Is Slade our worst manager ever?! (1 Viewer)

standupforcity

The guy seems to have no idea about team selection or establishing a game plan. Utterly hopeless. Another sisu horror story!! I feel sorry for the players...

oucho

Not another Slade thread!

ajsccfc

He's completely failed to improve an awful season, but we must have had a good number of managers who took a good team and ruined it.

Liquid Gold

I think everything CCFC has to be judged post Jimmy Hill. Slade will be the person to relegate us to league 2 so worst manager, worst players and worse owners. Add to that fractured fanbase, empty stadium and no sign of improvement and we're at our lowest ebb. It makes it hurt that bit more that we were so close to something last season, when we scored our third at home against Gills last season I felt a weight lift off my shoulders and said to my mate "It's finally going to happen, we're actually going to do it". Tonight feels a million miles away from there.

CJ_covblaze

As I've alluded to in the Yakubu thread there are some worrying questions.

With regards to his tactics he has one plan. What's certain is that plan does not work with this group of players. Question is, would any manager's tactics work with these players?

covcity4life

Imo they would

Mowbray is proof of that. We drew more than we lost in league under mowbray this season

Now we lose more than we draw i think under slade

Lets change manager now and try win a few before seasons end

CJ_covblaze

Imo they would

Mowbray is proof of that. We drew more than we lost in league under mowbray this season

Now we lose more than we draw i think under slade

Lets change manager now and try win a few before seasons end

Can't disagree with any of that. I'm all for giving managers a chance. Too much of one in most cases. However I don't see any benefit for our club, our players or Slade to continue on as we are. Who would take the job? I'm not Rickett's biggest fan by any means but him and Oggy maybe? Who else is there?

Kingokings204

No slade is not our worst manager ever. I really don't get the hate in for the man. He has come in with an impossible job and both arms tied behind his back. The team was a shambles before and losing anyway. Yes he hasn't helped himself I get all that but looking at slade is looking in the wrong direction. Slade is a football man with moderate success as good clubs he has managed. No it's not his fault. He has been forced into panic signings like yakubu because there is no one else.

He was on to a loser here just like any manager for the last 7 years. And yes they all failed heavily like slade and I don't believe all them were crap managers either. I don't care if you put Jose mourinho in charge of this team an undoubtedly good manager he would fail. It's no coincidence all have failed. Mowbray has been the best I've seen and really cared and knew what he was doing. In the end he was ground down and broken and he didn't want to be dragged down with us and I don't blame him. People can say he messed the recruitment up and all the other things said. They are fair points but not the point for me. It was all still a team of kids and loans and that mix will never do well especially long term. We managed to have a lucky season last year and come 8th. The kids ran out of steam last year Armstrong and Murphy etc but we were asking an 18 year old loan player to be the savior. That's the point for me. It doesn't work. It will never work and relegation is no surprise whatsoever and expect further to fall as it can't go any other way.

Gazolba

Based on win %, Slade is easily our worst ever.

Otis

Slade came in on the 21st December. We had just lost 6 games in a row and were already bottom four. He was given an almost impossible task.

That simply HAS to be factored in.

We have done worse since he came in, but worst ever manager? No.

He has failed though for sure.

NortonSkyBlue

As Otis points out he came in to a sinking ship and has failed to save her, however whether he is the worst manager is irrelevant and meaningless.
I would like him to go, he is not the future in my opinion, so I would pin my rosette on the man who will take us in to Division four and start our upward journey back. That man is not Slade.

shelby76

Feel sorry for slade as he was not able to bring his own first team coach and has had to use who was available, from that moment he was fucked and would only get the same results he should of promoted jason farndon or ricketts as first team coach.

Last edited:

Otis

As Otis points out he came in to a sinking ship and has failed to save her, however whether he is the worst manager is irrelevant and meaningless.
I would like him to go, he is not the future in my opinion, so I would pin my rosette on the man who will take us in to Division four and start our upward journey back. That man is not Slade.
I know CC4L is going to turn this into yet another Mowbray thread, but the facts are clear.

Mowbray started the season with a clean slate. No games played, obviously no position in the table, no losses.

Slade came in with us already in the bottom four and on the back of 6 straight defeats.

Which one was at the disadvantage?

Not making excuses for Slade, cos his remit was to extricate us from this mess and he has totally failed to do so.

Slade's stats do look really bad, but you do have to factor in what he came into, which was already a basket case of a club.

This season has been a season of total failure. Every manager has failed this year, all 3 of them.

Our only hope now is to try and go out with a bit of fight about us and maybe a bit of hope for next year rather than disappear with just a whimper.

Flying Fokker

Can't disagree with any of that. I'm all for giving managers a chance. Too much of one in most cases. However I don't see any benefit for our club, our players or Slade to continue on as we are. Who would take the job? I'm not Rickett's biggest fan by any means but him and Oggy maybe? Who else is there?

Why would we want Oggy? Why would he want anything to do with it. He's been semi retired since school.

Covstu

I know CC4L is going to turn this into yet another Mowbray thread, but the facts are clear.

Mowbray started the season with a clean slate. No games played, obviously no position in the table, no losses.

Slade came in with us already in the bottom four and on the back of 6 straight defeats.

Which one was at the disadvantage?

Not making excuses for Slade, cos his remit was to extricate us from this mess and he has totally failed to do so.

Slade's stats do look really bad, but you do have to factor in what he came into, which was already a basket case of a club.

This season has been a season of total failure. Every manager has failed this year, all 3 of them.

Our only hope now is to try and go out with a bit of fight about us and maybe a bit of hope for next year rather than disappear with just a whimper.
Would agree this is a result of the whole season not since December. TM acquisitions were very poor albeit I think funds had changed from last season which showed in the quality we attracted. MV made this situation worse and now slade has finished it off. I don't think any of them had funds to make a fist of a promotion charge anyway but we are dropping out of the league with a wimper. At present this team are not fit enough for league two and that is the big big worry for next year

mrtrench

SARCASM not trolling:

We had had what can only be described as a terrible run of bad luck with managers. With everything else at the club perfect, it is truly shocking that we've seen manager after manager fail.

letsallsingtogether

No our next manager will be the worst or is it the one after that.
No one has a chance here, there is only management level to blame here and it goes higher then any coach we may employ.
SISU OUT.
We have stewards harrassing supporters for sitting in the wrong seats in an empty stadium we have 2 or 3 ticket checks the club is going to explode, there is no investment or love for this club from our owners, and until they have gone and rotted in Hell we are going to have to put up with this shit.

Otis

Would agree this is a result of the whole season not since December. TM acquisitions were very poor albeit I think funds had changed from last season which showed in the quality we attracted. MV made this situation worse and now slade has finished it off. I don't think any of them had funds to make a fist of a promotion charge anyway but we are dropping out of the league with a wimper. At present this team are not fit enough for league two and that is the big big worry for next year
The whole season has been a mess.

Next season will be yet another clear out, so very little continuity going forwards and another complete rebuild.

I asked on other threads, just how many players will we still have with us next season?

We can't just keep going on like this. There is no building of a side, no stability, no real plan going forwards. Constant starting from scratch and pretty much and every manager has a real task on his hands.

skybluetony176

It's looking that way. Said a few weeks in that he's reminding me of Thorn, not sure he's that good to be honest. Certainly on league form he isn't. If he'd come in after the window and just had to work with what he was given I'd have some sympathy for him but that isn't the case. He's made wholesale changes in January and we seem to have gone backwards as a result of it and list any hope of fighting to remain in league one. That alone makes him the worst manager I've certainly witnessed at the club.

stevefloyd

As people have said the January window is nearly all full of shit that other clubs dont want so Slads hasnt really had a full roll of the dice as Mowbray did and fucked it up. Not trying to stick up too much for Slade because I dont think he is the answer but he is making some bizarre team selections which really isnt helping our predicament

Otis

It's looking that way. Said a few weeks in that he's reminding me of Thorn, not sure he's that good to be honest. Certainly on league form he isn't. If he'd come in after the window and just had to work with what he was given I'd have some sympathy for him but that isn't the case. He's made wholesale changes in January and we seem to have gone backwards as a result of it and list any hope of fighting to remain in league one. That alone makes him the worst manager I've certainly witnessed at the club.
I think I would agree with that if we weren't already bottom four when he came in and weren't already a mess.

He came to firefight an already desperate situation, but he hasn't taken us forwards and that was his remit.

We should have seen an upturn in fortunes and it simply hasn't happened.

skybluetony176

I think I would agree with that if we weren't already bottom four when he came in and weren't already a mess.

He came to firefight an already desperate situation, but he hasn't taken us forwards and that was his remit.

We should have seen an upturn in fortunes and it simply hasn't happened.

We didn't even get a new manager bounce that's how infective he's been. The team he inherited looked immediately worse than it did under either Venus or Mowbray and he happily offloaded our best player (not a hard task, I'll give you that) in Sordel and replaced him with worse players in what must go down as the most ineffective January transfer window ever witnessed at the club that has destined us go down without even attempting a fight. That's before you even get on to tactics.

standupforcity

As I've alluded to in the Yakubu thread there are some worrying questions.

With regards to his tactics he has one plan. What's certain is that plan does not work with this group of players. Question is, would any manager's tactics work with these players?

These players are a helluva lot better than they appear...with no cohesive plan they look a shambolic and incompetent squad. You can see the frustration out there when the plan just isn't working and no changes are made. And if you're not going to start with your best players, and just leave them on the bench regardless, well you know what they say...'nothing changes if nothing changes'!! In his interview Slade said things are going to have to change for Tuesday...well we'll see...

Otis

We didn't even get a new manager bounce that's how infective he's been. The team he inherited looked immediately worse than it did under either Venus or Mowbray and he happily offloaded our best player (not a hard task, I'll give you that) in Sordel and replaced him with worse players in what must go down as the most ineffective January transfer window ever witnessed at the club that has destined us go down without even attempting a fight. That's before you even get on to tactics.
Thing is with Sordell, we don't know if Slade wanted to sell him or was told to because of interest from other clubs.

