Good old films (1 Viewer)

Adge

Probably not what you are referring to, but I liked "The Tingler" and "The Blood Beast Terror" (What a title!)
Basically anything with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, or Peter Cushing is good.
"The Blood Beast Terror" has the bonus of featuring the beautiful Wanda Ventham.
Horror express. :emoji_grimacing:

torchomatic

Probably not what you are referring to, but I liked "The Tingler" and "The Blood Beast Terror" (What a title!)
Basically anything with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, or Peter Cushing is good.
"The Blood Beast Terror" has the bonus of featuring the beautiful Wanda Ventham.

Wanda was in UFO and looked gorgeous! Benedict Cumberbatch's Mom, of course.

dutchman

And also Roy Hudd of course providing the comic relief in a cameo part. Saw it at the Empire when it was first released as part of a double-bill with Witchfinder General.

It was the first X-rated film I ever saw. I was only 13 or 14 at the time but tall for my age so could pass for 16. Modern video copies don't do the gothic sets justice, I remember the colours being much more vivid, especially the reds and golds.

Otis

No, in fact I rarely watch any film made before 1960 but that one intrigued me because I'd seen the later version and not the original.
I have access to a large number of older films and just lately I've been watching one almost every day.
However, I must admit I enjoy older films so much more than modern ones.
My favourites are mostly from the 1960's since I believe that was the most creative period in film making.
Really? So many classic movies made before the 1960's. The golden age.

You have some wonderful Hitchcock movies and his biggest catalogue (North by Northwest, The 39 Steps, Rebecca, Vertigo, Shadow of a Doubt, etc. etc. etc), the brilliant Road movies with Hope and Crosby, all the Marx Brothers films, Laurel and Hardy movies, Frank Capra films, John Ford's films, Preston Sturges films. So many wonderful directors and all the great works of Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant and James Stewart etc. Disney's greatest works too. Early Montgomery Clift, Orson Wells, James Dean and Marlon Brando.

Some of the greatest movies ever made have come well before the 60's. Movies that to this day are always in the lists of the top films of all time. Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, The Third Man, Snow White, All about Eve Singing in the Rain, King Kong, The Maltese Falcon, Rear Window, Twelve Angry Men, Vertigo, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, It's Wonderful Life etc. etc.

If you look at top 100 lists of best ever movies still to this day there are so many films from the golden age of cinema.

As you might tell, I am really passionate about my movies. :)

Otis

Yes, remember her as Marty Hopkirks wife and guest appearances in a couple of other ITC programmes, but not much else.
Interested to then read that Clint Eastwood no less reckoned she should have won the Mary Ure part in Where Eagles Dare.

I used to love Randall and Hopkirk. Obviously not the Vic Reeves incarnation.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I used to love Randall and Hopkirk. Obviously not the Vic Reeves incarnation.
Me too Otis, a bit off the wall having a ghost as a leading character but very watchable. Also enjoyed the other ITC shows from that time...Danger Man, The Baron, Department S, The Champions, The Saint, Man in a Suitcase and The Strange Report.
Also agree with the Vic Reeves comment, you can rarely improve on the original.

Otis

Me too Otis, a bit off the wall having a ghost as a leading character but very watchable. Also enjoyed the other ITC shows from that time...Danger Man, The Baron, Department S, The Champions, The Saint, Man in a Suitcase and The Strange Report.
Also agree with the Vic Reeves comment, you can rarely improve on the original.
Yeah. Only when Ant and Dec did Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads. That was much funnier and better than the original obviously.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Had to look her up. Here's Alexandra Bastedo (left) and Wanda Ventham (right):
View attachment 8113 View attachment 8114
That's me cheered up on a Monday morning, can face the week now!
Ms Bastedo certainly had an interesting life. Despite early fame and fortune with The Champions, she seemed to shun the limelight and a celebrity lifestyle. I remember her co-hosting the Miss World contest back in the 70s, a booking not just for her beauty but also for her multi lingual skills. She certainly wouldn't have looked out of place in the competition itself.
In later life she supported a number of charitable causes and founded her own animal sanctuary.
Sadly taken from us a few years ago at only 67.

Gazolba

Just watched "A Yank at Eton" from 1942 with Mickey Rooney and Freddie Bartholomew.
An American boy and his sister go to England to be with their mother who has married an Englishman.
Against his wishes, the boy gets sent to Eton and has to learn the quirky English customs there.
Brilliant film with some hilarious scenes. Great supporting actors and actresses.
A_Yank_at_Eton_FilmPoster.jpg

Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, seen it, but many, many moons ago.

Ian Hunter of course went on to form Mott the Hoople.

Gazolba

"Tickle Me" from 1965 with Elvis Presley and the fabulous Jocelyn Lane.
If you like Elvis musicals, you might enjoy this.
Equal parts drama and romance with Elvis surrounded by gorgeous women and bumbling guys.
Lots of singing Elvis and swooning women with tiny waists.
Worth it just to see the delectable Jocelyn Lane, who plays his love interest.
Tickle-Me-Poster-resized.jpg tickle-me-resized.jpg jocelyn-lane-resized.jpg

Last edited:

Gazolba

I didn't think anyone liked Elvis musicals past diehard Elvis fans.

