Hillary / US Election Thread (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

Also the republicans won both houses so it would be absurd to have Clinton as a lame duck president.

Wasn't she against the Gay marriage legalisation, then on the campaign supported gay marriage?

I may have that wrong, but she is equally as guilty as playing to the crowd as Trump.

Just. Speak. In. Short. Sentances.

U.S.A!

martcov

Didn't Obama lose the popular vote? Of course it's democracy. It's separate states voting with seats in each state relating to population in that state.

Actually he didn't I checked - but 5 have. In the the uk it's not uncommon either but it's silly to cry foul all the time when results don't go your way.

I'm not crying. I just pointed it out without comment. The person who called the system 'a disaster' in 2008 was not me, but Donald J Trump.

Yes the same one who said the 2016 election would be rigged.

ccfc92

Did you protest/resent the Leave vote Mart? I know you were on here before the vote debating for Remain, but just wondered what your reaction was/is to the leave result as a strong remain person?

Genuine question/debate btw :)

ccfc92

It is an hour later here, but I don't get your point. Gina Miller is right to challenge May and her attempt to bypass parliament. Unfortunately the police have now advised her to stay at home for her own safety. It seems the brexiters don't like decisions that go against them.

It wasn't a dig, it was just a case of cba to wait for responses and then eventually post links etc :) I do find your point of views interesting to read, as you're an expat in Germany. (if I have that correct)

My point is, if you refer to my first post you responded to, is the Remain camp were always going to challenge and try and overturn the vote, as it was expected to be victorious in the Brexit vote.

martcov

Did you protest/resent the Leave vote Mart? I know you were on here before the vote debating for Remain, but just wondered what your reaction was/is to the leave result as a strong remain person?

Genuine question/debate btw :)

Well there is a video of me somewhere from German TV on the day after, wearing my England shirt and saying that the decision was stupid and the reasons why. It is in German though..,

martcov

My point is, if you refer to my first post you responded to, is the Remain camp were always going to challenge and try and overturn the vote, as it was expected to be victorious in the Brexit vote.

Yes as was Farage if it went the other way. He said in May, that if it was only 52:48 he would take it as work to be done and wouldn't accept it. He also said, if it were 2/3 1/3 he would accept it as decisive.

ccfc92

Well there is a video of me somewhere from German TV on the day after, wearing my England shirt and saying that the decision was stupid and the reasons why. It is in German though..,

Ah, German TV. I have a story about me being on German TV :D

ccfc92

Yes as was Farage if it went the other way. He said in May, that if it was only 52:48 he would take it as work to be done and wouldn't accept it. He also said, if it were 2/3 1/3 he would accept it as decisive.

But the remain expected a land slide didn't they? Just like Paddy Power paid out on Clinton bets early...

martcov

It wasn't a dig, it was just a case of cba to wait for responses and then eventually post links etc :) I do find your point of views interesting to read, as you're an expat in Germany. (if I have that correct)

I am tired. I've been working since 09:00 and have to start again at 09:00 in a few hours. I am now in Leipzig for 10 days and will listen to the latest on RB Leipzig and Legida ( offshoot of pegida ). Good night..

henry the wasp

Forget the latest on RB Leipzig, it's derby day today in the cup. Chemie v Lokomotive. You've picked a perfect day to be in Leipzig. Stay safe.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I reckon from now on you should have to pass some sort of intelligence test to be allowed a vote. I mean children aren't allowed vote because supposedly they don't understand the issues and have the necessary life experience to make proper decisions so why not apply the same to the adult population?

ccfc92

I reckon from now on you should have to pass some sort of intelligence test to be allowed a vote. I mean children aren't allowed vote because supposedly they don't understand the issues and have the necessary life experience to make proper decisions so why not apply the same to the adult population?

Surely that takes away everybody's right to vote?

For example, a farmer may not know about economy/healthcare issues, but know's about issues facing farming etc, and wants to vote for someone promising better farming solutions, so does he pass the test?

Captain Dart

Ever heard of the 'wisdom of the crowd' ?

Ashdown

Farage.
You couldn't make shit like this up.
Acting like the kingmaker.
Unimaginable a few months ago, not particularly keen on either individual but given the lies, threats and more of the same bullshit from their opposition that's what you get. Hopefully the whole political spectrum will be shook up from now on, people just don't want more of the same old propaganda from the establishment anymore.

wingy

Unimaginable a few months ago, not particularly keen on either individual but given the lies, threats and more of the same bullshit from their opposition that's what you get. Hopefully the whole political spectrum will be shook up from now on, people just don't want more of the same old propaganda from the establishment anymore.
The man is an arse.
Is he a party leader, an MP?
Self promotion at its worst, we only got here as an expediency exercise in holding the Conservative party together.

martcov

Is he a party leader, an MP?
Self promotion at its worst, we only got here as an expediency exercise in holding the Conservative party together.

Looks like he is angling for a job as some sort of liaison person between Trump and Europe and in particular Britain. An envoy? A bit of of a comeuppance for Boris and May. They should be top of the list for first politicians from Britain to meet the president elect.

martcov

He's showing all his worst traits.

That being said, as the apocalypse draws closer, still expecting him to be welcomed back into the Tory Party fold, and getting a job as Home Secretary before you know it!

Or foreign secretary. He has probably upset or insulted the same amount of people as Boris, so is well qualified for the job. If.....he sneaks into the government , could he become a minister without portfolio using his 'expertise' to deal with EU problems, lobbying Trump or Brexit deals?

dancers lance

They do a version of that in North Korea and Mao Tse-Tong had a very similar system in China (having to pass a "test" before you could vote)

wingy

I get that Ashdown, just don't want to see the world descending into anarchy.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Surely that takes away everybody's right to vote?

For example, a farmer may not know about economy/healthcare issues, but know's about issues facing farming etc, and wants to vote for someone promising better farming solutions, so does he pass the test?

I don't know if the farmer passes the test or not, if he scores the required amount on the test then yes he would pass.

dancers lance

I don't know if the farmer passes the test or not, if he scores the required amount on the test then yes he would pass.
What sort of questions do you think this test should contain, who would write it, who would administer it and who would make the final decision on the pass or fail?

ccfc92

But the farmer could be unable to read and write, yet is a highly skilled man practically, but fails the test. Does that seem fair.

The problem with this "test" idea, is it's assuming over 50% of voters are "stupid, ill informed and gullible", which I don't believe is true IMO.

Liquid Gold

There is always difficulties with tests, as mentioned before who administer and grade the test would have a lot of power and if you centralise that much power there is potential for abuse.

I think something where people are forced to read party manifestos and understand what the party they are voting for intents to do in government would be interesting though.

martcov

But the farmer could be unable to read and write, yet is a highly skilled man practically, but fails the test. Does that seem fair.

The problem with this "test" idea, is it's assuming over 50% of voters are "stupid, ill informed and gullible", which I don't believe is true IMO.

You're assuming 50% is the figure. No one knows the real figure, but judging on Trump's successful tactics, there are obviously enough that meet your criteria to swing a vote.

Users who are viewing this thread