Don't think we can criticize him on that until we know the facts. Think we would be a better team with him here though for sure.

I know Clarke had a very poor game yesterday, but I still like him as a player and all the back four made lots of errors yesterday, so it wasn't just him. Second and third goals were his fault and the first one, Turnbull's.

Clarke, Reilly and Beavon I think are good signings. Rawson and Foley, not so. We cannot yet comment on Vernam or Folivi as we are yet to really see them play. Yakubu seems like a ridiculous gamble on a player who is clearly miles away from any fitness whatsoever.

And anyway, didn't last January window result in Peter Ramage, Darius Henderson and Stephen Hunt?

I am not sticking up for Slade here, for as I have said on other threads, if he is not here next season I would be inclined to get rid of him now.

Otis

These players are a helluva lot better than they appear...with no cohesive plan they look a shambolic and incompetent squad. You can see the frustration out there when the plan just isn't working and no changes are made. And if you're not going to start with your best players, and just leave them on the bench regardless, well you know what they say...'nothing changes if nothing changes'!! In his interview Slade said things are going to have to change for Tuesday...well we'll see...
Not sure these players are a hell of a lot better.

Both keepers are not good enough. Haynes is not a left back by any stretch of the imagination.

Still a question mark over DKE, despite his great endeavour and enthusiasm.

Lameiras is not good enough, nor is Reid, nor is Ghadzhev, nor is Rose. Tudgay is all but past it.

Said before, if we compiled a list of which players we would ideally like to retain, it wouldn't be very big.

Below average keepers, leaky defence, poor midfield, not enough goals up front.

I honestly don't think these players are at all a hell of a lot better than they appear.

skybluetony176

And anyway, didn't last January window result in Peter Ramage, Darius Henderson and Stephen Hunt?

We did but we also retained the services of our best player in AA. It's not like we lost our best player and replaced him with far less superior players. We sold Maddison but retained his services for the remainder of the season. I'm not saying last January was a success story, it wasn't .Well, not unless you're comparing it to this one.

standupforcity

It's hard to believe how anyone can be in two minds about Slade...so many excuses being made...joining a sinking ship etc etc...making comparisons with Venus and TM.
Not sure these players are a hell of a lot better.

Both keepers are not good enough. Haynes is not a left back by any stretch of the imagination.

Still a question mark over DKE, despite his great endeavour and enthusiasm.

Lameiras is not good enough, nor is Reid, nor is Ghadzhev, nor is Rose. Tudgay is all but past it.

Said before, if we compiled a list of which players we would ideally like to retain, it wouldn't be very big.

Below average keepers, leaky defence, poor midfield, not enough goals up front.

I honestly don't think these players are at all a hell of a lot better than they appear.

Otis, what I said was these players are better than they APPEAR! They aren't given the chance to give their best, whatever that might be.....but whatever it is it would make a difference in my opinion. And I have to disagree with you about Lameiras...probably the most talented player we have, but has never, under any manager been given the run he deserves....wasn't even on the bench yesterday as an option, like him or not. Neither was Stevenson...what's that all about. And what about Stokes? I'm seriously baffled

Otis

We did but we also retained the services of our best player in AA. It's not like we lost our best player and replaced him with far less superior players. We sold Maddison but retained his services for the remainder of the season. I'm not saying last January was a success story, it wasn't .Well, not unless you're comparing it to this one.
I'm not of course saying this window had been good, it hasn't.

Is it 8 players now that Slade had brought in? As it stands I only rate 3 of them.

The whole season has been a disaster from start to finish, bar that little false dawn when Venus somehow got us winning a few for a little while.

Great_Expectations

Obviously results are the most important measure of a managers success, and they speak for themselves, but if you outside of the results nothing points to him being a good manager.

His tactics are one dimensional with no plan b, no thought to the oppositions style/tactics, just long ball. He fails to react to the game and insists on sticking with an ineffective tactic that has consistently proven to be a failure.

In extension, his team selection is appalling. Anyone who continues to play Andy Rose in CM AND expect him to be a creative force is clueless. His insistence with Burge is also baffling, I appreciate RCC is not the finished article but he's a better keeper and his confidence would have been sky high after Swansea.

His recruitment has been average to poor, bar Beavon who is a standard above the rest of the team. Reilly has also shown signs of improvement, but the rest are all bang average or not good enough. In addition, he failed to address areas that required attention, especially based on his long ball tactics i.e. target man and wingers, and other poor areas such as full back.

I appreciate he came into an already sinking ship, but he's absolutely failed to save it and has in fact quickened the speed at which it is sinking.

It's the worst football I've ever witnessed, and the fact it isn't even working means there is no saving grace. He's a poor manager who's been asked to do a job only a truly great manager could have achieved.

Otis

Many thought that he was the ideal candidate for the job in hand. You would have to say that the evidence however points to him being clearly not.

Users who are viewing this thread