Internet & Network Tweaks (1 Viewer)

ccfc1987

over the next few weeks ill be putting some tweaks on here,there all safe and i have used and tested on my system,,,,,

ccfc1987

Adjust Browser Cache Sizes

The maximum size of your Internet Explorer browser cache is ### megabytes. Generally, cache sizes above 80 megabytes waste disk space and can actually cause slower performance.
Solutions

How to adjust the IE cache size

Start Internet Explorer
Select Tools | Internet Options | General tab
Under Temporary Internet Files click the Settings button.
In the box for the amount of disk space to use, enter a value between 5 and 80 megabytes.
Click OK to accept the changes.

Since I have a very fast Internet Connection I have found that setting my temp Internet Files to one Megabyte gives me the best performance.

ccfc1987

Speed up network file transfers on 100Mbps networks

Click Start and right click on "My Network Places" and select properties. On the network connections windows, right click on the adapter for your network connection and click properties. Click the configure button on the Local Area Connection Properties window. Click the advanced tab on the new window. Highlight the one on the list that relates to speed. (My one card is Speed & Duplex, where the other is Connection type, i have also seen media type, and i am sure there are others) If you can figure out which one it is, simply click each one, and look at the value box, your speed property will have the value Auto Negotiate. Change this value to one of the following:
Hub Networks
Hubs can only handle half duplex speeds (50mbps in / 50mbps out = 100mbps), because they lack the ability to create virtual circuits as they are stupid, so set this to 100 half duplex (i've also seen 100 half mode)
Switch Network
Switches are smarter devices, and can handle full duplex speeds (100mbps in / 100 mbps out = 200 mbps), because they know which port the destination computer is, and create a virtual circuit to it, so set this to 100 full duplex (i've also seen 100 full mode)
Router Network
Routers, with buit in hub, see hub section, routers with built in switch see switch section.
Please remember to make these changes on every computer on the network, or you will no notice a change. A transfer is as fast as the slowest connection, in most cases, windows auto negotiate.

Users who are viewing this thread