German federal election (1 Viewer)

Astute

They had 6 other alternatives.
We don't just have 3 parties. We are the same as Germany.

Tories
Labour
Lib Dems
Co-operative party
DUP
Green party
Plaid Cymru
SNP
Sinn Fein

All of these take votes off the main parties.

Astute

No. Martcov is not happy. Nobody should be happy with this result. Most of Germany is not happy. Farage may be happy that the extreme right has gained so many seats, which would confirm his admiration for the extreme right. But no one with self respect should be happy with a Nazi like party back in the Reichstag - I mean Bundestag.

But it is not a vote against the EU. Sorry to disappoint you. All other parties were pro EU and together polled over 80%. So no problem with the EU and no one gives a toss about Brexit. Not a theme in the election.
Why did many that voted for Merkel last time not vote for her again this time?

How many voted for Farage here? Yet we voted to leave the EU.

Sick Boy

Why did many that voted for Merkel last time not vote for her again this time?

How many voted for Farage here? Yet we voted to leave the EU.

Just because they didn't vote for Merkel doesn't mean they want to leave the EU. A lot of it will be down to her declaring that Germany's borders were open, which had nothing to do with the EU.

Astute

I wouldn't call her deeply unpopular as it wasn't just between 2 personalities or parties. E.g. My missus likes Merkel, but voted FDP knowing they would maybe be in a coalition with Merkel.
I wouldn't call only getting 1 vote out of 3 popular. This is her 4th term. And the lowest vote for her by far. The AfD only started 4 years ago. They already nearly get half the votes of Merkel.

And it is nothing to do with being in the EU?

Astute

Just because they didn't vote for Merkel doesn't mean they want to leave the EU. A lot of it will be down to her declaring that Germany's borders were open, which had nothing to do with the EU.
Just because they didn't vote for the AfD doesn't mean they want to stay in the EU.

If what you are saying is right Farage would be our PM :shifty:​

Sick Boy

Just because they didn't vote for the AfD doesn't mean they want to stay in the EU.

If what you are saying is right Farage would be our PM :shifty:​

As others have said on this thread there is little appetite in Germany to leave the EU, but there appear to be a significant minority who are apprehensive about the € and a closer union.

Farage has consistently failed to even become an MP, so I don't think there is any danger. ;)

Astute

As others have said on this thread there is little appetite in Germany to leave the EU, but there appear to be a significant minority who are apprehensive about the € and a closer union.

Farage has consistently failed to even become an MP, so I don't think there is any danger. ;)
If the leave voters would have wanted him he would have got the majority.

When I said about people throughout the EU being worried about Juncker and his plans it got brushed off on here. Reality is hitting home. Juncker could have cost us the remain vote. And now could have cost Merkel many votes.

Sick Boy

When I said about people throughout the EU being worried about Juncker and his plans it got brushed off on here. Reality is hitting home. Juncker could have cost us the remain vote. And now could have cost Merkel many votes.

IMO it is more likely to be her decision to allow 1m refugees into the country.

martcov

I wouldn't call only getting 1 vote out of 3 popular. This is her 4th term. And the lowest vote for her by far. The AfD only started 4 years ago. They already nearly get half the votes of Merkel.

No. No one is interested. It is to with a million non EU refugees. The first thing AfD wants is a parliamentary enquiry into the legality of Merkel's refugee policy. Which has already been declared legal by the courts.

martcov

None. No one was interested in Juncker. E.g. Merkel said if countries wanted to have the Euro and complied with the criteria they could have it.

martcov

No. Nothing to do with the EU. Most people want to stay in the EU. It is the refugee problem from 2015 and people feeling insecure.

martcov

We don't just have 3 parties. We are the same as Germany.

Tories
Labour
Lib Dems
Co-operative party
DUP
Green party
Plaid Cymru
SNP
Sinn Fein

All of these take votes off the main parties.

We have several smaller parties if you want to split hairs.

Astute

None. No one was interested in Juncker. E.g. Merkel said if countries wanted to have the Euro and complied with the criteria they could have it.
Is it the same criteria that was used for Greece to join the EU and Euro?

Astute

No. Nothing to do with the EU. Most people want to stay in the EU. It is the refugee problem from 2015 and people feeling insecure.
Now you are talking.

Germany is massive compared to the UK. Migrants can move in without as much as an effect it has had in the UK. But it has reached the stage in Germany where it is getting noticed and is having an effect. People are feeling insecure. They will want change. And this is in the country that has benefited the most from being in the EU and Euro.

How can anyone say that the German people are happy when a new party that is against what is happening can suddenly get nearly half the votes that the person in charge of the country gets? Farage has been going for years here and isn't anywhere near as popular as them. The same seems to be happening in other EU countries like France and Italy. France is also a massive country.

Things need to change for the EU to be in harmony. Merkel has said she will listen to those who voted AfD. But what will happen if everything stays the same?

Astute

We have several smaller parties if you want to split hairs.
Not splitting hairs.

