General Election (1 Viewer)

W

westcountry_skyblue

She's a liability, I can't believe she wasn't moved off the shadow cabinet or given a less high profile role. Either they're scraping the bottom of the barrel or she must have some pillow talk on Jez.
You couldn't make it up,Keep feeding the clown!!

RegTheDonk

when you say again, isn't that just a retweet of an old interview?
No, that's a gaff from a day or so ago Clint. Think the one you mean was when she was on the radio and really had a brain freeze, before the last election. Its a pity so many of the more dynamic MPs put themselves before the party, if they got on board with Corbyn he'd have a much more public friendly and electable shadow cabinet.

Captain Dart

CCFCSteve

I see the Scum and the Mail flat out lying about Labour's comments on university tuition fees and student debt.

Whilst the Tories are selling student debt to companies charging 9% interest.

Hmm, I'm not sure it's quite 9% interest Ian. By the way I disagree with anything above inflation and nominal amount for these loans (i.e. + 0.5-1%) which is less than what they are charged currently but argue on fact not halve truths.

It's like all the talk of 'austerity', trying to paint a worse picture than is the actual case. Yes there has been efforts to get spending under control but it's hardly true austerity ! Check out what had to happen in Ireland, Greece etc for real austerity. Yes, public spending has fallen as a percentage of GDP but not in real terms but you never hear that honest argument.

Not sure if this site is bang on but pretty sure it's an independent view

UK Central Government and Local Authority Public Spending 2016 - Pie Charts Tables

Captain Dart

I see the Scum and the Mail flat out lying about Labour's comments on university tuition fees and student debt.

Whilst the Tories are selling student debt to companies charging 9% interest.

6% I heard, anyway let Martin Lewis explain how it really works, maybe you could try and understand the pros and cons rather than screaming unfair.

In fact repayments are a more of a graduate tax on high earners, isn't that what you want?

chiefdave

That's the ones they haven't sold! They've sold off older student loan books at less than 10% of their value to what are essentially shell companies used as a front for debt collection agencies.

The FSA have been flooded with complaints as they've been changing the terms and conditions to suit themselves.

CCFCSteve

That's the ones they haven't sold! They've sold off older student loan books at less than 10% of their value to what are essentially shell companies used as a front for debt collection agencies.

The FSA have been flooded with complaints as they've been changing the terms and conditions to suit themselves.

I see that Corbyn was backtracking on tv today. Doesn't know the cost to abolish/repay tuition fees, never promised to clear student tuition fee debts etc etc. It was a false bribe that the young swallowed (like a lot of the other promises - the vagueness about the EU was also intentionally misleading the young when Corbyn and McDonnell both want to leave the EU inc single market)

It was never deliverable. As Ive said before by all means try to alter the tuition fees/grant system but the country can't afford to abolish them all together.

I said at the time the Tories campaign was awful and they deserved the kicking they got but the biggest mistake they made was not pulling apart the labour manifesto.

clint van damme

I see that Corbyn was backtracking on tv today. Doesn't know the cost to abolish/repay tuition fees, never promised to clear student tuition fee debts etc etc. It was a false bribe that the young swallowed (like a lot of the other promises - the vagueness about the EU was also intentionally misleading the young when Corbyn and McDonnell both want to leave the EU inc single market)

It was never deliverable. As Ive said before by all means try to alter the tuition fees/grant system but the country can't afford to abolish them all together.

I said at the time the Tories campaign was awful and they deserved the kicking they got but the biggest mistake they made was not pulling apart the labour manifesto.

he didn't promise that, it wasn't part of the Labour manifesto. Ending tuition fees was.
And how could the tories pull apart the labour manifesto when a)theirs was so appalling and b) they failed to deliver every major pledge made in their 2015 manifesto.

chiefdave

Here's the section of the Labour manifesto that deals with higher education. Can you point out where a promise was made to repay tuition fees and clear student debt?
Labour Manifesto said:
Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.

There is a real fear that students are being priced out of university education. Last year saw the steepest fall in university applications for 30 years.

