Hatred - Whats the fuss? (1 Viewer)

Marty

[video]https://youtu.be/NcIsEcZQrLc[/video]

I can't understand the negative publicity this is receiving. Clearly it's violent and graphic, but as a top down shooter is it really all that bad? Is it really all that different to the latest installment of COD or Battlefield?

Dead Nation, a very similar game, received non of this backlash, but I suppose slaughtering waves of zombies in a post apocalyptic world is completely different, almost acceptable.

I'd have never heard of this game if it wasn't for the media, and as such, I will be buying it, not because it looks like it'll exciting (it looks rather dull infact), but because I'd like to show support for a developer that is willing to push the boundaries.

Nick

Administrator
Looks quite good actually, not sure how you easy it would be control with that above view though :(

Marty

Dead Nation uses the same view. It takes advantage of using both analog sticks. Left stick to run around, right to aim.
It works extremely well. If they use the same button layout it could be fairly successful game.

lewys33

I agree people should be able to buy/play whatever they want.

It is a bit extreme though ...... christ!

Covstu

Theree are some warped games out there at the moment, this is no different. Still doesnt want to make me go and shoot people but i dont live in America!

Marty

Theree are some warped games out there at the moment, this is no different. Still doesnt want to make me go and shoot people but i dont live in America!

Not sure if you're aware, but there have been studies carried out on the effect that violent video games have on young minds (think the age range was something like 8-18). It was 10 years long, with over 11,000 children used. This showed no negative effects on the children or their behaviour.

Another study has shown that fast paced action games actually improve things like eye sight & arthritis in the old.

I'm sick of the media portraying 'gamers' as basement dwellers, losers, lacking in social skills, etc etc. Anything bad happens and suddenly it's video games to blame. Just taking the spotlight away from things like lax gun laws, lack of mental health help, bad parenting. They'll use anything to take the spotlight away from the real issues.

ajsccfc

My main issue is that the makers appear to be prioritising the controversy and making a name out of that, like if Katie Hopkins knew how to code.

I don't think there's much in the way of subject matter that should be taboo in any media though, surely that's why we have age certificates and trust parents to do their jobs.

Anyone blaming games for society's ills has no actual basis to back it up. The worst it's ever done to me was getting cramp from sitting cross-legged too long, but Sony laughed me out of court.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I have never understood the people who blame their kids being naughty on computer games. Why is their 7 year old playing GTA anyway?

ajsccfc

If anyone believes that video games do subconsciously affect behaviour, I'd implore them to see how many versions of FIFA and PES I've played to death in the past 20 years, then come watch me try to play actual football. They'll never make the argument again.

jimmyhillsfanclub

If anyone believes that video games do subconsciously affect behaviour, I'd implore them to see how many versions of FIFA and PES I've played to death in the past 20 years, then come watch me try to play actual football. They'll never make the argument again.

On the flip side, I spent all my pocket money & several school days per month in 1982 down the arcade playing Pac-Man.......a smiley faced weird creature, running around darkened rooms to repetitive beats, munching pills......

.... now guess what I did from 1988-1994? :p:whistle:;)

ccfc92

Personally, I believe that there's simply mentally stable and mentally unstable people.

The stable see something violent in a game/movie, switch it off afterwards and forget it.

Those unstable will already have these thoughts, and see violence and copy it.

Some games/movies do go too far, but for someone to copy what they see, is down to themselves IMO, not the game/movie...

Covstu

Personally, I believe that there's simply mentally stable and mentally unstable people.

The stable see something violent in a game/movie, switch it off afterwards and forget it.

Those unstable will already have these thoughts, and see violence and copy it.

Some games/movies do go too far, but for someone to copy what they see, is down to themselves IMO, not the game/movie...

Hmm i think if you are born (or develop) a mental disability then yes i would agree, the others are born more from poor childhoods who are angry and hit out at the world. Computer games are escapism for the best part but sadly some people translate that into reality.

For me, i play the PS4 for a bit of light relief and actually relieves stress (unless i am stuck on a bit!).

ajsccfc

When I've read people on forums saying that they've broken a controller when throwing it in frustration, even that seems alien to me. If the last mission of Driver on PS1 didn't kill me, nothing will!

Covstu

When I've read people on forums saying that they've broken a controller when throwing it in frustration, even that seems alien to me. If the last mission of Driver on PS1 didn't kill me, nothing will!

I know its crazy, have you seen the youtube clip of the lad who conceeds a last minute goal on FIFA? He picks his PS4 up and throws it and the controller out the window!

ajsccfc

The worst I've done is swear a lot on the Zero missions in San Andreas. First round of cursing was doing the missions eventually, the second round was when I found out you don't actually need to do them in the first place to move the game on. Damn you Zero, damn you to hell

Users who are viewing this thread