Look at the votes. Both have a Green party. One of them you mentioned as a German party. We have strong national parties in Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Germany doesn't have different parties in different countries. You call it a bad result here when the Tories get close to the majority but try to make out that Merkel does OK when her vote drops down to 1/3 of the population.

martcov

Not splitting hairs.

Look at the votes. Both have a Green party. One of them you mentioned as a German party. We have strong national parties in Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Germany doesn't have different parties in different countries. You call it a bad result here when the Tories get close to the majority but try to make out that Merkel does OK when her vote drops down to 1/3 of the population.

It was a terrible result for Merkel. No doubt about it. She will have a majority through a coalition- or worst way a minority government and then new elections.

It was far worse for Schulz and the SPD. The liberals were big winners in comparison to 2013 in more than doubling their vote. They are CDU's preferred coalition partners. We also had NPD and the Rechte who are in the same category as AfD, but got really small percentages. And there are a few others who with all small parties together, got over 4%.

The liberals, FDP, want more Europe and are more a reform and remain sort of party. If it was a vote on the EU, the liberals getting more than double would be counted as an EU victory - but, as I said, it wasn't.

martcov

Now you are talking.

Germany is massive compared to the UK. Migrants can move in without as much as an effect it has had in the UK. But it has reached the stage in Germany where it is getting noticed and is having an effect. People are feeling insecure. They will want change. And this is in the country that has benefited the most from being in the EU and Euro.

How can anyone say that the German people are happy when a new party that is against what is happening can suddenly get nearly half the votes that the person in charge of the country gets? Farage has been going for years here and isn't anywhere near as popular as them. The same seems to be happening in other EU countries like France and Italy. France is also a massive country.

Things need to change for the EU to be in harmony. Merkel has said she will listen to those who voted AfD. But what will happen if everything stays the same?

Things aren't the same as in 2015. They are already tightening up and saying that many refugees will have to go or want to go when the war in Syria ends. There is a 3 year rule about refugees. The situation has to be reviewed. Let's hope the situation in Syria improves. All this has not much to do with EU immigration. The Roma and Sinti are perceived as a problem in some cities. They were gassed and persecuted along with the Jews, so I imagine ruthlessly throwing them out may cause some problems. Not for AfD though.

Astute

It was a terrible result for Merkel. No doubt about it. She will have a majority through a coalition- or worst way a minority government and then new elections.

It was far worse for Schulz and the SPD. The liberals were big winners in comparison to 2013 in more than doubling their vote. They are CDU's preferred coalition partners. We also had NPD and the Rechte who are in the same category as AfD, but got really small percentages. And there are a few others who with all small parties together, got over 4%.

The liberals, FDP, want more Europe and are more a reform and remain sort of party. If it was a vote on the EU, the liberals getting more than double would be counted as an EU victory - but, as I said, it wasn't.
Which is as I think you know what I have been saying for months. Reform is needed. Cameron told us that we were in talks for reform. Juncker came straight out and said there were no talks planned and none in sight. He doesn't care how difficult he makes it for leaders of countries that are members.

Will he now consider any reforms now it is having an effect on Germany? Will he get voted out next time he stands for election? The problem is that those voting didn't get elected by those who want change. They seem to care more about their bank balance than those who they are supposed to look after.

Astute

Things aren't the same as in 2015. They are already tightening up and saying that many refugees will have to go or want to go when the war in Syria ends. There is a 3 year rule about refugees. The situation has to be reviewed. Let's hope the situation in Syria improves. All this has not much to do with EU immigration. The Roma and Sinti are perceived as a problem in some cities. They were gassed and persecuted along with the Jews, so I imagine ruthlessly throwing them out may cause some problems. Not for AfD though.
Yet two years later the voters have their say. Many have lost all faith in the present system. This isn't about racism for the vast majority. It was a protest vote. You say things have changed. Do the people see any change?

The Roma are a problem. They are a problem here. It isn't just a perceived problem. They have highly organised criminal gangs. All the way from pickpockets to major robberies.

Up to one in three Romanians arrested, figures show

mrtrench

I've been listening to interviews with German politicians on radio 4 over the past few days. It would be ridiculous to claim to know very much about German politics from that, but a few observations:

- Merkel's party is supposed to be centre right, much like our Conservative party. She's taken it further left and some of the votes for AFD seem to be her former voters disenchanted with what she has done with immigration.
- It appears to be disingenuous to describe AFD as racists. For sure, they have some neo-nazi supporters but they are banned from joining the party. They say that they want greater control over immigration. For sure, they want to repatriate migrants that are not genuine refugees, but nothing was said about genuine refugees. I'd align them more with UKIP than anything further right: some nutter supporters but fundamentally about regaining control from the EU more than anything else.
- Much greater support for AFD in the former East Germany than the West.

I maintain my belief that the UK has dodged a bullet by the Tories picking up the anti-EU sentiment and running with it; thus removing power from more extreme groups.

Astute

Then why are you labelling them a problem while using statistics for Romanians?
Because they are. OK my link was to other gangs. But some consist of Romas. Some try to say that the EU doesn't cause problems the public are scared of. They say it doesn't affect people. Yeah right.

Users who are viewing this thread