Jobs (1 Viewer)

Covstu

I have always been lucky tonfind a job each time I have been of work but it certainlymis not easy. Its about making the effort on the cv, application forms etc to ensure you get in fromt of them to do your stuff. The rest is easy!

Otis

I have applied to supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Morrisons, B&Q) and have been turned down by all of them.

Otis

I send them a CV and covering letter.

Think it puts them off that I have quite a bit of supervisory expereince and they think that maybe i will find it beneath me. A minion job on basic wage.

Doesn't bother me though.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Fair play to OP! I am a qualified tutor and have lectured and delivered training on a number of subjects. I was made redundant from Rolls-Royce 2 years ago. I have vast experience of the IT system that Rolls-Royce use (SAP) but no way could I get a job again. I tried for many months but then I was told my JSA was being reduced simply because I had been out of work for so long (13 weeks!) It went down to 30 quid a week! The Job Centre made me go on a "re-training" course - utter waste of time - I could have told THEM how to do their job! My missus also worked at the Tile Hill JC and was then made redundant. But because of my health and age, no-one is prepared to even give me the time of day. Can't say I blame them. Would you employ someone who has survived 3 heart attacks, had a double bypass, is diabetic and now has arthritis, against a healthy 20 year old? Yet I was constantly made to look an idiot by the JC because I couldn't get a job. In the end I was told by someone in the know that as I had paid for over 30 years worth of National Ins. stamps, we could claim Gauranteed Pension. So now I am retired. Best thing I ever done! Wish I was still working sometimes though.
Best of luck to OP.

skyblu3sk

I just had a Network Project Engineer job going but think it just got filled. There are a few jobs out there if you want them keep trying guys

Otis

Job Centre give me a lot of shit.

I just turn to them and answer with, "But I don't even qualify for Job Seeker's Allowance and you don't pay me a single penny, why are you giving me a hard time?"

Houchens Head

Job Centre give me a lot of shit.

I just turn to them and answer with, "But I don't even qualify for Job Seeker's Allowance and you don't pay me a single penny, why are you giving me a hard time?"

I told them that when I first moved down here Otis. They got a couple of beefy security blokes to try to throw me out "for being abusive"!! They didn't succeed! I very politely told them that if they laid a finger on me to eject me, I would sue the arse off them as the JC was well aware of my health issues! I demanded to see the manager and he then signed me on that week! It was after that incident, that I found out I didn't have to sign on anymore and could legally retire! I had great pleasure in going back next week and telling them I was now "signing off"!

Otis

They weren't paying me anything but told me I needed to sign on every two weeks.

I just told them I wasn't coming anymore.

Then got a letter telling me I was no longer entitled to Job Seeker's Allowance as I had signed off.

Yup, thanks for telling me I am no longer going to get what I wasn't getting and wasn't entitled to anyway. :facepalm:

dutchman

In the end I was told by someone in the know that as I had paid for over 30 years worth of National Ins. stamps, we could claim Gauranteed Pension. So now I am retired. Best thing I ever done!

That's no longer an option for people turning 60. It's being gradually phased out such that people born the same year as me won't qualify until they reach 65, assuming they live that long.

dutchman

They weren't paying me anything but told me I needed to sign on every two weeks.

I just told them I wasn't coming anymore.

Then got a letter telling me I was no longer entitled to Job Seeker's Allowance as I had signed off.

Yup, thanks for telling me I am no longer going to get what I wasn't getting and wasn't entitled to anyway. :facepalm:
I don't know if you're aware of this Otis but whether you're entitled to JSA or not, if you don't sign on you wont qualify for a National Insurance credit which will affect your future entitlement to things like sickness benefit and retirement pension.

BackRoomRummermill

He is a quick fact guys, two out of every three jobs are never advertised.

Why?????// because you get annoying job agencies contacting you who are then after commision ( around 6K per head if employed)

If I was or ever find myself unemployed here is a few ideas which do work.

Send speculative truthfull CV's (why waste your time), match the CV to the Job to a company you think you may be of use to, be flexible... you may need to travel.

You have more chance of gaining work if you apply direct to the employers recruitment site for sure as they will screen the job. Monster , right job and all them are the same in essence.

If you have a skill use it , we have a huge skills shortage esp in any engineering area.

Good Luck

Houchens Head

I wrote off to DWP and and received a pension forecast. Got it slightly wrong Dutch. I've just been informed by missus Houch that we are on Guaranteed Pension Credit. (Can't you tell I let her do all the financial stuff!) We get this because Mrs H is of pensionable age, and Guaranteed Pension Credit provides more money than Income Support which is what I was last on when I was signing on. To get this benefit, I am not allowed to sign on or work. What pension credit does, is bring joint income up to £202 per week per couple (unless it's changed recently) plus full housing benefit and council tax benefit, free medical & dental care plus payment for travel for any medical treatment. Don't know what yours or Otis's situations are but hope this helps.

scroobiustom

Because my wife earns a princely sum.

Apparently £15,000 a year is a high flying, stock market player type of wage. :facepalm:

You and me both buddy, except i'm not married and living with my girlfriend on her 16k

skyblu3sk

Fecking hell this is scary shit that type of money would only just pay our mortgage! I hope you are further down the line than me!

dutchman

I wrote off to DWP and and received a pension forecast. Got it slightly wrong Dutch. I've just been informed by missus Houch that we are on Guaranteed Pension Credit. (Can't you tell I let her do all the financial stuff!) We get this because Mrs H is of pensionable age, and Guaranteed Pension Credit provides more money than Income Support which is what I was last on when I was signing on. To get this benefit, I am not allowed to sign on or work. What pension credit does, is bring joint income up to £202 per week per couple (unless it's changed recently) plus full housing benefit and council tax benefit, free medical & dental care plus payment for travel for any medical treatment.

