I'm in for a £1000 worth of shares? (1 Viewer)

italiahorse

The big investors wouldn't use this thread, they would use actual pledges sat in an account.
Agree, but I'm just interested how that would work and what people think.
Place £1000 into an account and then shares once accepted ?

Grendel

Agree, but I'm just interested how that would work and what people think.

I'll just stick with the season ticket thanks.

chiefdave

Would need to know some detail about any deal but in theory I'd put £1000 in. I would have concerns if I was being asked to provide funding for someone who has their own money available or a deal that will benefit a third party more than us.

Would want an actual share in return though, not something like Pompey where you effectively gift £1K to fund somebody's bid to buy the club.

chiefdave

Best way to do it is via a local solicitor. Get them to set up an escrow account and ask people for £100 deposits on £1000 shares. If and when a takeover is ready to proceed the rest is due, if there is no takeover you get your £100 back.

Would also need to provide a finance option for people that don't have the £1K up front and a method for grouping together people who can't afford the full amount.

Nick

Administrator
Realistically, what are the shares actually going to do? I'd rather novelty things like players coming to your work place and do your job for a day and stuff over a bit of paper which doesn't mean much

Grendel

Realistically, what are the shares actually going to do? I'd rather novelty things like players coming to your work place and do your job for a day and stuff over a bit of paper which doesn't mean much

Or do a season ticket offer over 3 or 4 seasons and as part of the deal offer shares.

Be great wouldn't it to buy a £1,000 of shares and then find Tim Fisher is on the consortium as chairman and Uncle Ray returns as a salaried CEO?

chiefdave

Depends what sort of shares they are. Ideally you'd be looking at shares that hold voting rights so people on the board are elected and accountable to the shareholders.

No reason you couldn't offer both. Shares for people who are happy to put a grand in and novelty things for those who want to put in less.

Nick

Administrator
Or do a season ticket offer over 3 or 4 seasons and as part of the deal offer shares.

Be great wouldn't it to buy a £1,000 of shares and then find Tim Fisher is on the consortium as chairman and Uncle Ray returns as a salaried CEO?

And that it is all going to SISU, and that 50% of the money from transfers etc also goes to them and a massive chunk is going to Wasps for rent.

Hence, a lot more info is needed.

skybluetony176

Would obviously depend on the details but after the trust meeting me and a mate agreed in principle that we'd go halves on a £1000 share. Worth remembering that you probably don't need to buy one all on your lonesome. That's one of the ways Portsmouth did it. Mates going in as a syndicate.

Not so bothered about the voting shares myself. More interested in what will happen with my £1000, or my half of a thousand pounds to be more precise.

Nick

Administrator
Would obviously depend on the details but after the trust meeting me and a mate agreed in principle that we'd go halves on a £1000 share. Worth remembering that you probably don't need to buy one all on your lonesome. That's one of the ways Portsmouth did it. Mates going in as a syndicate.

Not so bothered about the voting shares myself. More interested in what will happen with my £1000, or my half of a thousand pounds to be more precise.

It would all go to SISU...

More would be interested if it was to build a training ground / academy I reckon. Make it a community hub and it would thrive. Birthday parties, sports bar etc.

smouch1975

More would be interested if it was to build a training ground / academy I reckon. Make it a community hub and it would thrive. Birthday parties, sports bar etc.
That would be the second round of share release surely?

This time around is indeed 'bye bye SISU'

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

For sure. But getting rid of SISU is the first step in rebuilding the club. If I have to step up and take £500 out of my own pocket to do it it's a no brainer for me. Although yes I would prefer it if it went towards infrastructure for the club.

Kingokings204

The best method is to include it in season tickets. I am all for it but make it affordable and spread over a year for some and most will be interested. 500 a season ticket with 200 shares. That's say 50 a month for ten months. Very doable.

robbiethemole

I'd be in for a grand on the basis that Fisher is made to stand in the centre circle, and made to apologise publicly in front of the SBA for all the shit he's put us through,
that would be a ground filler.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I had £1,000 worth of the last set of shares for which I received 1p for compensation (which I refused to go collect from London) with a discounted season ticket, no thank you, no small help for being a normal person and not a money grabber like Richardson etc all.

That said, new era, new format then I would invest. Anything up to £5-10k max but would want to understand the format of that and the risks/benefits for the club.