They're all a bit awful aren't they?
From Wikipedia:

Tickle Me is a 1965 American musical comedy film starring Elvis Presley as a champion rodeo bull-rider and bronco-buster.
Presley won a 1966 Golden Laurel Award as best male actor in a musical film for this role. It is the only Elvis film released by Allied Artists Pictures and saved the studio from financial collapse, Tickle Me helping to avert bankruptcy thanks to a song from its recycled soundtrack, "(Such an) Easy Question", which was a Top 40 hit in the United States, peaking at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reaching #1 on the Billboard Easy Listening chart in July, 1965.[3] The film made $5 million at the box office.
The film was popular at the box office, making over $3 million in the US and $5 million worldwide. It became the third highest-grossing film in the history of Allied Artists and saved the studio from bankruptcy

Gazolba

Think they all got pretty much panned, but if you're a fan you are going to love watching and hearing him sing aren't you.
I wasn't watching Elvis; I was watching Jocelyn Lane.

Otis

From Wikipedia:

Tickle Me is a 1965 American musical comedy film starring Elvis Presley as a champion rodeo bull-rider and bronco-buster.
Presley won a 1966 Golden Laurel Award as best male actor in a musical film for this role. It is the only Elvis film released by Allied Artists Pictures and saved the studio from financial collapse, Tickle Me helping to avert bankruptcy thanks to a song from its recycled soundtrack, "(Such an) Easy Question", which was a Top 40 hit in the United States, peaking at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reaching #1 on the Billboard Easy Listening chart in July, 1965.[3] The film made $5 million at the box office.
The film was popular at the box office, making over $3 million in the US and $5 million worldwide. It became the third highest-grossing film in the history of Allied Artists and saved the studio from bankruptcy
Yep, like I say, not great reviews at all. Popular is something completely different though isn't it. Been some films universally panned that have done well at the box office.

People of course are going to watch a film with Elvis in if they are Elvis fans.

Bet loads of people went to see Spice World.

Gazolba

"The Beginning or the End" from 1947 with mostly actors I'm not familar with but film buffs might know.
The story of the Manhattan Project and the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
Interesting film but not one of the best I've seen lately. Made a loss at the box office.
The_Beginning_or_the_End_1947_poster.jpg

Gazolba

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" from 1974 with Ellen Burstyn, Diane Ladd and Kris Kistofferson.
Jodie Foster has a small part also.
Explores the trials and tribulations of a single mother (Ellen Burstyn) trying to earn a living, bring up her son and find romance, after her husband suddenly dies.
Good film with a wonderful performance from Ellen Burstyn, who won an Academy Award for best actress.
(Shirley MacLaine turned down the role)
Alice-Movie-cropped.jpg

Otis

"The Beginning or the End" from 1947 with mostly actors I'm not familar with but film buffs might know.
The story of the Manhattan Project and the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
Interesting film but not one of the best I've seen lately. Made a loss at the box office.
View attachment 8217

Yep. Brian Donlevy a character actor in many, many movies. Robert Walker famously played the criss cross, swap murderer in Hitchcock's fabulous Strangers on a Train and Hume Cronyn again was in many movies and revitalised his career in appearing as one of the main old crusties in Cocoon in the 1980's.

Gazolba

"The Curse of Frankenstein" from 1957 with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Robert Urquhart.
I had high hopes for this, but it was a disappointment.
It did not help that I could predict everything that was going to happen.
When a pretty, blonde, milk-skinned maiden goes wandering around a dark castle at night armed only with a candle, and goes into a hitherto locked laboratory, it can't end well.
Would probably be very scary to a young first-time viewer.
This film did give rise to some great posters. I like the French one the best.
Curse-of-Frankenstein.jpg Curse-of-Frankenstein-3.jpg Curse-of-Frankenstein-5.jpg Curse-of-Frankenstein-4.jpg Curse-of-Frankenstein-2.gif

Last edited:

Gazolba

"Curse of the Demon" (US) aka "Night of the Demon" (UK) from 1957 with Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins, Niall MacGinnis.
Occult investigator attempts to probe a secretive cult and the cult leader unleashes his devious powers upon them.
Pretty good suspensful horror film, even though the horror is tame by today's standards.
I thought the 'Demon' was a very well done special effect, very creepy.
Curse-of-the-Demon-poster-resized.jpg

Otis

"Curse of the Demon" (US) aka "Night of the Demon" (UK) from 1957 with Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins, Niall MacGinnis.
Occult investigator attempts to probe a secretive cult and the cult leader unleashes his devious powers upon them.
Pretty good suspensful horror film, even though the horror is tame by today's standards.
I thought the 'Demon' was a very well done special effect, very creepy.
View attachment 8255
It's an excellent film. I remember it scaring the living daylights out of me when I was a child. I have always only known of it as Night of the Demon.

Gazolba

"Until They Sail" from 1957 with Joan Fontaine, Jean Simmons, Piper Laurie, Sandra Dee and Paul Newman
Four sisters in New Zealand fall for allied soldiers en route to WWII.
Film explores the romances, heartbreaks and joys of each sister's experiences.
Paul Newman predictably gets his girl in the end.
Wonderful performances from the four actresses.
Lovely theme song sung by Eydie Gorme.
Until-They-Sail-1957-resized.jpg
Oh for the days when women looked like this, with lovely clothes (skirts!) and hair-styles, little make-up, no tattoos, and rode bicycles for transportation, not exercise.

Last edited:

Gazolba

"House on Haunted Hill" from 1959 with Vincent Price and other great actors/actresses (especially Elisha Cook!).
Read about it here: House on Haunted Hill - Wikipedia
I've seen it before, but it was good to see it again.
Lots of suspense and scary moments. Female screaming aplenty.
Vincent Price is at his creepiest best in this film.
Apparently Alfred Hitchcock was influenced by this film to make 'Psycho'.
Doubt whether they could get away with this poster today.
House-On-Haunted-Hill.jpg

Last edited:

Gazolba

Watched a great old film last night "Lolita" from 1962.
James Mason, Shelley Winters, Peter Sellers, Sue Lyon - all brilliant.
Lolita-Poster-resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread