"I could have been a contender" players! (2 Viewers)

I would be interested to know the players which you believe could have established themselves in Sky Blue had it not been for either;
1) Injury (i.e. S Robson, Osborne)
2) Tactics (i.e. E Ward, Morrell)
3) Over-expectation / Fan abuse (i.e. McIndoe, Kyle)
4) Being a Knob (i.e. Bellamy, Thornton)

Nice to see Bell quietly winning fans over (whilst staying off the treatment table!)

I feel that Jordan Clarke could be the next player who could be made or broken by the fans. Great touch and natural ability, but a lot of learning and development needed. Just hope he is given the space to develop, and doesn`t become a victim to the same numbnuts who slated Turner, Konjic, K Gallacher and G McAllister during their `unconvincing` starts to their CCFC careers, all players with positive personalities and a desire to rise above the nonsense!

Mr pot

For Jordan Clarke's physique I thought in the last few games he hold his own. He seems to be developing a decent footballing mind and I believe he will shine in the future

bamalamafizzfazz

I have one, a bit like Marmite. I think people will be divided about his quality but McNamee stands out for me. He had a good record before coming to us and started really well. Of the times we saw him play he was fast, powerful with a good first touch and quality cross.
Always regret that we didn't see more of him but obviously he has had a torrid time with injuries in his career.

Tankie

I suppose the one that stands out is.........
Kevin Thornton....
such a naturally gifted footballer, he could have become a idol at this club,He could have retired from the game in his mid 30s, financially secure, but the party gene in his brain was too powerful, and he chose to reject the many last chances he was given by the club.
The path this lad chose to follow was nothing short of a criminal waste of so much talent in a young lad that could have had the world at his feet.

Regards..Tankie.........Bedworth:wave:

skybluesteve76

What about Robert Rosario! The Peter Crouch of the 90s. I loved him as a teenager on the west terrace. Great partnership with Mick Quinn, didn't do alot before or after. Not everyone's cup of tea!

CovScott88

Kevin Thornton for me. Incredibly talented lad with bags of ability, but let himself down coutnless times with his off the field antics.

kg82

Here's one. Never looked like a world beater but always looked talented I thought and went on after to play Champions League football for Ajax and Anderlecht - Laurent Delorge!

rob9872

David Smith was dubbed as the new Kevin Keegan when he burst onto the scene (I think it was the hair). He rose and fell so quickly and disappeared via Brum and Grimsby. Decent technique but far too lightweight and easily found out.

The Rosario one was interesting that someone mentioned. For ages he seemed pants to me, then we got him playing well in a new midfield position, made him captain and then sold him for £50k less than we bought him for. Very odd.

However the one that I always think deserved bette and could have fired us much higher was Aloisi. So disappointed when we let him go.

procdoc

Kevin Thornton
I can't believe he wasted his life in the kasbah on a monday night drinking 50p bottles instead of knuckling down and realising his potential. He's still young (23/24?) so he could still become good but time will run out on his career quickly

LastGarrison

David McNamee and Lee Hurst were definitely the 2 that sprang to mind. McNamee looked a superb player at this level but just couldn't get properly fit.

Hurst was destined to be a very good player until he went on that Army Training Course thing and did his knee in. Real shame.

How about Keith O'Neill?? No doubt he was a decent player, just a complete failure for us. Always remember that game when he came on as a sub and then had to be resubbed about 10 minutes later. Shocking.

LastGarrison

Here's one. Never looked like a world beater but always looked talented I thought and went on after to play Champions League football for Ajax and Anderlecht - Laurent Delorge!

I hated Delorge with an absolute passion!!!! Had no bottle and wouldn't go anywhere near a tackle. Grrrrr

LastGarrison

Oh and can't believe no-one has mentioned Noel Whelan.

He had the talent to be a great player but never lived up to his expectations.

mattylad

Dean Kiely of course, but the you could not blame him for moving on as he was never going to shift Oggy.

ajsccfc

McNamee's a good shout, he's one of those likeable players who's had horrible luck. A much lower-profile version of Owen Hargreaves in that sense.

kg82

I hated Delorge with an absolute passion!!!! Had no bottle and wouldn't go anywhere near a tackle. Grrrrr

True, bit of a bottler! No where near as bad as Runar Normann though - who was in the team at the same time! No wonder we didn't go up in the first 2 years after coming down!

bamalamafizzfazz

Another one just jumped in my head. Stuart Giddings. Didn't see much of him but another one with serious injury problems. At the time the fans heard a lot about his quality and his potential but sadly we never got to see it.

Also, does the one that got away count? ROBERT JARNI!

LastGarrison

True, bit of a bottler! No where near as bad as Runar Normann though - who was in the team at the same time! No wonder we didn't go up in the first 2 years after coming down!

Another one I had absolutely no time for!!!! :jerkit:

bamalamafizzfazz

In the nob category has to go Jay Bothroyd. A player with real quality as he has demonstrated in later years but for City lazy on the pitch and trouble off it, straight out the door when things went south for the club.
He has class though and I think a move to the premiership will be good for him next season, I think he will surprise many.

bamalamafizzfazz

i always like steve froggatt was starting to show good form until nicky summerbee splattered him

I love Steve Froggatt, scorer of one of my favourite ever goals.
45 seconds in, always brings a smile to my face.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=x5qv_UOHVYU

RedSalmon

Agree about Lee Hurst. Thought he had a superb future in front of him until the army assault course publicity stunt!!

Noel Whelan was another that never seemed to fulfill his potential. Expected him to finish his career with at least twenty England caps!!

Was gutted when John Aloesi left the club. Never given a proper chance here sadly.

hamil99

Facebook User
I love Steve Froggatt, scorer of one of my favourite ever goals.
45 seconds in, always brings a smile to my face.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=x5qv_UOHVYU

Love this clip. The football we were playing was beautiful too, one touch passing, counter attacking with proper crosses in. Hope we can shadow this team nxt yr!

Users who are viewing this thread