Godiva (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I liked some of the lesser known artists from last year;Meadowlark & Spector

This year I though Ekkah were good.

Not sure who I'd like to see as a main act though

Spector were supposed to be the next big thing at one point but it never quite happened for them.

Johnnythespider

So who would you like to see next year? Realistic suggestions only of course. ;)

Bands/artists that might just come to the Godiva.

Off the top of my head, Polyphonic Spree, Squeeze, Mott the Hoople, Ed Harcourt, Clearlake, the Bees.
Of the ones you have listed i would love to see squeeze

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

Of the ones you have listed i would love to see squeeze

Yeah. Think that is a possibility. They are just about at the right stage. Were really big, still popular, recently reformed.

That would definitely be penciled into my diary.

I have seen them twice. Once at Tiffany's around Up the Junction/Cool for Cats stage (Jools Holland was with them) and then again around the Pulling Muscles from a Shell time, in Brum.

Okay, here's a question, favourite Godiva performance of all time?

I will need to cast my mind back, but the Human League were fabulous a few years back.

Johnnythespider

Yeah. Think that is a possibility. They are just about at the right stage. Were really big, still popular, recently reformed.

I have seen them twice. Once at Tiffany's around Up the Junction/Cool for Cats stage (Jools Holland was with them) and then again around the Pulling Muscles from a Shell time, in Brum.

I will need to cast my mind back, but the Human League were fabulous a few years back.
I missed the Human league and have been hoping they would get invited back. My favourite performances are Neville Staple in the rhythm tent a couple of years ago, the place was jumping, and on the main stage the buzzcocks, who tried to bring the sky down, and going a bit left field there was a great performance of Carmina Burana in the classical tent several years ago. I miss the classical tent.

Otis

I missed the Human league and have been hoping they would get invited back. My favourite performances are Neville Staple in the rhythm tent a couple of years ago, the place was jumping, and on the main stage the buzzcocks, who tried to bring the sky down, and going a bit left field there was a great performance of Carmina Burana in the classical tent several years ago. I miss the classical tent.

Yeah, me too.

Yep, the Buzzcocks were very good.

Six by Seven were excellent a long time back. They have done the Godiva twice. The Cooper Temple Clause, Mercury Rev. I missed the Super Furry Animals (though have seen them live before) and also missed Echo and the Bunnymen and I was annoyed about that.

wingy

They were
and I saw Squeeze The Police Madness The beat and an American outfit called Skafish I think who were canned of the stage
All on the same bill at Milton Keynes bowl on an extremely soggy Sunday afternoon in the early eighties.
Re an act for Godiva I reckon the Real Thing from the Seventies would be a good Sunday afternoon close out session with their back catalogue.
On an Eighties theme for a Friday night I'd go for the mighty Ian Mcnabs Icicle works, China Chrisis and The Farm or Pete Wylies Wah for a Scouse hatrick. B-)

Otis

They were
and I saw Squeeze The Police Madness The beat and an American outfit called Skafish I think who were canned of the stage
All on the same bill at Milton Keynes bowl on an extremely soggy Sunday afternoon in the early eighties.
Re an act for Godiva I reckon the Real Thing from the Seventies would be a good Sunday afternoon close out session with their back catalogue.
On an Eighties theme for a Friday night I'd go for the mighty Ian Mcnabs Icicle works, China Chrisis and The Farm or Pete Wylies Wah for a Scouse hatrick. B-)
Icicle Works and Wah are especially astute suggestions.

Otis

I see Doves are on a hiatus and haven't recorded anything for years. Wonder if they would do the Godiva.

Otis

Hard-Fi still officially down as still going, though again no material for a while. I loved their Stars of CCTV album.

wingy

Yeah the Human League went down really well, pretty sure ABC were on the same night.

wingy

I see Doves are on a hiatus and haven't recorded anything for years. Wonder if they would do the Godiva.
Yeah was gutted when the Doves broke.
Think the drummer and guitarist are doing something as. Black River?
You'd think they'd be expensive as still fairly current but saw them at the Assembly rooms doing a warm up for a Manchester homecoming Christmas gig a few years back,so maybe not all about the dollar.

Otis

I am so glad the Godiva didn't go down the tribute band path. Would have been so easy to do and I am sure many would be appeased and quite happy.

Hope it never comes to that.

Johnnythespider

I am so glad the Godiva didn't go down the tribute band path. Would have been so easy to do and I am sure many would be appeased and quite happy.

Hope it never comes to that.
On the subject of tributes it would have been nice to see something done for John Bradbury, maybe name a stage after him or something. As he was a drummer perhaps the "John Bradbury rhythm tent"

wingy

Yeah, me too.

Yep, the Buzzcocks were very good.

Six by Seven were excellent a long time back. They have done the Godiva twice. The Cooper Temple Clause, Mercury Rev. I missed the Super Furry Animals (though have seen them live before) and also missed Echo and the Bunnymen and I was annoyed about that.
Gutted I missed Mercury Rev

Otis

So, who's going and when?

Friday is Cast and the Stranglers and comedy tent, Saturday is the Amazons, Carl Barat and Example and Tom Clarke and Sunday, Badfinger, Kate Nash and the Darkness.

My daughter wants to go all 3 days. She is keen to watch some stand up, though I am not sure on age appropriateness on some acts. Pun Man sounds very much in the same vein as Tim Vine and Gary Delaney, so maybe pretty safe.

I would like to see the Stranglers and maybe the Amazons, who looked pretty decent on Jools Holland and at Glastonbury.

Might give Badfinger a go out of curiosity. Heavily championed by the Beatles back in the day and some good songs in their catalogue. Another one of those bands though with next to no original members in.

There's a circus too on Sunday, so may take the dog that day. Always quieter.

bringbackrattles

The Darkness for me and my son on Sunday. Seen Stranglers before but want to see a band that's new to me live, so its high pitched rock then !

bringbackrattles

So, who's going and when?

Friday is Cast and the Stranglers and comedy tent, Saturday is the Amazons, Carl Barat and Example and Tom Clarke and Sunday, Badfinger, Kate Nash and the Darkness.

My daughter wants to go all 3 days. She is keen to watch some stand up, though I am not sure on age appropriateness on some acts. Pun Man sounds very much in the same vein as Tim Vine and Gary Delaney, so maybe pretty safe.

I would like to see the Stranglers and maybe the Amazons, who looked pretty decent on Jools Holland and at Glastonbury.

Might give Badfinger a go out of curiosity. Heavily championed by the Beatles back in the day and some good songs in their catalogue. Another one of those bands though with next to no original members in.

There's a circus too on Sunday, so may take the dog that day. Always quieter.
Two original members of Badfinger apparently committed suicide.
So this Badfinger will be a new line up.

Otis

Two original members of Badfinger apparently committed suicide.
So this Badfinger will be a new line up.
Yeah, the two songwriters.

Think this is just the bass player and the rest of the band are new. Just can't see it being the same thing.

bringbackrattles

Yeah, the two songwriters.

Think this is just the bass player and the rest of the band are new. Just can't see it being the same thing.
Just googled it and yes two did end it all.
Very tragic all to do with the record company after a fall out. They were best mates and so yes only one original member is there now. He formed it but never the same really ?

shmmeee

Not been since they brought in the fences and tried to make it a proper festival.

Can you drink without mortgaging your house yet? Will I actually enjoy it or will it just be all the shit of a festival without the bands I've heard of and copious drugs? I really don't fancy just standing in throngs of out of towners all day. Used to love the Godiva when you could go down with a crate of beer and a football and dip in and out of tents.

Nick

Administrator
Not been since they brought in the fences and tried to make it a proper festival.

Can you drink without mortgaging your house yet? Will I actually enjoy it or will it just be all the shit of a festival without the bands I've heard of and copious drugs? I really don't fancy just standing in throngs of out of towners all day. Used to love the Godiva when you could go down with a crate of beer and a football and dip in and out of tents.

Yeah, last time I went we strolled up with a crate of beer and spent the day getting smashed on warm beer for about £20.

Users who are viewing this thread