Investors, The Arena, SISU and the squad for next season....priorities: (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

OK so we know that SISU are pumping in cash to prop up their own investment for the medium term at least - which they have made clear.

So instead of all the continuing panic perhaps we should look at the immediate plans...

Investors will be a key search during the coming summer and beyond but that will be a complicated matter involving the only way forward for both the City and the football club - namely to include the Arena. That will also not happen until after the 2012 events at least so SISU will clearly be here until at least then.
They may even remain stake holders with additional investment...who can say at this early stage.

Now we must all concentrate on what matters for the playing side which is after all what a football club is all about.
I will stab in the dark and suggest SISU (and perhaps with some other other initial investors) will have in mind a budget for the way forward in this shorter medium term. That suggest perhaps £2m for new players and contracts as a minimum requirement.

Now here is the big questions:

Given £2m what are we to do with the squad we have? and who should we be interested in getting in to strengthen? Who should be offered new contracts and who should be released?

Finally who should be the manager entrusted with this delicate task and ensuring we have a reasonably bright season ahead while those protracted investment/stadium negotiations take place?

Macca

You have to factor in who WANTS to stay as well. I would rather we kept hold of a number of the unsung players rather than just one or two of the usual names.

Paxman II

I would certainly move on a couple of centre backs and Freddy, Osbourne and I have not had time to think more than that but will come up with my squad list later...

rob9872

I think we should sign Messi and Ronaldo but the board have already distanced themselves at the press conference ... unless it was a smokescreen to throw us all off the bait.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Depends what your view of medium term is. KD made no mention of funds past the end of the season at the press conference. Potential investors are going to be few and far between without something to hang that investment on. Dont think that the private equity funds of SISU will have much stomach for a great amount more investment

I can see the logic in the stadium deal not being done until after the Olympics, but dont think that precludes the deal being done before. If SISU buy the share capital of ACL then the contractual obligations of ACL still stand - and it is the shares that would appear to be on offer. Of course the council might delay to gain the kudos of the games. Another factor is how soon the club gets its finances in order as the council have made clear that they wont deal until they see that is the case. All i think this means is there will be a cloud hanging over the club for a long time - and an incredibly difficult task of getting investors without the stadium.

Not sure I would say I was in a panic about SISU more incredibly frustrated especially in light of being no further forward in any direction after over 3 years. It is early days for the new board but to be honest I would have expected more of a cohesive plan from SISU by now

On the player front it may well be the case that there is only around £2m to spend, SISU have shown little appetite for funding the transfers in the past and it is difficult to see that changing. Will £2m be enough, I think most would say no but it is at least something. That sort of sum is going to have to go an awful long way because there is something like 10 players out of contract in the summer. Couple that with the need to reduce losses and i think the wage bill is going to have to be cut quite severely and i dont think we will see major signings.

I dont think we will keep either King or Westwood, Gunner might stay but it will take a big chunk of the say £2m pot to keep him. Eastwood I would let go, doubt we would get much for him but would save on wages. Osbourne I think will go simply because he doesnt play, Wood i think will be on his way and Ohalloran I wouldnt try to keep, Carsley I would guess will be off too. As for replacements well not much i can think of we can really afford, but we will need at least one quick winger, a center forward, 2 or 3 in midfield for cover and a keeper. Like I said £2m wont go far and we will be shopping at the bargain basement for them. I think the club need to manage fans expectations as soon as possible because without a lot of luck or substantially more than £2m we are going to be bottom half again next season.

The manager will most probably be AT - if for no other reason he will be cheapest. Any other choice might require paying off current staff and buying in new staff. To be fair he hasnt done too bad so far

Perhaps I am overly pessimistic but without substantially more investment and the stadium purchase I dont see the future at CCFc as that bright, even if recently it has been noticeably brighter (less dark??)

kg82

OSB, Osborne hasn't been playing because of being injured though. Agreed with most other things, even Eastwood! I normally wouldn't but how many times can you say to yourself just give him one more season, he'll come good.

Users who are viewing this thread