Since the Conservatives came to power, university tuition fees have been trebled to over £9,000 a year, and maintenance grants have been abolished and replaced with loans.

The average student now graduates from university, and starts their working life, with debts of £44,000.

Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees.

University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too.
I suspect the response would be that it wasn't in the manifesto but was promised by Corbyn during campaigning so lets look at his actual quotes on the subject during the election campaign.
The Independent said:
But this would leave a generation of students and recent graduates with eye-watering debts due to the higher fees introduced during the coalition government.

“I appreciate that and we will look into that effect,” Mr Corbyn told The Independent in an interview.

“We’ve not got a policy or proposal on it. There wasn’t time between the announcement of the election and the publication of the manifesto but I do understand that point and I’m entirely sympathetic to it.”
NME said:
“There is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden.

“I don’t have the simply answer for it at this stage – I don’t think anybody would expect me to, because this election was called unexpectedly, we had two week to prepare all of this – but I’m very well aware of that problem.”

chiefdave

The fact that Labours stance on existing student debt is the leading political story this weekend says a lot about the media when you look at what else has happened this week:

Announcement that the number of full time soldiers has dropped by 7,000 in the last 3 years.
The lowest number of police officers for 30 years.
The largest increase crime in ten years.
Railway electrification cancelled.
Acceptance of an additional 3,000 refugees from the Middle East and Africa.
Conservative MPs preparing a letter of no confidence in May.
The Lords’ Economic Affairs Committee stating current data on immigration is “woefully inadequate” and does not give an accurate picture on the flow of migrants in and out of the country.
Foreign Office released a human rights report listing 30 of particular concern. In the same year the report covered, 2016, the UK licensed £820m of arms to 20 countries on the list.
The revelation that training by British police may have directly helped Saudi Arabian agents arrest more than a dozen people now facing execution.
Government admitted that freedom of movement will continue for years after Brexit.
EU negotiators said that the UK would not be able to routinely check the criminal records of EU citizens entering the UK post brexit.
May to take a three week holiday without allowing a deputy to take charge.

But lets not worry about that and concentrate on criticising Corbyn for something he never said. :banghead:

CCFCSteve

It wouldn't be a story if people didn't believe that's what they were suggesting during the campaign and it is important as it's the reason why such a significant number of young people/students (and parents of students) probably voted for Corbyn.

Even the guardian have it as a story !

I'm sure if i trawled through previous posts there was various board members supporting this non pledge.

All of the other points raised above are important and I'm sure are being/will be scrutinised but for once just accept a point rather than blindly arguing in support.

lifeskyblue

The fact that Labours stance on existing student debt is the leading political story this weekend says a lot about the media when you look at what else has happened this week:

Announcement that the number of full time soldiers has dropped by 7,000 in the last 3 years.
The lowest number of police officers for 30 years.
The largest increase crime in ten years.
Railway electrification cancelled.
Acceptance of an additional 3,000 refugees from the Middle East and Africa.
Conservative MPs preparing a letter of no confidence in May.
The Lords’ Economic Affairs Committee stating current data on immigration is “woefully inadequate” and does not give an accurate picture on the flow of migrants in and out of the country.
Foreign Office released a human rights report listing 30 of particular concern. In the same year the report covered, 2016, the UK licensed £820m of arms to 20 countries on the list.
The revelation that training by British police may have directly helped Saudi Arabian agents arrest more than a dozen people now facing execution.
Government admitted that freedom of movement will continue for years after Brexit.
EU negotiators said that the UK would not be able to routinely check the criminal records of EU citizens entering the UK post brexit.
May to take a three week holiday without allowing a deputy to take charge.

But lets not worry about that and concentrate on criticising Corbyn for something he never said. :banghead:

Spot on. Shows the appalling bias in the British media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

It wouldn't be a story if people didn't believe that's what they were suggesting during the campaign and it is important as it's the reason why such a significant number of young people/students (and parents of students) probably voted for Corbyn.

Even the guardian have it as a story !

I'm sure if i trawled through previous posts there was various board members supporting this non pledge.

