Higgs vs CCFC Court Row (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Simon is on overtime tonight by the looks of it!

A bitter high court battle between two of the key players in the Ricoh Arena rowwill ensue next week.Coventry City owners Sisu and The Alan Edward Higgs Charity will lock horns at Birmingham High Court on Tuesday, April 1.
It is the first event in what is expected to be a summer of discontent for Sky Blues fans. Another high profile legal wrangle is lined up for June 10 when a judicial review will take place into Coventry City Council’s handling of a £14million finance deal with Ricoh Arena operating firm Arena Coventry Ltd (ACL).

Meanwhile, supporters are forced to travel 35 miles to Northampton to support their team at ‘home’ games, while the majority refuse to attend completely. There also appears to be no clear indication of when, or if, the club will return to the city.
The first hearing is expected to last three days and will see the two warring parties go head to head over the charity’s claim for expenses incurred during negotiations back in 2012.

Negotiations centred on the club’s attempt to purchase the charity’s stake in ACL - a joint venture company between the Higgs Charity and the council.

The charity’s claim is for £29,000 and is based on a negotiation clause which stated that if talks broke down the club would cover the charity’s costs accrued as part of the process.

However, the club will defend the claim and has launched a counter-claim against the charity - ten-times that amount at £290,000. It is believed the counter-claim is higher due to club owners incurring larger costs as the pro-active party in negotiations.
At least three witnesses are expected to give evidence and be cross examined by either side’s barristers.

Among those to be called are likely to be Peter Knatchbull-Hugessen, clerk of the Higgs Charity, and Paul Harris, a trustee of the charity.

It is understood Laura Deering - who is believed to be Sisu boss Joy Seppala’s personal assistant - could also appear. Ms Seppala is not expected to be present during the proceedings.
The Higgs Charity has released a statement on its website which states the action is being taken to protect the charity’s funds: “In 2012 negotiations began for the sale of the charity’s shares to Sisu without result.

“The charity is a publicly accountable body and must always act on professional advice. There was an agreement in place with Sisu that up to £29,000 of the charity’s costs would be covered in the event that no deal was completed due to a number of factors all outside the charity’s control.

“The charity’s present claim is to protect the charity’s funds and to recover their abortive costs in accordance with the agreement with Sisu in the sum of £29,000.
“Sisu has responded to the charity’s claim by serving a counterclaim against the charity for £290,000 on the basis that the charity prevented Sisu from agreeing a transaction with ACL’s former lenders, Clydesdale Bank.
“The charity are defending Sisu’s counterclaim.”

Club bosses believe the charity must shoulder the blame for negotiations breaking down with the council after ACL and the city council agreed a deal which saw the council effectively become ACL’s mortgage lenders by buying the stadium company’s bank debt.

Club sources have previously maintained that Sisu paying off the debt was a key part of the discussions and that the club was forced out of a potential deal as a result of the council stepping in.

From here - http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/ricoh-arena-row-coventry-city-6881039

GaryPendrysEyes

Suing a Coventry charity for £290,000; what happens if they win? Coventry fans happy Sisu pay their investors that? Bonuses for Tim or Joy? even putting it in the team? happy with that??? A disgrace.

'The Alan Edward Higgs Charity ... was set up specifically to help deprived children from Coventry and within 25 miles of Coventry. ...The charity has given millions of pounds to good causes over the years'

Lorksalordy

We wait with baited breath for the first adjournment - Paddy Power giving evens on "within 15 minutes" and 11/12 on "without anything of any consequence occurring"

Astute

Suing a Coventry charity for £290,000; what happens if they win? Coventry fans happy Sisu pay their investors that? Bonuses for Tim or Joy? even putting it in the team? happy with that??? A disgrace.

'The Alan Edward Higgs Charity ... was set up specifically to help deprived children from Coventry and within 25 miles of Coventry. ...The charity has given millions of pounds to good causes over the years'

SISU have been acting like children and feel as though they have been deprived as they haven't been handed the Ricoh in Coventry.

Grendel

The charity initiated the proceedings

boatang

I suggest that if The Alan Edward Higgs Charity lose, they just put any assets into a new charity called the Alan E Higgs Charity, put the old one into administration, and just carry on with the blessing of the FA and FL.

Astute

The charity initiated the proceedings

So they shouldn't try to get their expenses from SISU as was agreed before talks had started?

Or are you saying you hate a children's charity as well as CCC.

Grendel

So they shouldn't try to get their expenses from SISU as was agreed before talks had started?

Or are you saying you hate a children's charity as well as CCC.
Im stating a fact.

