Internet cable splitter.... (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

Basically, I have a single internet cable running from the main router to my room. Wireless is not possible, as I'm too far away from router and I can't have another cable, as all the ports are in use for other rooms in the house.

My question is:

Can I use this single cable, and somehow split it into 2, so I can play online on my playstation, and the computer can be used online at the same time?

and if so, can anyone recommend what to use?

Cheers :)

Nick

Administrator
I take it when you say internet cable you mean cat5 (the plastic one with a clip like below:

cat5%20cables.jpg

If so, just get a Network Switch - http://www.finditforless.co.uk/search/gigabit-network-switch

Then just get another 2 cables (get cat5e cables off eBay), plug the cable from the main router into the switch, then plug the other 2 into the switch and job done!

ccfc92

Yes, it says cat 5e on the cable.

Will the switch work at the same time (ps3 and computer)? Or is it literally a switch?

Also, will internet speeds be affected?

Nick

Administrator
Yes, it says cat 5e on the cable.

Will the switch work at the same time (ps3 and computer)? Or is it literally a switch?

Also, will internet speeds be affected?

Nah it will work fine at the same time and leave a couple of ports spare!

I doubt you would notice any difference if you got a half decent switch (I think mine was about £15- £20) and works fine for streaming 3D / 4K movies.

If you had a Gigabit one then you would be fine as the bottleneck would then be your internet connection!

bulko

I have a netgear switch well two both work great feeding upstairs and behind my tv.

chiefdave

Everything will work at the same time. I've got a little 8 port one at home for the PS3, PS4, Sky, AppleTV etc and it all works fine. You literally just plug the cables in and off you go.

ccfc92

Cheers everyone :)

I did assume that it should be simple enough, but just wasn't sure if it would half the speed, only use one at once etc.

Chiefdave : do you play online on the ps3, and if so, is gameplay the same using the switch? like no freezing etc?

Nick

Administrator
Cheers everyone :)

I did assume that it should be simple enough, but just wasn't sure if it would half the speed, only use one at once etc.

Chiefdave : do you play online on the ps3, and if so, is gameplay the same using the switch? like no freezing etc?

I do with PS4, it's fine! As long as you don't get a cheap and nasty one. Mine has been on for months with no issues, the old one I had if it went slow you just took the power out and back in.

That is going from the Router to the Switch using powerlines rather than an actual cable too, so you would be ok!

Obviously if you set a huge download going on your computer while online you will notice a difference as it would hammer your internet connection, but that's the same if somebody in another room was to do it!

ccfc92

Okay cheers :)

Will make life easier. Just switching the cable from ps3 to PC atm, not good when the GF wants the computer, and there's FIFA/COD to play :facepalm: :D

ccfc92

To be fair, £15-20 is very good value if it does the job :)

Can you even get cheaper ones than that lol?

Nick

Administrator
Okay cheers :)

Will make life easier. Just switching the cable from ps3 to PC atm, not good when the GF wants the computer, and there's FIFA/COD to play :facepalm: :D

Is it a laptop with wifi or an actual desktop?

Yeah, you just get a switch and plug them both in and it will sort it out!

Nick

Administrator
To be fair, £15-20 is very good value if it does the job :)

Can you even get cheaper ones than that lol?

Yeah, you can get 100mbps ones - http://www.finditforless.co.uk/search/network-switch

I doubt your internet connection is more than 100mbps, so one of those should do the same job. It would only be the speed between your devices plugged into that Switch that would be Gigabit (unless your router does Gigabit too and it then would be between all of the computers plugged into it).

Some of the really cheap ones aren't very good though and you will wish you had just paid a tenner more when you have to keep turning them off then on!

Gigabit would be good if you ever wanted to stream movies to your Playstation from your PC for example.

Nick

Administrator
A desktop.

I take it the router/hub doesn't matter, it's a Sky one?

Ah a desktop would be better plugged in then!

No the router is fine. Just get a switch and 2 cables, then plug everything in and turn them on and you won't notice! You just won't have to keep swapping all the time.

ccfc92

Yeah, you can get 100mbps ones - http://www.finditforless.co.uk/search/network-switch

I doubt your internet connection is more than 100mbps, so one of those should do the same job. It would only be the speed between your devices plugged into that Switch that would be Gigabit (unless your router does Gigabit too and it then would be between all of the computers plugged into it).

Some of the really cheap ones aren't very good though and you will wish you had just paid a tenner more when you have to keep turning them off then on!

Gigabit would be good if you ever wanted to stream movies to your Playstation from your PC for example.

Yeahh the speed is 100mbps. But best to get a Gigabit one though basically?

I was thinking of this one, as all the ones on the page you posted seem to do the same thing, but cost more than this one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/259805-tp-link-tl-sg1005d-5-port-gigabit-network-switch-tl-sg1005d

Nick

Administrator
Yeahh the speed is 100mbps. But best to get a Gigabit one though basically?

I was thinking of this one, as all the ones on the page you posted seem to do the same thing, but cost more than this one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/259805-tp-link-tl-sg1005d-5-port-gigabit-network-switch-tl-sg1005d

Yeah, the ports in a Gigabit one are 10 times faster than the other one which is always good!

I have those ones and they are fine! (And you will get a bit of cashback if buying through Find It For Less!!)

ccfc92

Yeah, the ports in a Gigabit one are 10 times faster than the other one which is always good!

I have those ones and they are fine! (And you will get a bit of cashback if buying through Find It For Less!!)

okay cool :)

also, just normal cat 5e ethernet cables to link switch to ps3 and PC?

mechaishida

I've had no issues with broadband splitters, however extensions nearly always affect the broadband speed. By at least half, in my experience anyway.

ccfc92

Well I'm up and running :D

Thanks for everyones help and advice :D

Been putting up with the one cable for ages, didn't know it'd be this easy :D

ccfc92

My speed has changed from 100 mbps, to 1 Gbps.

Is that correct, or just a false reading and I'm still getting 100 mbps? I'm reading the speed from Network and Sharing centre.

chiefdave

My speed has changed from 100 mbps, to 1 Gbps.

Is that correct, or just a false reading and I'm still getting 100 mbps? I'm reading the speed from Network and Sharing centre.

That'll be the speed from your PC to the new box you've put in. What you get beyond that depends what other kit is capable of.

mechaishida

Everyone said they've had no speed problems though? :S

Like Nick said, I was talking about extensions I.E. to lengthen the cable via a shitty adaptor thing. Never again, it was like having fackin' dial-up.

Hope your issues are sorted btw.

Nick

Administrator
Like Nick said, I was talking about extensions I.E. to lengthen the cable via a shitty adaptor thing. Never again, it was like having fackin' dial-up.

Hope your issues are sorted btw.

That is a different cable though, he was on about a network cable (RJ45) whereas you mean the phone cable to the router (RJ11 / BT Type).

Once you mess with extensions and stuff before the router it will make a difference.

mechaishida

That is a different cable though, he was on about a network cable (RJ45) whereas you mean the phone cable to the router (RJ11 / BT Type).

Once you mess with extensions and stuff before the router it will make a difference.

I realise that, mate, I was just clarifying what I meant.

ccfc92

Just another quick question, I bought a 5 port switch, with 4 in use, the ethernet input, PS3, Computer and SKY.

Basically, I sometimes get poor internet coverage on my phone in my room, and wouldn't mind saving a bit of data, would a wi-fi router plugged into the switch be okay?

Or would it slow the internet down a lot?
Purely for using mobile internet. The PS3, Computer and SKY box is hard wired (ethernet).

Users who are viewing this thread