I like Rio

Discussion in 'Football & Other Sports' started by clint van damme, Sep 19, 2017.

1. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

but what the fuck is he thinking with this nonsense:

Rio Ferdinand: Retired footballer to launch pro boxing career

Rio Ferdinand is launching a new career as a professional boxer, two years after he retired from football.

The 38-year-old's move into the ring is being backed by betting company Betfair, which announced the news on Tuesday.

Former Manchester United and England defender Ferdinand works as a TV pundit and he has his own clothing line.

"I'm doing this because it's a challenge," he said. "I've won titles and now I'm aiming for a belt."

He has posted several social media videos in recent months showing him boxing and working with personal trainer Mel Deane.

Ferdinand, who won the Premier League six times and the Champions League once during his time in Manchester, may follow in the footsteps of former Birmingham City midfielder Curtis Woodhouse and former Crystal Palace forward Leon McKenzie, who became professional boxers after quitting football. Woodhouse became British super-lightweight champion.

2. Nick

Nick Administrator

It will be something like Flintoff where he does a documentary and has a fight at the end of it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score likes this.
  3. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

At least someone might knock some sense into him.

4. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Seems crazy, especially to start at the age of 38.

5. Esoterica

Esoterica Well-Known Member

Lost his wife, lost the competitive edge of 20 years at the top of his sport and has enough money to do whatever he wants in life. If this is what that is, then fair play to him. He deserves that opportunity I think.

vow likes this.
  6. jimmyhillsfanclub

jimmyhillsfanclub Well-Known Member

He's just another Betfair ad.....

...although I'm a little surprised hes not also sponsored by Coke....:emoji_nose: