Gary Deegan and an injection of pace (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

Great touch and turn by Lukas, and a well placed low shot. Deegans gets better every time you see it. SUPERB placement given how many bodies he had to beat.

I stayed up to watch the goals on SSN every hour until 3:30am :D

SkyBlueScottie

Yeah that pass by Bell last week for McSheffreys goal was incredibly mis-hit wasn't it? Bloody miles away from Sammy, that was!:whistle:

First of all you were talking about Bell's performance against Blackpool, plus I can raise your one pass to McSheffrey with about 100 5 yard passes to Clingan. He is better than that and needs to be taking more responsibility when on the ball.

shmmeee

Yea I think that could work well depending on how Gael would adapt to that role. When Mcsheffrey is on song I think he is great in that role though, I like his directness and how his first thought is too go towards goal rather than pass backwards or check backwards and slow the move down.

It's the role Bigirimana played for the Academy and the role he prefers according to his interview. He's not a tackler and I'd just like to see him with a bit of freedom further up the pitch.

@OSB: I'm afraid that our lack of wingers pretty much makes 442 not an option. I've long said that 433 is the way out of this league though, there are no good defences and you may as well get at teams. Not sure how it'd work, but something like:

Thomas Clingan Deegan

McDonald Juke ROD/Eastwood

I'm just not sure we have enough quality up front to make it work.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah but you were talking about Bell full stop when you said Sammy and he were each others default option. The McSheffrey goal is a clear example of that plainly being untrue. He only passes to Sammy when there are no other options-usually due to lack of movement in front of him. It beggars belief that he's getting hammered for, erm, retaining possession and passing to a teamate! OPTA give you points for that..

And all those "crap" crosses he gets hammered for..I don't believe wee Sammy is the target for those high balls into the box!

shmmeee

Yeah but you were talking about Bell full stop when you said Sammy and he were each others default option. The McSheffrey goal is a clear example of that plainly being untrue. He only passes to Sammy when there are no other options-usually due to lack of movement in front of him. It beggars belief that he's getting hammered for, erm, retaining possession and passing to a teamate! OPTA give you points for that..

And all those "crap" crosses he gets hammered for..I don't believe wee Sammy is the target for those high balls into the box!

Yeah don't get the "bell can't cross" thing. He put in our best crosses last night IMO. My biggest issue with him is his lack of footballing brain or quickness of thought. Though you could level the same criticism at half the first team.

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyway..having just watched Torchomatics (as ever) superior-to-TV footage of the Deegan goal around 30 times..what a finish. Check out how far away Gilks is from reaching it-about 6 feet! It loops just perfectly, being around 18 inches under the bar and settling in the bottom corner at the side-netting, technically perfect. Also-check out the 5 or 6 Blackpool bodies hurling themselves in front of him-he didn't break sweat, just took it quickly and made sure he got enough lift to avoid any deflections.

I'm not sure what AT meant when he said "I wanted him to take it first time, but he wanted to get it on his left.." Really? It was somewhere between neck and chest height, a first time shot would have been a kinda scissor-kick volley, and at a much worse angle. As it goes, Deegs trapped it just perfectly on his chest, and teed him self up with the ball exactly where he wanted it for a clean strike. Possibly my favourite City goal this year, and Sheffs' lob last season takes some beating :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Sutty

Anyway..having just watched Torchomatics (as ever) superior-to-TV footage of the Deegan goal around 30 times..what a finish. Check out how far away Gilks is from reaching it-about 6 feet! It loops just perfectly, being around 18 inches under the bar and settling in the bottom corner at the side-netting, technically perfect. Also-check out the 5 or 6 Blackpool bodies hurling themselves in front of him-he didn't break sweat, just took it quickly and made sure he got enough lift to avoid any deflections.

I'm not sure what AT meant when he said "I wanted him to take it first time, but he wanted to get it on his left.." Really? It was somewhere between neck and chest height, a first time shot would have been a kinda scissor-kick volley, and at a much worse angle. As it goes, Deegs trapped it just perfectly on his chest, and teed him self up with the ball exactly where he wanted it for a clean strike. Possibly my favourite City goal this year, and Sheffs' lob last season takes some beating :D:D:D:D:D

Almost fell over though :D

Nonleagueherewecome

Almost fell over though :D

The thing that fools people with Deegan is he doesn't move or look like a footballer, he runs something like a cross between a troll and a crab. That's why it's all the better when he produces moments of magic, which he did almost every time he got the ball last night! At least he's got rid of that Irish Hair, though :p

Nonleagueherewecome

Although trolls and crabs aren't capable of those 30 yard sprints he makes from deep into the penalty area. He can shift when he wants to.

Nonleagueherewecome

Deegan said he slipped for his goal :laugh:

Yeah, I read that-he probably means the bit were he was moving into position to strike it, 0.21 on Torchies footage, after chesting it down (it was struck and in the net on the same second from what I can see, tee hee). Considering that made him hurried, he didn't lose any accuracy!

Users who are viewing this thread