Greatest Sportsman ? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

So today Andy Murray is confirmed as the best tennis player in the world.

The first Britain ever to achieve this.

An amazing achievement.

The argument is finished.

stupot07

Yeah amazing achievement. Regardless of Djorkovic's form, Murray has been another level the last few months.

Well done Andy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wingy

An amazing achievement.

Well yeah
But he won't be British for long in your world :-o
But seriously well done to the dour guy.

Johnnythespider

An amazing achievement.

Well it would be if this thread was titled "Greatest British Tennis Player"

skybluetony176

You can't knock Andy Murray for what he's achieved and congratulations on being would number one. Greatest British sportsman of all time though, I'm not so sure. What about Steve Redgrave, Johnathan Edwards, Joe Calazagi, John Surtees, Joey Dunlop?

Otis

I don't think the argument is finished at all. If he can sustain the world number one position, then that would strengthen his case enormously.

Is it an award you achieve and hold for a year, or is is it in permanent fluctuation?

Otis

Oh, and I don't think I would ever hear the day when Grendel says the argument is finished.

With Grendel the argument is never finished. All he ever does is argue and h has the longevity to go on and on for eleventy billion pages plus. :)

bringbackrattles

Forgot I started this thread but well done to Andy Murray well deserved. Still not sure he's our greatest sportsman though. But definetly worth a shout.

Hadji10

Manny Pacquiao.

The guy gives 70% of his money building new hospitals and paying random peoples Medical bills in the Phillipines. Oh and he's good at boxing.

What a man.

CJ_covblaze

My quest now is to find a 12 year old crumpled up piece of paper with "Andy Murray to become World number 1, 200-1, £20" written on it.

Struck it before I was even legally allowed to gamble before the Junior US Open in 04. Got a lot of crap located in various offices, cupboards and rooms. Wish me luck.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think the argument is finished at all. If he can sustain the world number one position, then that would strengthen his case enormously.

Is it an award you achieve and hold for a year, or is is it in permanent fluctuation?
Each event holds ranking points depending on when you finish in the tournament and the prestige of the tournament.

Ranking points last for 12 months, so it's like a rolling 12 month system. So after 12 months the points you gained will expire.

Because the tennis schedule is almost the same every year you will often hear people talk about defending ranking points, example at the Australian open 2017 djokovic will have 2000 points to defend (djokovic won the 2016 Aussie open so this is the max amount) this means if Djokovic wins the 2017 tournament he will have a net gain of 0 points in the rankings because the points from the 2016 tournament will have then expired.

Because Murray didn't have a great start to 2016 in comparison to djokovic this means Murray has a good chance of keeping the number one spot till around May time next year as djokovic has potentially a lot more ranking points to lose between now and then.

Gazolba

Been reading today in the paper about WG Grace who was born today in 1848. He scored 54,000 runs, took 2,876 wickets,and 871 catches in first class cricket. In 1876 he was the first man to score 300 runs in an innings,and did it again a week later. He also played bowls for England and founded the English Bowls Association. Now those stats are impressive.
Back in those days weren't the cricket bats two feet wide?

Users who are viewing this thread