Yes I'm aware Houch but the lower age limit of 65 still applies to anyone born the same year as me. Originally it was 60. So there's no longer an escape route for people aged between 60 and 65 who don't have a large occupational pension.

dutchman

Out of interest, why were you not entitled to jsa?

There are two kinds of JSA, contributory and non-contributory.

Contributory-JSA is based on National Insurance contributions made in the period before unemployment and is paid for a maximum period of 12 months irrespective of other family income or personal savings.

Non-contributory JSA is paid irrespective of National Insurance contributions for an unlimited period but is means-tested according to family income and personal savings.

cloughie

Job Centre, reed, monster.

Just check them 3 times a day.

Never understood the cant get a job malarky!

having read the comments you must now accept that you are clueless about this subject

I am 54 years old and have been a company director yet i cannot get a minimum wage job!!!!

agencies say I'm over qualifyed and certain managers won't employ me because I might know more than them due to my experience and they maybe under threat.

Just like Otis I receive nil benefits so after reading your comments you are talking out your arse

Nick

Administrator
Sorry, reading through them they look really bad! Was more a rant about the slobs! My apologies!

Otis

I'm sure everyone knew who you were talking about, Nick. Used to hate going to the job centre. So many there where it is plain to see they have no interest whatsoever in getting a job.

cloughie

apology accepted and sorry about the rant but it makes my blood boil when i get classed as one of those slobs.

I hated going to the job centre with some idiot questioning me about genuinely looking for work and seeing chavs walk in and sign without question.

Have given up looking a for job and now I am self employed but only part time as it is difficult in this economic climate and also do voluntary work.

hughescov

I forgot to mention, I find Warwick Uni and their job site www.unitemps.co.uk very good! They are not always temp jobs on there, they range from handing out leaflets for 2 hours on specific saturday to full time project managers sometimes. Always updated and also local!

scroobiustom

Lets leave Nick and this job thread alone now, we know its hard I struggle daily like many others, but I think the more important issue of getting SISU out needs more coverage :)

I tend to come on here as a form of escapism in between searching for jobs, so I'm urging people to focus on Coventry and funny issues for my sanity!

Marty

The job centre is a waste of time, I haven't even bothered signing on this time (not entitled to JSA), the staff are terrible, the 'customers' are like some mutant inbred sub-race. It's about time this country sorted it self out.

LastGarrison

In defence of the staff they deal with a bunch of idiots, chancers and scum bags on a daily basis and it must be very difficult to not become cynical in the roles that they do. They also have their hands tied by a lot of red tape and bureaucracy.

I'd imagine their staff turn over is of a very high percentage and it's certainly not a job I could do as I would end up lumping someone within the first 20 minutes of working there!!

I have to say I have had people who have obviously judged me before they have even spoke to me but on the whole I've found most of them alright if you treat them alright. In fact one or two have done me a couple of favours that I'm very grateful of.

In terms of the job front I came back from travelling just over a year ago and it has been a complete struggle to find full time work. I've had a couple of temporary jobs but the market out there is very difficult and you only have to look on sites like Reed where you have upwards of 100 applications for simple £6 an hour data entry jobs.

I have recently been to an interview, then got called back for a second interview out Birmingham way, then had to complete two assessments only to be turned down for the job that didn't even pay 20k. It just goes to show the power that employers currently hold and the lengths they can go to ensure that they get the very best candidiate for the job.

Tough times.

ICHAN

I did hear that the staff are assessed constantly on how they perform, how true I do not know?

Just applied for a contract job 6-8 months work in the north of scotland and got a generic email back saying due to overwhelming applicants they will/may be back in touch in a couple of weeks to see if I have an interview, for gods sake an interview for going to the north of scotland contracting.
I understand due to the distance they need people who can do the job but interviews for going subbing in the north of scotland what ever next, used to just go to site's and if no-one was any good they just got sent of site.

wingy

I did hear that the staff are assessed constantly on how they perform, how true I do not know?

Just applied for a contract job 6-8 months work in the north of scotland and got a generic email back saying due to overwhelming applicants they will/may be back in touch in a couple of weeks to see if I have an interview, for gods sake an interview for going to the north of scotland contracting.
I understand due to the distance they need people who can do the job but interviews for going subbing in the north of scotland what ever next, used to just go to site's and if no-one was any good they just got sent of site.
You just might get lucky ,if this announcement on nuclear power stations comes though soon,not that i'm suggesting you'll be handling plutonium rods ;):D

ICHAN

You may laugh Wingy:p but worked with someone once on a site a couple of years ago and me and my mate who I was working with could not figure out why he looked weird.
Anyone one day we were talking to him and I just had to ask why he had no hair (none on his face at all), anyway it turned out years ago he worked on a nuclear plant site and one day years afterwards he woke up and all his hair had fell out and it never grew back.
Shitter really but at least we had something to pass the days away taking the piss.
But hey I would do it without a second thought wingy save on hair cuts and razors.:D

Houchens Head

Does anyone know of any part time jobs available in coventry I really need a job?

Sorry to sound so harsh but so do about 10,512 others in the city. (latest figures) And they're just the ones on JSA!

Users who are viewing this thread