Great City left backs (1 Viewer)

davebow87

Bobby Mac for me too! Remember us putting 5 past Chelsea in about 79 and he ran the length of the pitch to score. Sadly sold to Man City along with Tommy hutch...

Tank Top

I want to hear about them.

Personally the last one I could think of would be... Harry Roberts. Pearce not here long enough, anybody after him... pretty awful.
Harry Roberts ????? You've got to be Joking me,..."Bobby Mac"..."Spider" "Stu Pearce" Jimmy Holmes....Greggy Downes####
And Loads more, But def not, the likable, Jovial,H, Roberts....."Just my opinion of Cause"????..

I liked bobby mac, remember in a game against man city i think, wehad a free kick on the edge of the d of the penalty area, someone rolled the ball to him and as the man city players started to close him down he put his hand up as if the game had been stopped ,all the man city players stopped ,then he suddenly shot,didnt go in but i liked his ingenuity .
Mick kearns was a right back ,dietmar on the left.
Chris cattlin was class as well..

oucho

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember Dave McNamee playing left back for us - though he was decent when he was fit, which was all too rarely sadly.

Dan Fox definitely the best one I've seen playing for us.

lifeskyblue

I think cattlin was my favourite but I think the best was Pearce. Also notable mentions for Bobby Mac and dietmar bruck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember Dave McNamee playing left back for us - though he was decent when he was fit, which was all too rarely sadly.

Dan Fox definitely the best one I've seen playing for us.

McNamee was a right back. Looked very good on the all too rare occasions he played.

AlansEyes

Was there a time where we had Ally Pickering at right back and Steve Morgan at left back? Absolutely terrifying if so, but can't remember if they ever graced the same team sheet.

Adge

Stuart Pearce obviously-Martin Grainger on loan from Birmingham City was good for a short period. Dean Gordon just for the comedy effect.

Terry Gibson's perm

I liked Marcus Hall to be honest, always remember him putting it a flying tackle. I would say a consistent left back.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I liked Marcus Hall when he played for Stoke as he used to get beaten every time.

oscillatewildly

In my lifetime of watching, nobody since has come close to Bobby Mc. (He did leave under a bit of a cloud tho as I recall)
Pearce was good but nowhere near the formidable 'superstar' he became at Forest.

no_loyalty

I remember we had Kenny Sansom for a couple of season's

Hobo

Danny Thomas,Bobby MacDonald, Jimmy Holmes and Stuart Pearce by a long way, were the best left backs.

Warwickhunt

Was he the 1960's fresh prince?
Sure was! German born was a star player for Sheffield Wednesday he used to steal the ball rather than tackle the opposition players always look bemused how he came away with the ball

phildownunder

Harry Roberts ????? You've got to be Joking me,..."Bobby Mac"..."Spider" "Stu Pearce" Jimmy Holmes....Greggy Downes####
And Loads more, But def not, the likable, Jovial,H, Roberts....."Just my opinion of Cause"????..

"Tank Top", now there`s a name from the past ! (CT forum). Used to enjoy his comments and banter. No longer on here I presume ?

Sorry Astute. There I go off topic again.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Unquestionably Bobby McDonald.
...however, Graham Oakey for me was the best attacking full back and most exciting of all time but tragically his career was cut short by injury.

Pete in Portugal

Unquestionably Bobby McDonald.
...however, Graham Oakey for me was the best attacking full back and most exciting of all time but tragically his career was cut short by injury.

I remember going to a pre-season friendly between Reading and City at Elm Park in the late 70s. The single page 'Programme' had a certain G. O'Key playing for us - made me smile. Aside: Reading had the enigmatic Robin Friday playing for them. He had unbelievable skill on the ball.

Bobby Mac was easily the best LB I saw for us and Chris Cattlin was excellent too. No-one has mentioned Allan Harris yet. He wasn't a 'great' but he was quick and pretty hard too - especially in the first of his two seasons with us.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread