John Solako (1 Viewer)

westofrayne

Opening day of the season 95-96 away @ Newcastle - (one of the 10 days a year the sun pops out up there) - 36K Newcastle fans all wearing the tops, ground looked like a giant bar code (if you was there you would remember - amazing site). Unfortunate JS chocked in this game, but so did most of the rest of the team, we were lucky yo get nil.

Started well enough, but went down hill, towards the end spend way more time injured than playing. He had so much ability but as people have said he was on the wain, quite a few injuries, and did admit (at a later date) he could of played but I think his feeling for Strachan got in the way.

trevelfarandwide

Very frustrating player... he had the ability but lazy is my memories of him i even rang cwr and slated him after 1 match... very wasted talent such a shame

Exactly this.

I watched Salako week in, week out, and he'd have one good game in about 8...very inconsistent, but then that long-standing knee injury slowed him down and made him too cautious. He had some serious skill, no doubt, but his motivation seemed very lacking during his time here.

Can't recall the opposition for this game in question, but it was at HR 96/97, he came on as a second half sub and within 15 minutes, he was promptly taken off by Fat Ron. He got bullied off the ball every time he had it.

Like so many players who came to us, they had a good reputation and undeniable skill, they just didn't deliver the goods at a consistent rate.

trevelfarandwide

Seem to remember a game at Highfield Road when he came on as a substitute, but was later substituted himself, clearly Strachan wasn't pleased was his commitment. The only time I remember a sub being substituted, it was met with a mixture of cheers and boos.

Haha, this is the one I mentioned in the above post, didn't see your comment. Didn't realise he'd subbed himself.

trevelfarandwide

Oooh dunno. Don't think Steve Harkness would agree he was half hearted in the tackle....

Yeah, I know, I saw that tackle clearly and it was horrifying. Harkness's lower leg made a reverse 'C' shape, ffs.

Users who are viewing this thread