Free Agent goalkeeper - Jason Brown (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Free-Agent-Jason-Brown-800_2613496.jpg

Could be a potential replacement for Westwood?

Is it worrying being an out of contract player in the current climate or is it something you have to accept as part and parcel of modern football?

It's difficult. Football has now started to, well it definitely has, an impact on the economic world. Before, the Bosman ruling was for players and the clubs used to be second. Now it's only really the top players who it works for. The clubs now hold all the cards. It is frustrating but it's part and parcel of life, I suppose.

There seem to be more and more players becoming free agents every year, is that something which needs to be addressed?

You could say that, but when the Bosman ruling first came in everyone was saying, the clubs were saying, this can't be right and the players were loving it. Now it's spun round a little bit and the boot is on the other foot. It is frustrating and difficult for a lot of players that are looking for clubs, but it's part and parcel of football.

What was your mindset heading into the summer? Were you prepared to sit tight or have you been looking to put yourself out there?

I'm definitely trying to put myself out there. I love playing football and it's my job. I have got a family and I want to get a job as quickly as possible. But it's waiting for the right deal to come along. I want to be playing now and I want a new challenge. That's why I decided to leave Blackburn. I am speaking with my agent all the time on the phone, trying to find out what's happening and what's available. As soon as we think the right thing has come along, which could be in the next few days, we might have something positive to report.

Do you have an idea as to the standard you would like to play at? Are you looking to stay in the Premier League or are you prepared to drop down?

Ideally I would like to stay in the Premier League, but I'm also a realist. I accept that in the Premier League there aren't going to be many clubs where I can walk into somebody's first team, so I'm aware that I might have to drop down the leagues to get where I want to be, which is back in the Premier League. I am willing to do that and hopefully there will be something in the next few days that will come off and I will be reporting back for pre-season on July 1st.

Is it all about regular first-team football for you now after playing back-up at Blackburn for so long?

Most definitely. That's one of the reasons why I decided to move on. I have been very fortunate to work with great keepers like Brad Friedel, but the last couple of seasons I have been behind Paul Robinson and it's been a bit frustrating at times. I went and spoke to Sam [Allardyce] and he made it clear that Robbo was his first choice and that was when I was like 'Okay, I need to find myself another club'. It's now all about finding one.

Would you be prepared to relocate? Is that something you now have to take into consideration as a modern footballer?

Of course that is a consideration. But my family is still young - my oldest is seven and my youngest is five, so they are still young and it's not too much of a hassle to move. Me and my wife knew that was part and parcel of being a footballer and my wife is 100 per cent behind me in trying to find the right move.

You have played international and Premier League football during your career, do you feel that your CV speaks for itself in some ways?

You would like to think that. I have been fortunate enough to play for my national team and also captain my national team. I like to think I approach the game right and give my all in every game I play. I have played in the Championship and in League One, so it's a bit frustrating because the clubs hold the cards and there are a lot of people in demand. It's just about waiting for the right thing. I want to achieve things and I want to play rather than just be a squad player. I'm looking forward to the future, most definitely.

Is experience your trump card? Clubs are probably going to favour an experienced keeper over an up-and-coming one aren't they?

I think my experience is going to play a big part, but I also believe in my ability. Given the chance of playing, I think I can do a job. It's about getting that opportunity. Experience helps and hopefully there is a club out there that needs an experienced goalkeeper and I can go and do well for them.

Last edited:

dojer

I thought that Joe Murphy and Chris Dunn are close to signing, why do we need another goalie when we can spend the wages on an outfield player? Especially as Jason Brown has basically spent the last 5 years sitting on the bench raking in a decent wage, he was once a pretty good keeper in his day

rob9872

M ade his money and now wants to play. Kuszack (sp?) Harper or Cudicini or many others around doing similar. Would be ok I'm sure but I doubt that we can afford him.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I used to think he was good when he played for gillingham, hence he signed for Blackburn!! They obviously saw something too! However he played for Leeds V us last season at the Ricoh and was dreadful!!

I would prefer Murphy over him (says me who doesnt rate Murphy much)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I agree but it could be a good signing for the club he has a point to prove.

I guess!! But if he was that good, would have thought Leeds would have been in the market for him!!

Guess he wouldnt have been on that much of a wage either. Probably still more than what our starting 11 earn collectivly, but still one of the cheaper options out there :D

Users who are viewing this thread