Freddy up front (1 Viewer)

Morning all.

It's no doubt been discussed many times before but it seems that if Freddy plays up front in his natural position and not just a game here or there, a prolonged run, he is capable of getting goals. He is not a winger or a wide player, so why play him in such a way? I'm sure lots of you doubt Chris Coleman's tactics as i do. He seems to be quite negative in approach which will ultimately stop fans turning up. Wouldn't it be great to turn up every week to watch attractive attacking football? Anyone remember the 1977-1978 season when Gordon Milne adopted an attacking 4-2-4 formation? How exciting was that?

I'd love to see Coleman stay for a while for the sake of continuity and stability but he will have to change his approach to the way we play otherwise next season may be his last!

P.S. Everyone looking forward to some attractive attacking football this summer?

Nick

Administrator
I think Eastwood should be given a fair chance up front on his own. It does my head in when he gets 25 minutes here and there and people expect him to be able to bang in a hat trick without getting a decent run.

The last time he got a decent run he was on fire but then Morrison probably started crying so was drafted back in. I think Eastwood and Stead up front would be a good pairing :)

Too many people say he is lazy but I think he has a good footballing mind, why run like a headless chicken ala Morrison if you don't need to?

I agree with you both but it seems CC plays a lot of the players out of their natural position. I assume that this is because of injuries, the size of the squad and for tactical reasons. It seems that even loan players are not exempt from this.
Maybe if CC is given some cash in the summer, he can strengthen the squad and find cover for key positions (not necessarily better players - just more of them)

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
We need to find him the right strike partner - a lot of you may not agree but I do think Eastwood is the best player we've got. I think the best strike partnership this season was Eastwood and Best upfront - the first time this was tried properly Eastwood scored a hat-trick and then he scored the winner at Plymouth away but then we seemed to stop playing that way. While Morrison has been super and the most passionate player in our run of 9 games without a win, I wish that Eastwood and Best would have had more chances to play together at the start of the season.

From talking to Southend fans they said when they knocked Man U out of the League Cup Gary Hooper was playing upfront with Freddy that day so if we signed Hooper after being linked to him for about a year this could be good for Freddy? They had apparantly been together at Grays as well.

As well as Hooper they also mentioned he played well with players around him such as Shaun Goater, Mark Gower, Wayne Gray, Kevin Maher, Luke Guttridge, Campbell-Ryce.... obviously we all know the Goat and Campbell-Ryce is at Bristol City I think, used to be at Barnsley.. Anyone know about any of the other players and would they be worth a punt?

hsccfc

I've always thought Freddy is a top player, he has been played way out of position way too much, on the wing or up front with Clinton. Clinton is one of my favourite players but can't play up front with Eastwood who, i think with the right target man will score goals. lots. Clinton tries to play as a target man and does hold the ball up well but can't win a header. As mentioned a couple of times below, Freddy did work well with Best for the few games we saw that combination.
When we had Jon Stead i think we should have tried him out a lot more with Freddy instead of Clinton because as i said he tries to play as a target man as well. However from what i saw from Jon Stead, and you may disagree, but he isn't very good in the air. I would love to see an out and out Target man alongside Freddy for more than a couple of games. Maybe i was wrong and Jon Stead could be the man but i have my doubts, so i think that should be Coleman's main focus this summer, i've heard rumours of Rob Hulse maybe? Either way i do think, with the right strike partner Freddy will be banging them in for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread