Hilary benn (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

If you did that it would be logical to make it part of a full reform taking out all unelected peers ... Hereditary, ex business leaders, party funders, ex MPs.
Why single out bishops, who actually often make very valuable contributions to debates? Religion has many facets, good, bad and ugly. Secularisation is not the answer.

Hell, lets go the whole hog and turn ourselves into a Republic.

This Democracy thing and its intrinsic natures; Liberty and Equality, really does fall down where you have unelected people in office. Making valuable contributions to debates is always a good thing but its the voting thing that concerns me. Cant you make valuable discussions to debates and not vote?

Seems to me to be a throw back to when the Church was a more power institution than what it is now. Then came the renaissance and the rest you could say is history.

The time of divine command theory is long gone in this country. Normative ethics is the way forward but most politicians, local and national are to unskilled to realise the dangers this may bring.

I put forward the case of Cllr Damian Gannon. Cabinet member for cluster bombs and apparently on an ethics committee as well for the perfect example of the uselessness of people in local government when it comes to ethics.

This is why Coventry needs to move left a little bit. For no one in the Labour party to realise this, then it is only right to have a clear out and start again.

For the people who voted for change in the recent Labour Leadership race, to get themselves more organised at a local level.

http://www.peoplesmomentum.com/

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

If you did that it would be logical to make it part of a full reform taking out all unelected peers ... Hereditary, ex business leaders, party funders, ex MPs.
Why single out bishops, who actually often make very valuable contributions to debates? Religion has many facets, good, bad and ugly. Secularisation is not the answer.

You will find I am opposed to an unelected head of state let alone unelected peers, although I think the principle of a 'reviewing chamber' makes sense. If religion has a role in the law then all who do not subscribe to that religion must abide by it anyway. There should be no religious test for a position in government.

Grendel

You will find I am opposed to an unelected head of state let alone unelected peers, although I think the principle of a 'reviewing chamber' makes sense. If religion has a role in the law then all who do not subscribe to that religion must abide by it anyway. There should be no religious test for a position in government.

That's a very dangerous statement

fernandopartridge

Hell, lets go the whole hog and turn ourselves into a Republic.

This Democracy thing and its intrinsic natures; Liberty and Equality, really does fall down where you have unelected people in office. Making valuable contributions to debates is always a good thing but its the voting thing that concerns me. Cant you make valuable discussions to debates and not vote?

Seems to me to be a throw back to when the Church was a more power institution than what it is now. Then came the renaissance and the rest you could say is history.

The time of divine command theory is long gone in this country. Normative ethics is the way forward but most politicians, local and national are to unskilled to realise the dangers this may bring.

I put forward the case of Cllr Damian Gannon. Cabinet member for cluster bombs and apparently on an ethics committee as well for the perfect example of the uselessness of people in local government when it comes to ethics.

This is why Coventry needs to move left a little bit. For no one in the Labour party to realise this, then it is only right to have a clear out and start again.

For the people who voted for change in the recent Labour Leadership race, to get themselves more organised at a local level.

http://www.peoplesmomentum.com/
I follow Gannon on Twitter. He's definitely a careerist looking to climb the greasy pole. He very rarely mentions local issues but continually posts to undermine Corbyn.

martcov

I would find it a lot more dangerous if we took believing in God as a pre-requisite for being able to pass legislation.

It is for being a bishop in the House of Lords and being CofE helps if you want to get on in the Conservative party. I would prefer it to be a bar to getting near to having power to send an army into a religious hornet's nest.

Philosorapter

I follow Gannon on Twitter. He's definitely a careerist looking to climb the greasy pole. He very rarely mentions local issues but continually posts to undermine Corbyn.

There are a few that I have been watching as well. How did they make it into Local Government?

Gannon's Twitter is well worthy of a visit. It's like he has thrown all his toys out of the pram like a petulant child. When are the Coventry Labour councillors and a few of its MPs going to come to the realisation that the Blair/Brown days are long gone.

Time to start listening to the people again.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Looks like a career politician who has a made up job, has he ever worked in the real world. All his posts seem anti Corbyn or anything other than saying what he can do! I expect he will be leader after old the old witch Lucas clears off.

Users who are viewing this thread