JonSilletBang

It's geographically not worth me purchasing a season ticket. However, I would buy a grands worth shares no worries. Where do I sign?

olderskyblue

I would be interested, especially if the previous shareholders were given their shares back for free. Even Rob S :-;

They can choose to add to them of course.

mark82

They would be better offering shares at a low starting price to include more people, and allow people to buy more. You should expect to never see your money again though so please don't see it as an investment.

As someone said earlier, best to have different incentives for different levels of investment.

mark82

The Green Bay Packers issue shares every so often but you get no real rights/say. Would people be interested if this was the offer? I would, with a nice paper share as proof of ownership to hang on my wall.

http://deadspin.com/5866292/the-feel-good-scam-of-owning-the-packers

The Feel-Good Scam Of Owning The Packers
Barry Petchesky

For just the fifth time in their 92-year history, the publicly owned Green Bay Packers launched a stock offering this week, issuing at least 250,000 shares to anyone who wants to count themselves as an owner of an NFL team. It's an irresistible offer for a devoted fan, and within 11 minutes of stock going on sale, the Packers had sold $400,000 worth of shares. If the initial 250,000 shares sell out before March, the team is authorized to issue up to 880,000 shares. At $250 apiece (not including a $25 "handling fee"), the Packers could raise as much as $220 million—more than enough to pay for their planned $143 million renovation of Lambeau Field. Thirty-one other NFL owners are seething with jealousy. They wish they could get money from their fanbase so easily.

But what's in it for the new shareholders? Let's start with what you don't get.

• You don't get money. What the Packers are offering is Common Stock, which isn't stock as most people understand it. It can't go down, it can't go up, you can't sell it, and you can't cash in. On the front page of their Offering Document, the Packers make this distinction quite clear:

COMMON STOCK DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN INVESTMENT IN "STOCK" IN THE COMMON SENSE OF THE TERM. PURCHASERS SHOULD NOT PURCHASE COMMON STOCK WITH THE PURPOSE OF MAKING A PROFIT.

Even if the team should ever be sold, shareholders will not receive a slice of the purchasing price, or even get their initial investments back. Any profits from the sale of the team will go to the Packers' charitable foundation in Green Bay. (Until 1997, the beneficiary of a billion-plus dollar sale would have been the local American Legion post.)

• You don't get a real say in the team. While a share does confer voting rights, the Packers make very clear that you have almost zero say. Under the heading "Limited Influence," they do the math for you: because there will be at least five million outstanding shares, your vote might as well be worthless. And since no one is allowed to own more than 200 shares, you can't buy clout. Even if you could, most votes concern electing members of the 45-person Board of Directors, who in turn select a seven-person Executive Committee, which is the braintrust that makes the actual franchise decisions.

• You don't get to criticize the Packers, or other teams, or any NFL employee. Although the NFL's rules on ownership are drafted and aimed at the typical multimillionaire owner, they apply just as much to you, Betsy from Sheboygan. While the league isn't going to be monitoring message boards for your negative comments, what about a national writer? Andy Hutchins of SBNation is a Green Bay fan, but his day job is writing about football, which necessarily means having to criticize NFL figures on occasion. He'd love to own a piece of the Packers, but by the letter of the law, that would be a conflict of interest. It's an ethical dilemma, and one he's not sure he's willing to take on.

Now that the negative stuff is out of the way, here's what you do get for your $250. You get a certificate suitable for framing. You get an invite to the annual shareholders meeting. You get "the opportunity to purchase exclusive shareholder merchandise."

Congratulations! You just joined a team fan club! (For what it's worth, the Ravens' kids club costs an order of magnitude less, and you get pizza coupons.)

What Packers fans/owners are doing, in essence, is making a donation without the tax break. The team wants money for renovations and other things, so they send up the Pack Signal and the cash just rolls in. This is fairer than forcing through taxes or stadium bonds on helpless local residents, and it's also easier for the team. So why don't other owners pull the same move? They can't. NFL ownership rules since the 1950s require a franchise's largest owner to possess minimum percentage of shares, and only Green Bay was grandfathered in.

So the Packers keep their distinction as the only publicly-owned North American sports franchise (UPDATE: forgot about multiple CFL teams), and fans will keep buying stock every time it's offered just to own one-five millionth of the team.

"I could have just as well thrown my money out the window for what I get for it, other than a feel-good," one Packers fan told the AP. But if it costs $250 to feel good about your team, and about your team's ownership, maybe that alone makes it a smart buy.

sky blue john

Some good ideas.
I would be happy to invest a £1000 for shares. But if it was a gift situation it would be considerably less. Obviously would commit to a season ticket under new owners also.

Users who are viewing this thread