Golf (1 Viewer)

Hadji10

I used to be a pro. I'm now a golf coach if anyone wants a lesson hit me up in my messages. I charge £450 for 3 hours but will give a discount to anyone on here that wants a lesson!

Otis

I used to be a pro. I'm now a golf coach if anyone wants a lesson hit me up in my messages. I charge £450 for 3 hours but will give a discount to anyone on here that wants a lesson!
My wife used to be a pro too.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Nuneaton golf course looks really good but looks like you need a good drive to get a decent score on it. I think we're going to give North Warwickshire a go next.

Going to sound like Kim Jong Il here, but I've had a hole in one as well. Done it at Allesley, no skill involved just pure fluke. :) I'm having the biggest amount of beginners luck ever.
Didn't that short arse clown claim to have 18 holes in one in a round I'm sure I read it before !!

Marty

Pick up my new clubs tomorrow.

Ordered..
Callaway XR Irons
Taylor Made Aero Burner driver and wood.

It felt so nice hitting balls with decent clubs. Can definitely tell the difference in quality. I hope it helps me improve.

Got some tips as well and driving the ball excellently now.

olderskyblue

I had a lesson with a golf pro once...

He told me my problem was that I was standing too close to the ball.....after I'd hit it....... ;)

Otis

I had a lesson with a golf pro once...

He told me my problem was that I was standing too close to the ball.....after I'd hit it....... ;)
When I had lessons he would tell me after I'd hit it too.

Luckily enough for him he only had to walk 5 or 6 steps forwards for me to have another go at it.

I remember playing Brandon once and there was water only about 50 yards from the tee and then clear fairway for a couple of hundred yards.

From the tee I put 8 balls in a row straight into the water. Everyone else in our group had gone about 200 yards or so.

After about 15 mins quite a queue of golfers were starting to form behind us on the tee.

The thing I was best at on a golf course was waving people through. :)

Johnnythespider

I haven't played for about 3 years but was off 14 at that time. If I was to offer a tip to anyone starting out it would be to try and play with people who are better than you, it can seem demoralising but you will learn a lot from them. I used to play with a mate who was playing off 8 he took about 8 shots off my handicap pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

I haven't played for about 3 years but was off 14 at that time. If I was to offer a tip to anyone starting out it would be to try and play with people who are better than you, it can seem demoralising but you will learn a lot from them. I used to play with a mate who was playing off 8 he took about 8 shots off my handicap pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
When I played with people better than me I just made them grumpy.

Otis

I can therefore only play with people who are worse than me, but of course they all have to be home by tea time and are not allowed in parks with older men.

olderskyblue

Luckily enough for him he only had to walk 5 or 6 steps forwards for me to have another go at it.

Errr that was the point of my joke Otis....

Red John

Count me in for the SBT golf day!!
Marty, fair play if you can twat it 300 yards with the big dog, I struggle with my driver badly, one left, one right and one down the middle.....rinse and repeat!
6 iron is my best club, 200 yards and straight, can hit my 3 wood 250 but only hit it clean once in five shots so tend to leave it in the bag......
Just spent weekend at Belton Woods hotel and golf club in Grantham, highly recommend it, 4 star hotel, quality courses and plenty of beer!!

SBAndy

Hitting my driver a fair bit cleaner now, just a slight fade to the flight, slowed my swing right down and opened my stance a little. Still a way off from feeling confident in using it on a course. Hitting just under 300 yards at the range. When I try for power with it I'm still badly slicing it. any tips. I want to hit over 300 yards if possible.

Wish I took up this sport sooner, I think I could have actually been a half decent golfer.

Here's a tip - don't try for power! The harder you throw yourself at it the more there is likely to go wrong. If you're hitting 300 there is literally no need as an amateur golfer to hit it further.

Otis

Here's a tip - don't try for power! The harder you throw yourself at it the more there is likely to go wrong. If you're hitting 300 there is literally no need as an amateur golfer to hit it further.
Sound advice.

The harder I hit the ball the more wayward it goes. If I hit it just nicely without too much power it goes as straight as a die.

stupot07

Hit the swing not the ball was always a great bit of advice.

(*Its best to check theres no kids sat swinging on it before you do! Doesn't go down well wotht he parents I find.)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Marty

Back on the course yesterday after a long lay off with injury. Had a flare up half way round and really feeling it today. Still went round in only 20 over. So more then happy with that.

Seriously need to work on my short game now. After doing a lot of core work and generally just getting leaner. I'm now hitting 300+ yard drives consistently.

Moff

Back on the course yesterday after a long lay off with injury. Had a flare up half way round and really feeling it today. Still went round in only 20 over. So more then happy with that.

Seriously need to work on my short game now. After doing a lot of core work and generally just getting leaner. I'm now hitting 300+ yard drives consistently.

I agree Marty that you probably need to work on your short game, as with hitting 300 yard drives I doubt aside from your driver you need to carry more than a few lofted irons and a wedge in your bag so you must play a lot of short game;) I can only wish to drive the ball that far!

You are right about short game practice though, as important as working on your swing. Sounds like you are a decent level, and hope you are enjoying being back out on the course after injury.
Do you play local?

Marty

I agree Marty that you probably need to work on your short game, as with hitting 300 yard drives I doubt aside from your driver you need to carry more than a few lofted irons and a wedge in your bag so you must play a lot of short game;) I can only wish to drive the ball that far!

You are right about short game practice though, as important as working on your swing. Sounds like you are a decent level, and hope you are enjoying being back out on the course after injury.
Do you play local?

I do want to get some lessons ideally. I play all over really, but I am getting a membership for the windmill.

ccfc92

I played a local 9 hole course in Christchurch yesterday, think ended up about 20 over par. Never played a course before, only driving range :)

Definitely want to get into it more.

Malaka

Here is my theory of golf. My mate Steve is always late for teeing off, we play at Ansty. Now there is a driving range at the side of the first hole. It was a nice Sunday afternoon and as usual I was waiting for Steve to rock up so I sat on the bench by the first and watched 11 people tee off. 7 of the drives ended up in the driving range.
So you golfers out there, understand this, we are all shit, but some of us are less shit than others. That is your starting point, strive to be less shit.

Covstu

Here is my theory of golf. My mate Steve is always late for teeing off, we play at Ansty. Now there is a driving range at the side of the first hole. It was a nice Sunday afternoon and as usual I was waiting for Steve to rock up so I sat on the bench by the first and watched 11 people tee off. 7 of the drives ended up in the driving range.
So you golfers out there, understand this, we are all shit, but some of us are less shit than others. That is your starting point, strive to be less shit.
yep that's Ansty for you! Normally people are walking around nursing last nights session and probably drinking a can for Hair of the Dog. Most of mine landed on the green on the 10th (Par3) so you had that embarrassing moment where you have to pick the ball of their green whilst being growled at.
There is a definite correlation between the quality of the course and the amount of beer cans in each bin at the start of each hole...

CJ_covblaze

Started playing (or attempting to) again for the first time in 8 years. Only had a brief trip round Ansty and a few rounds on a pitch and putt but enjoying it. Didn't think I would.

B-Ban-Boogie

I moved to Florida and EVERYONE plays.
The courses around here are amazing.
I have played TPC Sawgrass twice and the course that TIger woods had his crash in the golf cart when his swedish (?) wife caught him cheating... an amazing course called 'Isleworth Golf and Country Club'. Played with Paula Creamer on that one!! :adore.

Been very lucky with golf here.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Remember the old saying - 'you drive for show and putt for the dough'.
Next time you'read at the range, just take a 9 iron, wedge and sand wedge, nothing else. An hour every so often with just these 3 clubs will knock shots off your game.

Si80

yep that's Ansty for you! Normally people are walking around nursing last nights session and probably drinking a can for Hair of the Dog. Most of mine landed on the green on the 10th (Par3) so you had that embarrassing moment where you have to pick the ball of their green whilst being growled at.
There is a definite correlation between the quality of the course and the amount of beer cans in each bin at the start of each hole...
That is some trick shot to play the ball so far backwards and left! 16th runs alongside the 1st at Ansty :D

Users who are viewing this thread