All of the other points raised above are important and I'm sure are being/will be scrutinised but for once just accept a point rather than blindly arguing in support.

but you're making said point up, it was never Labour policy to write off all student debt. If you want to discuss how can Labour afford to abolish tuition fees then fine, that was policy.
What you're basically saying is don't contradict people who make things up!!

Think CDs post 3723 has answered much better than I ever could. Loads of shit actually happening but hey, let's concentrate on something that isn't actually true!!

chiefdave

All of the other points raised above are important and I'm sure are being/will be scrutinised but for once just accept a point rather than blindly arguing in support
I'm not blindly arguing in support. The very simple fact is it wasn't in the Labour manifesto and it wasn't promised by Corbyn during he election campaign. He very clearly says its not in their manifesto, they don't have a plan for it but they are aware of the issue and looking at ways they could help.

CCFCSteve

I'm aware it wasn't in the manifeso but it was implied during the campaign Dave. As I said if it wasn't it wouldn't be a story now.

This isn't biased media. It's across all the press

I take all the points above and have never denied that we're in a mess at the moment !

chiefdave

Its almost comical. Days after cancelling electrification of trains in the Midlands and North the government have approved Crossrail 2. Transport Secretary said London needed new infrastructure to retain its status as they UKs powerhouse. What wasn't mentioned was why London has to be the powerhouse.
DFfqpnEXgAAWHCw.jpg-large.jpeg
Wasn't in the Conservative manifesto, must be using the same magic money tree they used to pay the DUP.

fernandopartridge

Its almost comical. Days after cancelling electrification of trains in the Midlands and North the government have approved Crossrail 2. Transport Secretary said London needed new infrastructure to retain its status as they UKs powerhouse. What wasn't mentioned was why London has to be the powerhouse.
View attachment 7786
Wasn't in the Conservative manifesto, must be using the same magic money tree they used to pay the DUP.
They're supposed to be trying to rebalance the economy. Useless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

We're happy to pay higher taxes we just don't want them to go to ta cuts to billionaires. Close tac loopholes and tax those that can afford it too. It's not hard to understand that there is money somewhere in the 5th richest country in the world it's just hard to understand that millions of bell ends keep voting for these blatant giveaways while nurses, who saves lives daily, are forced to fucking starve.

Grendel

We're happy to pay higher taxes we just don't want them to go to ta cuts to billionaires. Close tac loopholes and tax those that can afford it too. It's not hard to understand that there is money somewhere in the 5th richest country in the world it's just hard to understand that millions of bell ends keep voting for these blatant giveaways while nurses, who saves lives daily, are forced to fucking starve.

Blatent giveaways like free student education you mean?

Why, out of interest, is it always nurses who are starving while other people who earn similar or less than nurses manage to eat?

Terry Gibson's perm

Why, out of interest, is it always nurses who are starving while other people who earn similar or less than nurses manage to eat?

It will be things like car parking charges that they have to pay and nearly 10% pension contributions ( which have doubled in the last 10 years but start later), I don't think that many nurses are on the breadline outside of London

olderskyblue

Mr Corbyn added: “I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.”

Seems quite clear what his intention was.

jimmyhillsfanclub

What a set of wankers. Looking after the home counties vote before they're cast to oblivion

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why are we putting up with this shit?

......if they had their way, they'd have fucking steam trains back in the north west....

We haven't even got a fucking proper 3 lane motorway all the way between Liverpool - Manchester - Leeds FFS...

If the new regional mayors have got any bollocks, now is the time to fucking use them.

clint van damme

But you defend tax breaks for private schools? All in it together eh?

Nick

Administrator
I'd forgotten about him, has anyone heard a peep out of him since he got elected? Didn't he say something about eradicating homelessness as soon as he was elected?

Last seen eating his dinner

JS56997613.jpg

Grendel

Isn't that an investment?

No its not. If what you are suggesting is that graduates actually get higher wages the notion that has to be funded by non attending workers through increased taxation is absurd.

Anyway the Scottish model shows it fails. It ends with a increase in overseas students predominantly at the expense of those less well off who get squeezed out. Its a policy that had the opposite effect of what you would want

Users who are viewing this thread