I think Burge is alright (2 Viewers)

higgs

And there is the problem. He is OK.

Yes he has finally improved a bit. But don't look at a game at Wembley as a pointer. That was a large pitch with space. It was against a side that wanted to play football. Nothing like what we are going to be up against next season.

I am now happy with his shot stopping. But is anyone happy with his handling? He is going to be bombarded with high balls most games.

Yes we need to find some goalscorers as a top priority. But we also need to be strong in defence. Our midfield is going to be bypassed by the long ball. It will be as though we are playing against sides using the formation 7-0-3. It won't be pretty.
If we get two man mountains at centre half and a bit of height in midfield along with a target man we should be okay with high balls into the box

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

In league 2 we'll be seeing lots of crosses and long balls, an emphasis on set piece play and big physical strikers. That requires a keeper with good judgement, confidence and catching ability to deal with.

If MR sticks with the same amount of youth at the back like last season then I think we would benefit from an experienced head behind them to give confidence and direction.

That said, Burge showed at Wembley that he has the ability and can perform under pressure. If he can get close to that performance for the whole of next season he will be a decent option between the sticks.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I've watched a few games recently at lower levels, it's a myth that the further down the leagues you go it suddenly becomes all about throwing balls into the box. It's certainly not the case with any games I've seen.

NorthernWisdom

I've watched a few games recently at lower levels, it's a myth that the further down the leagues you go it suddenly becomes all about throwing balls into the box. It's certainly not the case with any games I've seen.
Not like the quality in league 1 is all silky passing and Messi-esque skill...

I dunno, the lower level a division, the lower quality a player has to be to shine, surely? Someone who's plain rubbish will still be rubbish, but not sure about the backwards logic that says we need a *better* keeper than if we'd stayed in league 1.

Astute

Burge wasn't the issue last season. 7 teams conceded more goals than us last season. On Burge's form alone we were better than our final place in the league. You also have to consider how many goals were conceded from defensive errors, lots from what I recall. Especially when we conceded late costing us points, the defense constantly went to sleep late on. It's too easy to lay the blame squarely at Burge's door.

The real issue on field was our inability to score goals. On that form only one team scored less which puts us bang where we finished in the league.
But how many would they have let in if their GK was Burge?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Exactly and Burge isn't very GOOD !!! :stop:
At the moment !!!
So here's the dilemma !!! The budget only allows you to sign ONE QUALITY player ,
A quality goalkeeper or a quality striker !!! which one do you choose ?
I know it's a hypothetical question, because Sisu will not spend the money to bring in quality player's . :facepalm:

Gaz

At the moment !!!
So here's the dilemma !!! The budget only allows you to sign ONE QUALITY player ,
A quality goalkeeper or a quality striker !!! which one do you choose ?
I know it's a hypothetical question, because Sisu will not spend the money to bring in quality player's . :facepalm:

Yes at the moment.
We need a better 1st choice for now !!!
Not a player who might come good so just stick with him.!!!
He isn't a young 18 year old prospect with potential anymore.!!!

Hey I respect your view if you think Burge will be ok as our 1st choice next season.
However I don't and I also don't believe it's a choice of improving only one of attack or goalkeeper.

Forget quality players yes
But don't forget about improving the team !! :confused:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yes at the moment.
We need a better 1st choice for now !!!
Not a player who might come good so just stick with him.!!!
He isn't a young 18 year old prospect with potential anymore.!!!

Hey I respect your view if you think Burge will be ok as our 1st choice next season.
However I don't and I also don't believe it's a choice of improving only one of attack or goalkeeper.

Forget quality players yes
But don't forget about improving the team !! :confused:
I respect your views !

Burge , I think it's to early to judge ! goalkeepers get better with age !

Quality and experience COST MONEY !

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I am not Burge's greatest fan my preference would be R C but if you check the tables I think 6 sides have conceded more than us and that is with us having no real threat up front get a goal scorer (I know it hard) but please spend any money on that end of the field.

Users who are viewing this thread