Great City left backs (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

I want to hear about them.

Personally the last one I could think of would be... Harry Roberts. Pearce not here long enough, anybody after him... pretty awful.

rupert_bear

Bobby MacDonald for me was the best I seen, bought for £40000 from Villa, supposedly injury prone and a bit of a bad apple, hardly missed a game, handled most right wingers and scored a goal or two. Not far behind him was Chris Cattlin. Stuart Pearce went on to become a top international and was a good 'un for us but it was at Forest he excelled.

letsallsingtogether

Here is an extract taken from CC banter seems to have answered that question?

QUOTE:
OVER the last 40 years Coventry City have been blessed with excellent right-backs, the likes of Mick Coop, Brian Borrows and Roland Nillson were both talented and consistent with nearly 900 City appearances between them.

At Left Back, frankly we have and continue to struggle.
We have had some excellent left-backs during that period but not to the same level as at right-back.
In the late 1970's, Bobby MacDonald was first choice. Signed by Gordon Milne in 1977 from Villa, he went on to play 161 times in four seasons at City scoring 14 goals.
Stuart Pearce was here for two seasons playing 50 times for City during the 80s before leaving to join Forest were he is best remembered.

While Brian Burrows a permanent fixture at right back the likes of Nick Pickering, Greg Downs, Paul Edwards, Tony Dobson and Kenny Sansom to name but a few were occupy left back berth.

In the mid to late nineties we had three options David Borrows, Marcus Hall and Steve Frogatt. With Marcus performing best with over 200 appearances for City.
In the Noughties only the returning Hall and Danny Fox looked like a being a permanent solution to the problem.
I know a lot of people say that City is a graveyard for strikers but I think the left-back spot is far more troublesome position to fill. City have played nearly half this season already without a recognised left-back. This follows on from last season's problems filling that position. This isn't the case up front where we have recognised strikers...it's just they don't score! End QUOTE

shy_tall_knight

Recently Dan Fox, liked Martin Crainger when he was on loan, Pearce may have had just 2 seasons but he was great. Greggy Downes - awful

wingy

Bobby Mac as good as any for me .

Most of those 14 goals would have been him on the end of a Cross or corner IIRC.

Did he ever get an International call up??

EDIT;- Headed!!

Last edited:

DazzleTommyDazzle

Bobby Mac as good as any for me .

Most of those 14 goals would have been him on the end of a Cross or corner IIRC.

Did he ever get an International call up??

I remember him being in a Scotland squad along with Jim Blyth and Ian Wallace just before the 1978 World Cup finals, but I can't remember if he played.

Sky Blue Kid

One of my favourite left backs in the 1960's at the "City" was a converted left winger called Mick Kearns. Hard no nonsense player, and once he was on the move, could beat anybody down the left wing.

covboy1987

Arguably are best ever and indeed successful left back was Danny Thomas who was capped twice for England and probably would have been even more if injury did not finish his career early -Unfortunately the same as today, the big boys noticed his performances for Cov and he signed for Spurs - He was in Spurs UEFA winning cup final team and missed a penalty in the final

Citysince47

Arguably are best ever and indeed successful left back was Danny Thomas who was capped twice for England and probably would have been even more if injury did not finish his career early -Unfortunately the same as today, the big boys noticed his performances for Cov and he signed for Spurs - He was in Spurs UEFA winning cup final team and missed a penalty in the final

@fraid Danny was a right back. For left backs, I could mention Frank Austin and Dave Clements, but in my humble opinion the best we've had in my time was Chris Catlin. A member of probably the best side we have ever had, which included the likes of Dennis Mortimer, Willie Carr and the beast (Wilf Smith) Oh happy memories

wingy

@fraid Danny was a right back. For left backs, I could mention Frank Austin and Dave Clements, but in my humble opinion the best we've had in my time was Chris Catlin. A member of probably the best side we have ever had, which included the likes of Dennis Mortimer, Willie Carr and the beast (Wilf Smith) Oh happy memories

Ah yes Dave Clements .

NI International ,ultimately moved inside to play left sided CB IIRC a role that he excelled in .

Ended up at Everton didn't he and finished off over In the states ??

torchomatic

Bobby MacD, Stuart Pearce, Danny Fox (Remember that goal at Norwich), even Blair Adams was pretty decent for me.

torchomatic

I actually like Hussey and thought he could have become a good player for us.

Whys no one mentioned Chris Hussey yet? He was and still is the worlds greatest (or so he thought......) ;)

DazzleTommyDazzle

Remember when we signed Jim Brogan from Celtic (I think) and he fought it out with Chris Cattlin for the left back spot.

Used to have half the West End chanting "Spider" and the other half chanting "Brogan".

Wheelfass

One of my favourite left backs in the 1960's at the "City" was a converted left winger called Mick Kearns. Hard no nonsense player, and once he was on the move, could beat anybody down the left wing.
I remember Mick Kearns but I thought he had a number 2 on his back making him a right back with Dietmar Bruck playing at number 3 or left back...........but it was a very long time ago. Can anyone clarify or do I have to look for the box of programmes somewhere in the shed.

Gazolba

I remember Mick Kearns but I thought he had a number 2 on his back making him a right back with Dietmar Bruck playing at number 3 or left back...........but it was a very long time ago. Can anyone clarify or do I have to look for the box of programmes somewhere in the shed.
Found some team sheets from 1968:
CCFC-1968.jpg
CCFC-1968-2.jpg
CCFC-1968-3.jpg

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
For me, (and I've said this many times on these forums), the greatest right-back we ever had (in my lifetime anyway), was Bobby McDonald. He was a legend! Definately be in my all time top players for CCFC!

Users who are viewing this thread