IS IT APRIL THE FIRST? (1 Viewer)

wingy

FIFA'S decision to ban the POPPY from England and Scotland shirts!

chiefdave

Don't we have this story every few years? While you would think nobody would be offended by a poppy some people are as they believe it glorifies war, hence the white poppy you sometimes see.

I suspect from FIFA's point of view its more a case of if they allow this then are they opening the floodgates. Who then decides what is acceptable and what isn't?

Obvious solution is to have warm up kit with the poppy on, they can auction it off afterwards.

Covrock

For once I think FIFA are correct this time.
Absolute bollocks. if it wasn't for those that gave their lives we wouldn't have a fifa or any other freedom.As far as i am concerned ,Wearing the poppy should break down cultural barriers, religion, race and every other shittie thing people come up with for us not to be proud of our dead. Every religion and race fought in the wars and conflicts, death knows no boundaries. Catholic, Protestant , Muslim, Sikh all gave their lives. Then again, what the hell for?

Joy Division

Absolute bollocks. if it wasn't for those that gave their lives we wouldn't have a fifa or any other freedom.As far as i am concerned ,Wearing the poppy should break down cultural barriers, religion, race and every other shittie thing people come up with for us not to be proud of our dead. Every religion and race fought in the wars and conflicts, death knows no boundaries. Catholic, Protestant , Muslim, Sikh all gave their lives. Then again, what the hell for?

Is that what they fought for, so the England team could wear a poppy on a football shirt?

lifeskyblue

I'm a pacifist and although I'm too old to be conscripted I am convinced I would have been a 'conchie' if I had been around in 1939. Even so I recognise the sacrifice and heroism of those on all sides who lay down their lives for their fellow man. Many were sold lies about why they were fighting and some sent to their deaths in 'bound to fail' missions.
I will wear a poppy with pride ...not to glorify war but to remember and silently thank those who did what I could not do and who have given me and my family the freedoms and life I cherish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

There's no new ban really, it's that they haven't changed something that was known about for years and even satisfactorily compromised a full five years ago. It's the unfortunate rabble-rousing that sees people scrutinising everyone on TV for a few weeks each year ready to scream blue murder if they're not wearing a poppy.

CJ_covblaze

Strange that Ireland were allowed to wear a shirt to remember a political event not so long ago but the Poppy isn't allowed. It's an absolute disgrace.

CJ_covblaze

Also if the Star of David and the Moon & Crescent aren't Religious symbol, what is? I don't have any problem with with Israel, Turkey and others having one of the above on their shirts but that's another example of double standards.

CJ_covblaze

While you're here was Simon always the guest speaker at the trust CJ?

Yes it was. Nobody else was ever lined up.

Terry Gibson's perm

They will probably throw the book at the FA for wearing the poppy at Fifa but when a country has a group of fans who make racist chants they give them a little slap on the wrist.

CJ_covblaze

No truth in the stuff about Fisher offering it? Any approach from either side?

Where have you heard that?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah...fifa are cunts....who knew eh?

....but everyone should chill out...and Theresa may should fuck off

"Our football players" can wear a poppy all month long love...no one is stopping them...just turns out they can't wear one on their work uniform for 90 min...

...so what?

CJ_covblaze

CJ_covblaze

It's been mentioned on here.

Just didn't know if there had been approach from any side, and either had turned it down?

Just to put that one to bed too!

There could be something in the future. A lot to consider though.

CJ_covblaze

Yeah, plenty would chip in.

Then it goes to help the heroes :)

You never know. Was thinking if by some miracle it raises more than enough it should go to the British Legion.

CJ_covblaze

You would think the fa would donate it anyway :)

That's what I'm thinking. Might just change it to be a direct donation. Hopefully Wales can be added to it too.

chiefdave

SBR: You are the football club. Would you come to an open Trust meeting?
TF: Of course, I’ve never turned down a meeting. I have been to them before – I welcome meeting fans.
From the last SCG minutes

chiefdave

We've never had a poppy on the shirt in the years leading up to this, hasn't stopped us remembering. Think some people need to calm down a bit.
Have to say if I think back a few years ago I don't remember such a big deal being made about poppies or clubs having them on their shirts.

I have always worn one but I believe it should be a personal choice, isn't that what they fought for. These days its almost become compulsory and in some ways that takes away from it.

Nick

Administrator
Have to say if I think back a few years ago I don't remember such a big deal being made about poppies or clubs having them on their shirts.

I have always worn one but I believe it should be a personal choice, isn't that what they fought for. These days its almost become compulsory and in some ways that takes away from it.
Social media outrage!

NorthernWisdom

Hates the English but happy to live here and take a wage

This response kind of proves my point.

Now FWIW I find McClean's reasoning slightly uncomfortable myself. However, if it wasn't institutionalised so that it was expected he wore a poppy, then he wouldn't have to step back and have to give his own viewpoint.

This particular argument is, to me, in microcosm what seems to be a recent disturbing trend where there is a compulsion to wear a poppy. This, incidentally, is a tendency towards fascism, to take away the individual right to choose what to do. As this happens, it actually makes me less disposed to wear a poppy. My own view can respect the people involved, regret the savage loss of life... despair at how World War One was the last vestiges of imperialism, and the desire to impose ideologies on the world, where the individuals, the true heroes, were caught up in a needless, stupid argument between power-crazed states.

So... I could always go with a poppy when it appeared to be an individual choice and an understated mark of respect... to the soldiers that died. Once it gets hijacked by insititutions however, it starts echoing that which it should be trying to warn against. As such, *I* won't be wearing a poppy. That in no way makes me want to stop others wearing a poppy, because I can see enough behind it to see why an individual might want to support the cause. I might even give some cash to an appropriate charity myself. I, personally, am always uncomfortable in showing for the sake of showing however. That's just me, and others will differ.

The individual mark of respect is how it has been, as far as I'm concerned. But... with such institutionalised compulsions as per the FA 'debate', then I would have to go against the grain to do that were I an English International footballer, and I would have to open my views (that otherwise can remain private) to a public trial... or wear it for an easy life. The latter is insincere however, and such gestures such always be made with personal sincerity in my view.

So, this whole situation takes away from the meaning of armistice day, for me. It should be quiet respect - a minute's silence could have sufficed, to remember the dead, and enough could have been done around the game without making this an unseemly drama that takes the focus away from what it should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread