How much would you pay for an iPhone / Android App? (1 Viewer)

How much would you spend on an app for SBT?

• 99p

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • £1.49

• 79p

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I ain't paying for that!

• What is an app?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
Hello,

I will be developing an iPhone / Android app but it costs about £99 to become an Apple Developer to be able to launch the app.

To get this sorted I just wondered how much you would be willing to pay and if you would buy / download the app to use Sky Blues Talk.

The poll is above.

im-confused

I have an ipad. I would download an app for my ipad, but I wouldn't pay for one when I can go onto this site using a mobile browser.

sy79

i'd happily pay £1.49 for the app if its nice, simple and makes it easier then going online with my iphone!

Steve1974

I have an android phone and would pay for an app. Going by most app's I think around the £2 mark us a good buy so £1.49 is a good price to pay.

MatthewWallis

Having a dedicated app would be good but I'm
Not paying a lot for something I can use for free on my
Mobiles browser so I think 59p is fair

edgy

The forum works perfectly well without the need for an app, so I wouldnt pay for one.

keBaB

Are you considering tapatalk? I use several forums without the need for it... SBT works really nicely without any apps. Please don't waste your time and money. It's a clean and quick forum, no need for third party apps. (I use an iPhone 4)

Nick

Administrator
I have it Tapatalk enabled already but a nice Sky Blues Talk specific app has been requested a few times :)

It will be a fully custom app :mad:)

BenInTurin

Facebook User
It's a good idea nick but I find the forum works well through the browser on my phone so I don't know if I would pay for an app, plus I'm a tight bastard! ;)

The CableGuy

It depends really on what extra content would be available, compared to to accessing SBT on the mobile web.

I'll be happy to pay £1.49, if there's some extra content and the App is compatible with Android 2.1 - there's a lot of phones out there (like my HTC Hero) which will probably never have an official upgrade to Android 2.2 or beyond.

gouldberg

I have a Blackberry so would not be able to use the app, and considering how much I like my phone, I will be sticking with BB when entitled to my upgrade. I only use apps on my Blackberry if they are free anyway, so I will be sticking to using SBT via my web browser.

keBaB

sensible ideas here Nick, the forum is sweet as is, I'd buy an app if it had a unique selling point... give us a hint as to what goodies it might have and if i like them i'll throw my weight behind it and happily spend £1.49 on it...

Walking Bird

As a few say if it has extras that would enhance the mobile experience i wouldn't be too adverse to paying a small amount..

JCR1987

It depends what it'd cost you to do it. If it's expensive to develop and you'd have to charge loads for it then I'd say don't do it cos the mobile version of the site works well. However, if you can do it cheap and charge little or nothing for the app (£0.00 - £1.00) AND the app works better/offered more than the web version, then yes, I'd buy it.

Nick

Administrator
The app would be faster than normal web browsing and would show the articles better :)

It really depends on what else I could develop on it. It would only have the same features as the main website anyway :)

SkyBlue_Am

I have a BlackBerry and only download the free apps from blackberry ap world so wouldnt pay for this ap if it was an option sorry im a tight bugger lol :p

rob9872

I only use this site on my laptop or at work and don't have a fancy phone. Just a sim only deal for a tenner a month so I wouldn'y use it and haven't voted - good luck though :)

Nick

Administrator
It doesn't matter either way :) It was just I didn't want to spend too much time if nobody wanted it :)

It would also only be Android and iPhone.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I would definitely use an android app, this forum takes ages to load on my xperia because its too complex. I would pay £1,49 for it, especially the money helps keep the forum up :)

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I have a blackberry so it wouldn't work on mine but I'd pay the £1.49 if I had iPhone if it works faster. Had a 4 hour train journey today so I was on SBT on my mobile alot during that and while it works well and looks good it can be slow at times if you're on the phones internet (ie not connected to a wireless broadband etc)

So if the app works faster might be worth a go if enough people are interested but as I said I have Blackberry anyway and the browser version is still pretty decent :)

Skyblueloyal

I go for £1.49 max but I would need Android platform for me

bawtryneal

Like some of the guys above I have an Ipad. £1.49 is fair for an app. I would pay that for sure even though it is free using your browser.
You cannot even get half a pint of beer for £1.49 these days.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sorry but I have BB so no use to me

For me it would depend on the content. I think this topic should be more about what requirements people have for an App then look at a solution afterwards....Pehaps that way the content would be a winner from the start?

If it is a straightforward app to mirror the site then what benefits would you get, the site seems fine on my Iphone4

kapowaz

An app is a waste of time in my view. The development costs will far outstrip the benefits (to do it well) and as others have pointed out, it's not even necessary.

The best way of approaching this is simply to create mobile browser-specific CSS and views — trim away the fat (all the pointless things that most people don't use that would otherwise get in the way in a mobile browser) and create views tailored for a portrait-orientated screen of the size on most modern smartphones. If you're on a Mac you can even download the Xcode developer tools which includes an iPhone simulator that'll let you test the mobile stylesheets without actually using the device itself.

Users who are viewing this thread