Heathrow Airport 'Blocked By Black Lives Matter' (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

It's a protest - the idea is that a protest disrupts.

If I'm not mistaken I believe someone died in custody at Heathrow.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's a protest - the idea is that a protest disrupts.

If I'm not mistaken I believe someone died in custody at Heathrow.

Potentially.

Wasn't this in 2007 or something though? Also, the person was trafficking drugs weren't they? I thought they died because the packaging they were carrying drugs in came apart inside them.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Shouldn't it be about all lives matter?

Why don't the police just move them?

A movement arguing racism (which is a bit debatable anyway) trying to make their cause by saying Black Lives Matter (imagine if there was a White Lives Matter movement) by lying in the motorway doesn't give me any reason to respect them at all.

Nick

Administrator
Who died at all of the other places? It will probably be packed out with people who just go to protests.

What happened in Nottingham for them to lie on tram lines and block it off?

If I did that, the police would pick me up and move me out of the way.

Bernie Rhodes Nose

A movement arguing racism (which is a bit debatable anyway)?
  • Black people are overrepresented by more than a factor of two for deaths in police custody since 1998.
  • Black people are up to 37 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people.
  • Black people are three times more likely to be arrested than white people.
  • Black people are 44% more likely to be detained under the mental health act than white people.
  • Black people are three times more likely to be unemployed than white people.
  • Black Caribbean pupils were almost four times more likely to be permanently excluded from school in 2009-10 than the school population as a whole.
  • There has been a 57% increase in reported racist hate crimes since Brexit vote.

Nick

Administrator
Are they protesting against Racism in General or police killing black people?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

• Black people are overrepresented by more than a factor of two for deaths in police custody since 1998. Unreasonable force on some occasions no doubt, however they commit more crime and are therefore more likely to be in custody.
  • Black people are up to 37 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people. They commit more crime and are therefore more likely to be stopped, even if the proportion might not seem quite fair.
  • Black people are three times more likely to be arrested than white people. They commit more crime and are therefore more likely to be in custody.
  • Black people are 44% more likely to be detained under the mental health act than white people. Maybe they're more likely to have mental health problems?
  • Black people are three times more likely to be unemployed than white people. Is that because no one wants to hire them, or because in those situations they aren't as good in comparison to someone of a different race?
  • Black Caribbean pupils were almost four times more likely to be permanently excluded from school in 2009-10 than the school population as a whole. That isn't racism, it's pure fact that Black Caribbean pupils are more badly behaved, which feeds the fact that more of them as adults commit crime.
  • There has been a 57% increase in reported racist hate crimes since Brexit vote. A lot of this is not focused on Black people, but European citizens in general. Agreed, the behaviour is not acceptable however.

In America Black people make up 13% of the population, yet commit 48% of the crime. Whilst I completely empathise and agree that police brutality is not acceptable, I have little sympathy with the victim card being pulled out in general, when more police officers are being killed by blacks than the other way around, and that black on black killings trump almost any other form of murder.

CCFC88

• Black people are overrepresented by more than a factor of two for deaths in police custody since 1998.
  • Black people are up to 37 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people.
  • Black people are three times more likely to be arrested than white people.
  • Black people are 44% more likely to be detained under the mental health act than white people.
  • Black people are three times more likely to be unemployed than white people.
  • Black Caribbean pupils were almost four times more likely to be permanently excluded from school in 2009-10 than the school population as a whole.
  • There has been a 57% increase in reported racist hate crimes since Brexit vote.

I'm forever seeing stats like this, they look great in headlines but surely there are more to the stats?

Black people are up to 37 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people.

Is this not because black people are 37 times more likely to be in the areas where and when stop and searches happen? For instance if you go to London, in some of the higher crime rate areas and see groups of youths hanging around, a much higher proportion of that group would be black, the same can be said for the majority of high crime areas in the uk.

Black Caribbean pupils were almost four times more likely to be permanently excluded from school in 2009-10 than the school population as a whole.

I went to a school with a high proportion of black Caribbean pupils, a higher percentage of trouble was caused by this group so they are bound to have a higher rate of exclusions. If a black and a white kid were in trouble for committing the same offence at school, would you suggest that the black kid is 4 times more likely to get expelled? If so that's completely not true but it's what the "stats" suggest

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

"On the #BlackLivesMatterUK Facebook account, the movement said it was using the anniversary of the death of Mark Duggan - whose killing by police sparked nationwide riots - for co-ordinated nationwide action."

How can you use a thug as a poster boy for a movement that is complaining black people don't get hired for jobs?

Ashdown

Whatever the issues and stats, disrupting ordinary peoples lives and ruining holidays potentially by people missing flights etc is not going to endear these protesters with anyone. They need to be in Hyde Park or Parliament square if anywhere...............or some might say doing their school homework or looking for a job !

