How Do You Handle Things ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

With terror threats and murder on the rise in the U.K. I'm interested in knowing how people cope/think about it ? People in London and Manchester have come together and stuck two fingers up at the Jihadis. Talking to some people today it was a mixed reaction, a few really scared, but the rest with a what will be attitude. Myself I'm thinking that if it kicks off with me there,how would I react ? I'd like to think I'd be macho and brave, but who knows how you'd react .
What do others think ?

chiefdave

Same here, would love to think I'd get stuck but I know the reality would be i'd be getting out of there as quickly as possible.

In terms of how it impacts day to day I don't think you can let it. You're still statistically more likely to die from lots of other things. If I'm at a big event it might cross my mind but only in the same way that when I'm sat on a plane about to take off I might wonder if its going to drop out of the sky.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It's impossible to tell without being in that moment, I'd like to think I'd be like the off duty copper rugby player taking them all on but in reality I guess, you go into fight or flight mode! I guess if they're there in your face it's you or them you fight otherwise you'd get yourself to safety.

Plus I would imagine like on Saturday the visual of a bloke with a suicide vest on would send you into flight mode more!

One thing is for certain I'd get stuck in helping any casualties and my phone would only leave my pocket to call the emergency services not for 'retweets' or Facebook 'likes'

Terry Gibson's perm

Depends who I was with , if I was with the kids I would protect them in anyway possible and would kill to protect them but would get away if possible.

If I was with my brother we would go towards it and try to get involved.

But you just don't know until you are in the situation

bringbackrattles

Not a terrorist incident but us of a certain age will remember the hooligan days at matches. I saw a few lads who gave it the swagger and you expected them to get stuck in when it kicked off,but when it did they ran off !

fernandopartridge

With terror threats and murder on the rise in the U.K. I'm interested in knowing how people cope/think about it ? People in London and Manchester have come together and stuck two fingers up at the Jihadis. Talking to some people today it was a mixed reaction, a few really scared, but the rest with a what will be attitude. Myself I'm thinking that if it kicks off with me there,how would I react ? I'd like to think I'd be macho and brave, but who knows how you'd react .
What do others think ?
Live near Manchester and travel regularly to London. Have felt on edge in the past travelling to London, never felt that way in Manchester even after last week.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Brylowes

I think a lot of people still feel fairly insulated from it , its when they start hitting smaller cities, towns
and even Villages that it will really start to affect the way people live and behave.
Scary times indeed.

pastythegreat

In terms of how it affects me day to day, I try not to think about it. The Mrs. Is a cagey person at the best of times and tries not to watch too much news anyway so she doesn't overly like public places. Doesn't like it when I take the lad places etc. Was worried about Wembley and such.

On how I'd act/react during a terrorist attack depends on the situation. There could be several scenarios.
If I'm with the family then 110% priority is to make sure they're safe at all costs. If I'm on my own/with friends that can make their own choices then I'd way up my options.
Suicide bomber? No chance of fighting, you've just got to help keep people around you calm and get away.
Shooting people? Unless you have a weapon yourself it's not really much of a fight. You've no chance so play dead or get the fuck out and leave it the the old bill.
Knife attacker? If you're clever, quick and aggressive you could potentially fight him. As he's got the weapon and and the element of suprise though the advantage is going to be with him! So again, situation dependant.

I know my strengths and I know my weaknesses. Of all the 1st aid courses and battlefield 1st aid I've done in my lifetime I'm shit at it, I'm not very confident at it and I panic! So in terms of helping the wounded I'm no good but keeping people around me calm and helping them escape get free/hide.

In terms of the aftermath, everybody is different and reacts in a different way. I know that regardless of how many times you see it you'll never forget trauma like that. The sight, the sound, the smell. It'll never leave you until the day you die. It's something you don't think about everyday, but it's something you'll never, ever forget.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

My wife and I were talking today and she reckons a hospital will be the next target

Brylowes

My wife and I were talking today and she reckons a hospital will be the next target
Hate to say it, in fact I'm not going to say it, but I fear it could be even worse than that,
These people are monsters and their hate knows no bounds.

pastythegreat

Hate to say it, in fact I'm not going to say it, but I fear it could be even worse than that,
These people are monsters and their hate knows no bounds.
If I'm thinking the same as you, the spine shudders at just the thought of it!!

Brylowes

If I'm thinking the same as you, the spine shudders at just the thought of it!!

It does, but for these maniacs it's all about pushing boundaries and causing maximum
Shock and terror, their ultimate aim is to turn people against each other.

pastythegreat

It does, but for these maniacs it's all about pushing boundaries and causing maximum
I don't doubt that for a second. It just doesn't bear thinking about.
The only people that are being turned on are Muslim communities who are being blamed for these idiots monstrosities.
Will they ever realise that things like this pull us closer together and make us stronger?
I remember a picture I once saw on twitter that summed it up perfectly. It was London the morning after the Blitz. Through the smoke and fire and rubble was a milk man doing his rounds as normal. And that picture spoke a thousand words. To me it said to ISIS, Hitler flattened half of London, he killed more than 30,000 people and injured nearly 100,000 more. If they didn't succeed, what chance have you got?

Brylowes

I don't doubt that for a second. It just doesn't bear thinking about.
The only people that are being turned on are Muslim communities who are being blamed for these idiots monstrosities.
Will they ever realise that things like this pull us closer together and make us stronger?
I remember a picture I once saw on twitter that summed it up perfectly. It was London the morning after the Blitz. Through the smoke and fire and rubble was a milk man doing his rounds as normal. And that picture spoke a thousand words. To me it said to ISIS, Hitler flattened half of London, he killed more than 30,000 people and injured nearly 100,000 more. If they didn't succeed, what chance have you got?

I've seen that iconic photo and it does say those things, I just fear the more things that
Happen, the more fragile relationships will become in our communities.
I run a pub and some of the things I'm hearing over the bar off 'usually placid normal
Everyday people" are giving me a very uneasy feeling.

pastythegreat

I've seen that iconic photo and it does say those things, I just fear the more things that
Happen, the more fragile relationships will become in our communities.
I run a pub and some of the things I'm hearing over the bar off 'usually placid normal
Everyday people" are giving me a very uneasy feeling.
I'm not sure with the fragile relationships and breakdown between ourselves. I think it has always been one of them subjects where for years, through PC people have been too afraid to talk about it. They'll always be some far left PC brigader on hand to shout you down and out you as some massive racist and bigot for opposing some shitty scumbags idea of his religion. But people aren't afraid to talk about it anymore, we're growing stronger and more confident with every attack. Even some left wingers I know have had enough and think something needs sorting fast!
I think eventually there will come a point when even Lily Allen will have to admit that enough is enough!

Last edited:

Otis

Maybe, but my guess is a university. So diverse, so many backpacks and rucksacks donned day to day anyway and so many thousands of students in and out, constantly moving.

I think in some locations in life (train, shopping mall) you can look out perhaps for a suspicious, bearded, Islamic looking (if there is such a thing) person with a backpack.

Hardly going to stand out at a university though are they.

The more they blend in the easier it may prove to be for them.

Rich

For me I think it would depend on what they are carrying. A suicide vest or gun I'd be out of there like a shot.

Just a knife then you've got a good chance of fighting them off with a chair or glass to the face etc.

In reality, I would hope they'd get no-where near me and I'd run before they get chance to get near me.

bringbackrattles

On the news tonight there was a bloke all bandaged up in hospital after being stabbed by one of the terrorists in London. He was in a pub when the nutter burst in and started stabbing drinkers.He saw the guy wearing an Arsenal shirt and shouted at him "I'm Millwall and steamed in at him." Never thought I'd say I admire a Millwall fan but I think this one is a hero !

SkyblueBazza

I think a lot of people still feel fairly insulated from it , its when they start hitting smaller cities, towns
and even Villages that it will really start to affect the way people live and behave.
Scary times indeed.
Bloody hell Brylowes! Give 'em a few ideas why don't you? Good positive thinking m8

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Yep...'Shock & awe' from Stormin' Norman was a reassuring rallying cry at the time. My how it seems to have come back to haunt us all

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
It's hard to say how I would react to it.

I'd like to think I'd be Jonny Concrete and lay them all out but in reality I'd shit myself and run. If my family were there then of course they would be first.

It also depends on the situation, if I thought they had bomb vests or guns it's completely different to knives. Even with a knife if you even tried to fight them you have to be pretty sure they aren't getting up or you find something to use so they can't get close. Their mindset is to kill as many people as they can and they are pumped up. To go from having a beer to get into that mindset with the flick of a switch would take some doing.

The other thing I thought about this is wondering if the terrorists are on drugs when they do stuff, that's also going to have an influence.

Puts into perspective the job of police and ambulance workers where they will run into the danger and then turn their backs and concentrate on victims rather than themselves and for a pittance too.

As ISSS says though, I certainly wouldn't be thinking about filming it or trying to get myself on the news.

pastythegreat

It's hard to say how I would react to it.

I'd like to think I'd be Jonny Concrete and lay them all out but in reality I'd shit myself and run. If my family were there then of course they would be first.

It also depends on the situation, if I thought they had bomb vests or guns it's completely different to knives. Even with a knife if you even tried to fight them you have to be pretty sure they aren't getting up or you find something to use so they can't get close. Their mindset is to kill as many people as they can and they are pumped up. To go from having a beer to get into that mindset with the flick of a switch would take some doing.

The other thing I thought about this is wondering if the terrorists are on drugs when they do stuff, that's also going to have an influence.

Puts into perspective the job of police and ambulance workers where they will run into the danger and then turn their backs and concentrate on victims rather than themselves and for a pittance too.

As ISSS says though, I certainly wouldn't be thinking about filming it or trying to get myself on the news.
A few of us had this conversation on a previous thread a few weeks back. It is probably one of my biggest gripes about modern day life. It boils my piss. I fucking hate it. People around you are being murdered ffs. And your 1st reaction is to get you phone out and fucking film it?!?! Are you for real??!!??!!

Nick

Administrator
You can see the pattern though, the other week when tiger killed the keeper somebody had a picture of the air ambulance.

Journalists were all over it like flies on shit.

pastythegreat

You can see the pattern though, the other week when tiger killed the keeper somebody had a picture of the air ambulance.

Journalists were all over it like flies on shit.
I think most journos are lowlife anyway. Most would do anything for a scoop. But it's the general public that annoy me. Like most on here have said it's fight or flight. Personally I think the vast majority op people's initial reaction would be to run. And fucking Damn right too. It's all well and good being the big man when some piss head wants fisty cuffs outside kebabish, but when some nut jobs waving around an AK47? Get the fuck out, run as fast as you can. And if you can't run? Get your head down, hide, play dead!! Stand around and watch/film it?? Really?? Not me thanks!!

Nick

Administrator
I think most journos are lowlife anyway. Most would do anything for a scoop. But it's the general public that annoy me. Like most on here have said it's fight or flight. Personally I think the vast majority op people's initial reaction would be to run. And fucking Damn right too. It's all well and good being the big man when some piss head wants fisty cuffs outside kebabish, but when some nut jobs waving around an AK47? Get the fuck out, run as fast as you can. And if you can't run? Get your head down, hide, play dead!! Stand around and watch/film it?? Really?? Not me thanks!!

Exactly, doesn't matter how hard you are if they have guns and huge machetes that will take your arm off and are intent on killing as many as possible.

I'm not sure about the thought process to get their phones out or even in the aftermath start filming things.

Users who are viewing this thread