Its fairly clear that sisu have a predictable strategy to being sued.

If the charity are correct they win and if sisu's claim is correct they win.

The court will decide.

Grendel

The Charity are at fault, they made a big mistake.

The mistake was to ever get involved with SISU.

They clearly didn't do due dillegence on them so they are to blame - they deserve all they get.

GaryPendrysEyes

Higgs brought an action, Sisu didnt have to sue a Coventry charity for 10 times that amount, they could have just defended the action.

If any Coventry fan supports a Cayman hedge fund suing a Coventry children's charity for £290,000 they should be fooking ashamed of themselves.

J

Jack Griffin

A new low in morals from SISU as the strategy to distress a Coventry charity rolls on.

Grendel

A new low in morals from SISU as the strategy to distress a Coventry charity rolls on.

Which I am sure will be exposed in court and they will lose incurring costs.

If they win they are correct to have taken the action.

Fail to see a problem.

RoboCCFC90

Laura Deering.... Who? Another name of which means nothing and relates nowt to our Club.

GPE by the way if you think the issue of Higgs being sued (Counter Claim technically) by the Clubs owners for £290,000 is wrong then the Charity should have considered this before deciding to take Sisu to court. It's all well and good you and many others coming on here and saying it's wrong, etc, however Higgs must have been well aware that this response was possible from a company who have previously been referred to being "at home in the court room".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty Trombone

Laura Deering.... Who? Another name of which means nothing and relates nowt to our Club.

GPE by the way if you think the issue of Higgs being sued (Counter Claim technically) by the Clubs owners for £290,000 is wrong then the Charity should have considered this before deciding to take Sisu to court. It's all well and good you and many others coming on here and saying it's wrong, etc, however Higgs must have been well aware that this response was possible from a company who have previously been referred to being "at home in the court room".

Are the Charity complaining? Why does people thinking it's wrong mean that it is something the Charity didn't consider?

GaryPendrysEyes

The point is whether people like you and Grendel support a counter action for 290k by a Cayman hedge fund against a well established Coventry children's charity. The answer is evidently 'yes'. I hope you are proud of yourselves.

RoboCCFC90

The point is whether people like you and Grendel support a counter action for 290k by a Cayman hedge fund against a well established Coventry children's charity. The answer is evidently 'yes'. I hope you are proud of yourselves.

I am not proud of anything, I am pointing out the facts, let's be honest it's not morally correct and not supportive to sue any charity, especially a Coventry Based Charity.

Yet our owners haven't been great with respect to morality.

I am not supportive of the action from Sisu or the Charity, I want this mess to end.

RoboCCFC90

I can't see where he said he supports it?

Forget it Nick, it's not a problem it's another assumption from someone who has an opinion yet doesn't have any relative facts about the poster or there position on the matter.

dongonzalos

I can't see where he said he supports it?

He didn't TBF. He just said this is the reaction they would get.

However I maybe wrong in this but as a charity if the legal advice is to sue to recoup the money. Don't they have an obligation to follow the legal advice.

SISU could have won a bit if PR here and said they will defend themselves and ask for legal costs from the charity.

RoboCCFC90

He didn't TBF. He just said this is the reaction they would get.

However I maybe wrong in this but as a charity if the legal advice is to sue to recoup the money. Don't they have an obligation to follow the legal advice.

SISU could have won a bit if PR here and said they will defend themselves and ask for legal costs from the charity.

Sisu aren't interested in winning PR Dong when are you going to realise that.

GaryPendrysEyes

I would hope this would be an issue where people who care about Coventry would tell Sisu to 'do one'. But instead it's the usual bollocks from Grendel, Robbo and Nick.

RoboCCFC90

Are the Charity complaining? Why does people thinking it's wrong mean that it is something the Charity didn't consider?

I am sure the Charity have considered all their options. It doesn't sound like they have many issues with it.

Which is what I would expect.

Nick

Administrator
I would hope this would be an issue where people who care about Coventry would tell Sisu to 'do one'. But instead it's the usual bollocks from Grendel, Robbo and Nick.

Wait a minute, I was just pointing out somebody didn't actually say something you accused them of.

If it is found the Higgs have been wronged, I assume they will get their money and costs paid for by SISU? Nothing to worry about then is there?

RoboCCFC90

The usual bollocks although I haven't logged on for a week or so?

People want Sisu to do one yet don't let that cloud your judgement on anyone who doesn't agree with your view.

RoboCCFC90

Wait a minute, I was just pointing out somebody didn't actually say something you accused them of.

Forget it Nick seriously some people are just clouded in their own opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread