I alway's thought Cloughie was a brillant manager (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

However , didn't like him nicking Pearce off us - On this day 1985 & just 2 days after the end of the season @Coventry_City sold Stuart Pearce & Ian Butterworth to Forest for £400,000
DA5ciWVXkAAitA4.jpg

Sky Blue Harry H

Ian Wallace too - and what about that big lump of a centre forward we once had (damn - forgotten his name) - lanky, lots of hair and from the NE (did he score about 4 against Sunderland once? Memory is not what it was). Come on - help me out!!!

Bob Latchford

Ian Wallace too - and what about that big lump of a centre forward we once had (damn - forgotten his name) - lanky, lots of hair and from the NE (did he score about 4 against Sunderland once? Memory is not what it was). Come on - help me out!!!
TBF re Wally , we got a good price for him . paid for Ryton think ? Bamber ?

Sky Blue Harry H

TBF re Wally , we got a good price for him . paid for Ryton think ? Bamber ?
Loved Wallace - gutted when he went = just remembered the other one - Steve Livingstone (vague memory of going to Forest,, again may be a memory thing!)

Sky Blue Harry H

.... just checked on google . Livingstone never went to Forest (Blackburn?!). Good call with Rosario !

Bob Latchford

.... just checked on google . Livingstone never went to Forest (Blackburn?!). Good call with Rosario !
Ah Livingstone , really liked him when he came on the scene . shame he never reached his potential with us . think he did go to Blackburn . Rosario came from Norwich to us . started crap , then starting playing brilliant , then sold to Forest for a paltry 100 K

skybluedan

Remember rosario scoring for Norwich sure it was goal ofvthe season and wegerle did as well I think for qpr?

The Great Eastern

Rosario knew a few days in advance of the announcement that he had won goal of the season. Surprise, surprise...there was a flurry of bets on him in the Norwich area. The bookies knew they'd been stitched up but I dont remember if they paid out or not

Terry Gibson's perm

Was it a million for Pearce and we had to pay them 600k to take the idiot.

Am I correct in thinking that Pearce took a penalty at the west end which hit the bar and seemed to go high into the sky?

Grendel

Rosario was rubbish.

Also we got half a million for him

Last edited:

Bob Latchford

Was it a million for Pearce and we had to pay them 600k to take the idiot.

Am I correct in thinking that Pearce took a penalty at the west end which hit the bar and seemed to go high into the sky?
It was 400k for Pearce n' Butterworth . I do recall Pearce hitting the west end goal bar in a new years day game . had he scored they'd have won 0-1 . I still think he missed on purpose .

Adge

Cloughie was the best and should have got the England job. Not many liked him along the same lines as people not liking Ferguson, but you can't argue with his record. Probably stayed at Forest one year too many.

Bob Latchford

Cloughie was the best and should have got the England job. Not many liked him along the same lines as people not liking Ferguson, but you can't argue with his record. Probably stayed at Forest one year too many.
Definitely.

chorlton

Speaking of Rosario, I'm certain it was him that kicked Trevor Francis into the air at Hillsborough. The action was at the other end of the pitch so nobody noticed but he just booted him.

rupert_bear

Cloughie did a classic trick to get Pearce, he initially bid £250k for Butterworth which was turned down then upped it to £400k if Stuart Pearce was added to the deal, what a steal. Within a year Butterworth was flogged off to Norwich for about £250k so Cloughie got the next England left back who went on to win 78 caps for a paltry £150000 !!

stevefloyd

Cough and Taylor were a brilliant managerial team, Clough was brash and Taylor could certainly pick a player, I don't think Clough was so good after Taylor left but still loved him a great character

Bob Latchford

Cloughie was an outstanding manager before the drink started to rule his life. He also bought Larry Lloyd of us for paltry £60k & he helped forest win the title and European Cup.
Wasn't LL in our reserves at the time ? career going nowhere hence only 60 k for him .

Colin Steins Smile

Wasn't LL in our reserves at the time ? career going nowhere hence only 60 k for him .
Yes - he had fallen out with the manager at the time. Something he managed to repeat a few years later at Forest. However, my highlight of LL was the goal he scored against Norwich at home. He smashed it past Keely from a long way out!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Great Manager when you think of the unfashionable teams and players he worked with he could work wonders he took John McGovern everywhere no other manager would have entertained him . By the way Great goalscorer as well

st john

Yes - he had fallen out with the manager at the time. Something he managed to repeat a few years later at Forest. However, my highlight of LL was the goal he scored against Norwich at home. He smashed it past Keely from a long way out!
Was that the one where he miss hit it and put his head in his hands, and the crowd groaned, only for it to loop over the goalkeaper's head and drop in. Can't remember which game that was but it sounds like this one.

Bob Latchford

Great Manager when you think of the unfashionable teams and players he worked with he could work wonders he took John McGovern everywhere no other manager would have entertained him . By the way Great goalscorer as well
A natural goal scorer . would be worth a fortune today .

Gazolba

Maybe he was the best but only when teamed up with his right-hand man, Peter Taylor. By himself, he was useless.

Bob Latchford

Did you know that he was nearly our manager just before he accepted the Forest job instead?
Yes . he fell out with the Derby board and , Derrick Robins [ I think it was ] almost got him to sign for CCFC . what could've been .

Brylowes

Yes . he fell out with the Derby board and , Derrick Robins [ I think it was ] almost got him to sign for CCFC . what could've been .
I heard it was all agreed and he and Peter Taylor were due back in Coventry the next
Morning to sign, was then contacted about Forest that night and politely dropped us.
We were a very similar club to Forest and Derby At the time, so you really do have to
Wonder what might have been.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I loved Cloughie. He was the best manager of any club, anywhere, in my opinion! Funnily enough, "The Damned United" was on, only a couple of nights ago. Brilliant film with Michael Sheen and Timothy Spall in the roles of Clough & Taylor. Sublime! Cloughie's autobiography, simply called "Clough - The Autobiography" is a brilliant read. Highly recommended!

letsallsingtogether

Did you know that he was nearly our manager just before he accepted the Forest job instead?
Bit like now it was leaked to the media, and he said they were untrustworthy so went to forest instead....:(

Users who are viewing this thread