Bernie Rhodes Nose

From the age of 14 I have beenI have been a victim of stop and search in all areas. I work in education and I have witness over the last 15 years 5 deaths from students, which have had an emotional effect. I have also witness first hand the different ways that exclusions have been handled. I have also done the Hyde Park/Parliament Square. The summer holidays are always a nervous time of year for me.

Nick

Administrator
From the age of 14 I have beenI have been a victim of stop and search in all areas. I work in education and I have witness over the last 15 years 5 deaths from students, which have had an emotional effect. I have also witness first hand the different ways that exclusions have been handled. I have also done the Hyde Park/Parliament Square. The summer holidays are always a nervous time of year for me.

What do you mean by deaths from students?

Pipehitterz

In normal society
With law abiding people

What are those stats please?

I would say they're the same as everyone's .

Start acting right and you won't be victimized.
I was married to a black woman for 15 years and the amount of racism that was directed in any direction was twice

AT ME (white) by black people

Pick the bones out of that Station

Bernie Rhodes Nose

I know your not taking the piss. I value all members views on this site. I understand that their people who fill that 'blacks' play the race card at every opportunity but when people feel they are not been listen to they tend to form protest groups. During the summer holidays a lot of students are vulnerable to the inner street culture. I always advise the parents to not let them out on their own or make sure they join summer schemes. Unfortunately a lot of areas do not offer such facilities and this is where the problem occurs. A lot of them come into contact with the police, gangs or radical groups (I taught a student who was involved in a high profile case). These students are ill equip to handle the situation. What is the solution? I don't know. But things cannot continue like this. I pray there will come a time when there is no need for protests and we...right I'm stopping there. We just need to talk!!!

Bernie Rhodes Nose

In normal society
With law abiding people

What are those stats please?

I would say they're the same as everyone's .

Start acting right and you won't be victimized.
I was married to a black woman for 15 years and the amount of racism that was directed in any direction was twice

AT ME (white) by black people

Pick the bones out of that Station
I did act right.

Nick

Administrator
I know your not taking the piss. I value all members views on this site. I understand that their people who fill that 'blacks' play the race card at every opportunity but when people feel they are not been listen to they tend to form protest groups. During the summer holidays a lot of students are vulnerable to the inner street culture. I always advise the parents to not let them out on their own or make sure they join summer schemes. Unfortunately a lot of areas do not offer such facilities and this is where the problem occurs. A lot of them come into contact with the police, gangs or radical groups (I taught a student who was involved in a high profile case). These students are ill equip to handle the situation. What is the solution? I don't know. But things cannot continue like this. I pray there will come a time when there is no need for protests and we...right I'm stopping there. We just need to talk!!!

What do you mean by inner street culture? Are you referring to uni students or young kids?

CCFC88

Im not sure how this relates t

I'm not sure how this relates to the black lives matter group? Kids get up to trouble when their bored in the summer holidays, nothing new there over the past 40 years?

rob9872

The way to win public support is nor to block roads and disrupt people going on holiday who work hard all year and save up for time away with the family. Be complaints of racism no doubt when frustrated travellers get angry at them being there. Always the victim.

Philosorapter

Im confused..

Cant understand this campaign. Utilitarianism covers this.

By definition from the name of the group, positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Why don't you teach the framework of building a better society rather than blaming society?

Philosorapter

America has so many problems with individual rights, the Bill of Rights is so out of date it's laughable. Here we have ECHR, well for a few years left anyway for protections Surely the organisers must realise the differences between the two legal systems.

If I had a flight and missed it because of these clowns I would sue the hell out of them.

Gazolba

The very statement "Black Lives Matter" is racist!

Race relations in the USA is very different to the UK. In the USA, there is always the lingering resentment of slavery since most blacks did not originally come to the USA voluntarily. In the UK it is entirely different, most blacks came voluntarily from former British colonies

CCFC88

The people doing this in the UK are just bored and fancied doing something similar to their namesakes in the US, they have said that their actions today are because of the anniversary of Mark Duggans death, a killing that was on a completely different spectrum to those that have brought about protests and riots in the US.

Nick

Administrator
The people doing this in the UK are just bored and fancied doing something similar to their namesakes in the US, they have said that their actions today are because of the anniversary of Mark Duggans death, a killing that was on a completely different spectrum to those that have brought about protests and riots in the US.

Exactly, the bloke had a handgun on him didn't he?

CCFC88

Exactly, the bloke had a handgun on him didn't he?

He was a known gangster with a warrant out for his arrest and was shot trying to escape I believe, in the US they are being killed for reaching into their pockets for a driving license, I get the protests over that, this today was just nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread