Give us a job... (1 Viewer)

duffer

Hi all,

Sorry to have been a bit quiet over the summer - a lot going on, family bereavement, redundancy, getting even fatter etc.

Anyway, it turns out that even a bloke with my vast technical skills and charming if overly-modest personality needs to work sometimes if he wants to eat. ;)

On that basis, is anyone out there aware of any reasonably decent paying casual/temping work out there - clerical/driving/warehousing etc.? I'm not posh - I just need something to keep the wolves from the door until I can get back into what I actually do, which would frankly bore the bejesus out of anyone here who isn't into technical stuff...

Selling my body isn't an option by the way, it's well past it's best-before date!

P.S. Hands up, I was completely wrong about Wasps not really needing to get involved in the SISU appeal. I don't like Wasps, but why SISU would deliberately antagonise them with a legal claim that they need to pay the council £30m is remarkable. Why not just argue the case on its merits and let the judges decide the outcome? Ho hum, old news, but I didn't want anyone to think that I'd gone into hiding because of that. And now, back to arguing the relative merits of Carl Baker. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

Terry Gibson's perm

Hi all,

Sorry to have been a bit quiet over the summer - a lot going on, family bereavement, redundancy, getting even fatter etc.

Anyway, it turns out that even a bloke with my vast technical skills and charming if overly-modest personality needs to work sometimes if he wants to eat. ;)

On that basis, is anyone out there aware of any reasonably decent paying casual/temping work out there - clerical/driving/warehousing etc.? I'm not posh - I just need something to keep the wolves from the door until I can get back into what I actually do, which would frankly bore the bejesus out of anyone here who isn't into technical stuff...

Selling my body isn't an option by the way, it's well past it's best-before date!

P.S. Hands up, I was completely wrong about Wasps not really needing to get involved in the SISU appeal. I don't like Wasps, but why SISU would deliberately antagonise them with a legal claim that they need to pay the council £30m is remarkable. Why not just argue the case on its merits and let the judges decide the outcome? Ho hum, old news, but I didn't want anyone to think that I'd gone into hiding because of that. And now, back to arguing the relative merits of Carl Baker. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

Not temping but we always have availability at Ups in Dordon the hours are short and the pay ok I do the midnight shift roughly between 10pm and 2.15 am something like £11 odd an hour there is a twilight shift which is easier but is about £2 odd an hour less, the midnight shift is hard graft I worked the twilight one day last week and it's a piece of piss always loads of overtime available

Otis

Not temping but we always have availability at Ups in Dordon the hours are short and the pay ok I do the midnight shift roughly between 10pm and 2.15 am something like £11 odd an hour there is a twilight shift which is easier but is about £2 odd an hour less, the midnight shift is hard graft I worked the twilight one day last week and it's a piece of piss always loads of overtime available
10pm -2.15am. Like the sound of that. Do you get an hour for lunch as well?

duffer

Cheers TGP, I'll have a dig around on the website. :)

NorthernWisdom

My sympathies... can empathise with the fatness... survive4d my own cull, but lost a day's worth of work which is... annoying, especially as they expect me to do four times the amount in that time, having chopped most of my support!

Anyway, this ramble is a prelude to suggesting you might, perversely, have more luck with what you actually *do* around here, rather than the temp stuff.

chiefdave

There's a couple of new warehouses going up round the back of Coventry Airport, might be worth popping up there to see who is moving in and if there's anything going. When's that new Amazon place off Browns Lane supposed to be happening? Bound to be jobs going when that is ready to go.

Terry Gibson's perm

10pm -2.15am. Like the sound of that. Do you get an hour for lunch as well?

No you go at 100mph for the whole time, you have to handle 1200 parcels per hour I was there for two weeks before I found out where the toilets are! Most days we start at 9.30 and one morning last week I finished at 4.20am as I clean up after everybody goes.

Otis

There's a couple of new warehouses going up round the back of Coventry Airport, might be worth popping up there to see who is moving in and if there's anything going. When's that new Amazon place off Browns Lane supposed to be happening? Bound to be jobs going when that is ready to go.
Yeah, there will for sure. It's been
No you go at 100mph for the whole time, you have to handle 1200 parcels per hour I was there for two weeks before I found out where the toilets are! Most days we start at 9.30 and one morning last week I finished at 4.20am as I clean up after everybody goes.

Mopping up the sweat?

bringbackrattles

Get some ladders and a bucket and a squeegee and do a window round. Out in the fresh air and getting loads of tea and biscuits off the elderly. Pity they don't give you money instead though !

clint van damme

Hi all,

sorry for your troubles mate. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread