a very important phase, where we can either keep pushing back out of this league or become settled and part of the furniture, as we did in the Championship. I'm really excited about the chances of promotion - the JPT is an afterthought by comparison.

Otis

We can focus on the league and each game as it comes and then focus on the Crewe game when that is the next match up, can't we?

skyblueman

It really is all about the league but success of any kind is what we need right now and critically what we need to ensure MR doesn't lose heart if we don't get promotion which if we don't won't be his fault - So the JPT was/is important and for the team and the fans - I worry that a close run-in without promotion and lack of funds from SISU will be our undoing with MR and if he goes before we get up we are screwed

CovMatt1987

I agree with Otis - Ive never got this mentality of 'one or the other' that seems to exsist about cups and the league.

On ability, we should be the play offs and we had a decent chance at the JPT final too. I hate this thing where people say about resting players, what if people get an injury etc........Injuries can happen at any point, in a game, in the warm ups, in training, hell Noel Whelan injured himself walking past a shop window in Leamington. They are footballers, why shouldnt they be playing football? or shall we just wrap them in cotton wool just for specific games?

Like ive said in other threads - I dont give us much chance of making it through to the JPT final if im honest - but with us 90 minutes away from a day at Wembley, while it is still possible, I damn well expect them to give it everything and at least try. We are not a club who has enough success to say we can pick and choose what success we take.

Covstu

We would be daft going into the Crewe game acting like we have no chance, it will be extremely difficult to get back from 3 goals down but we have 90 mins not 45mins to do it in. We dont do it, we dont do it but not treating the JPT seriously after being so close to picking up a trophy would seem silly at this stage. We can prioritise both IMO however i dont think we will get through so this will no longer be an issue.

CJparker

All I'm saying is that, to go by this board, you would think that the JPT is by far the most important aspect of our season. It isn't - it's relatively meaningless

jimmyhillsfanclub

All I'm saying is that, to go by this board, you would think that the JPT is by far the most important aspect of our season. It isn't - it's relatively meaningless

Correct.

This is exactly what I was getting at in my (admittedly terse) "shame it wasn't 5" thread the day after the JPT game....

I didn't mean I wish we'd lost, I just meant that now we have, i'd rather Crewe were completely out of sight rather than the fans (and players) hanging on to a glimmer of hope that they may be able to achieve the miraculous.....

Like you, I fear the JPT distraction could end up costing us a far bigger prize....

CovMatt1987

can someone explain why the JPT would cost us? the distraction hasnt seemed to have hurt us so far recently has it? Our excellent league form and this JPT run have gone perfectly hand in hand.

I think the JPT has been a good distraction. It has added to the positivity around the club - plus I think it takes a little bit of the pressure off. With the JPT around we had two shots at Wembley, dont get me wrong priority definately is the league but i think the playoffs could take a little bit of the edge off league games in terms of pressure. just a thought though.

Macca

Correct.

This is exactly what I was getting at in my (admittedly terse) "shame it wasn't 5" thread the day after the JPT game....

I didn't mean I wish we'd lost, I just meant that now we have, i'd rather Crewe were completely out of sight rather than the fans (and players) hanging on to a glimmer of hope that they may be able to achieve the miraculous.....

Like you, I fear the JPT distraction could end up costing us a far bigger prize....

I expect the players in their heart have probably put it to bed enough for it not to be a distraction

Perhaps our destiny is Wembley by the playoffs afterall, who knows. After the JPT game in the week I just came away knowing more than ever that we have a great team for promotion if we can tighten up the defence. We played some great football so onwards and upwards for me with no negativity. :claping hands:

Johhny Blue

The league is all that matters. I convinced myself of that at about the 88 minute mark of the Preston game, and then all over again after the Crewe game, but I'm sure i'll have yet another re-think when we're 2-0 up after 20 minutes of the 2nd leg. Regardless of the outcome, lets give Crewe a real Sh**kicking in the upcoming league game and appreciate the excitement (and dedication of the players) this year. Win or lose, stay down or go up it's great to see some honest passion and hard work from the players. This is something (Kevin Kyle anyone?) that has ben missing for a few years

Users who are viewing this thread