Jordan Willis (1 Viewer)

vow

If fit, would you have him starting tomorrow? If so, who for and where?

I'd personally leave it as it is, with DKE retaining his place at Right back.

If Slade does change it, I'd change Turnbull for JW.

Thoughts?

Otis

Thoughts?
Agree. If he was to come in I think it would be for Jordan Turnbull, unless he drops Haynes and moves Turnbull to left back.

Personally I would bring Willis in. Willis is better than Turnbull.

Reactions: vow

Otis

Yeah, don't agree with this don't change a winning side notion. Every opposition is different and you pick your best players and you play your best team.

There is an argument to keep Willis on the bench, but would think you have to play Beavon ahead of Tudgay don't you. Not only a better player and more mobile, but also the fact that Tudgay is 34 ,slowing down and you can't play him every single week.

I would also think that once Stokes is 100% fit you put him on as well, winning team or not.

steve82

I'm 50/50 on this.... none of the back four deserve to be dropped after last week. But Swindon do have the quick Ajose and a quick strong target man in obinka. Do you bring back Jordan Willis who's only done the odd training session for his pace, or stick with Turnbull for his height.
I'm tempted to stick with the same back four but Haynes worries me.

clint van damme

I'm 50/50 on this.... none of the back four deserve to be dropped after last week. But Swindon do have the quick Ajose and a quick strong target man in obinka. Do you bring back Jordan Willis who's only done the odd training session for his pace, or stick with Turnbull for his height.

carries the ball well which I love to see but poor defensively and it's quite obvious that the opposition identify him as a weakness.

steve82

carries the ball well which I love to see but poor defensively and it's quite obvious that the opposition identify him as a weakness.

It is true, I said this a few weeks ago that the team dont really have a ball carrier to take it over the halfway line, or run at players. Last year in the early part Murphy, Kent and AA all did it with there pace and tight ball control.
We dont really have the pace in the forward areas this year only Kwame Thomas you'd class as being quick and able to be a attacking ball carrier hence why he's deployed on the left wing, after him it's only DKE and Haynes who are both needed for defensive duties.
--DKE--Clarke(c)--Turnbull---Haynes-
----------------Foley--------------
Or
--DKE--Clarke(c)--Willis---Turnbull--
----------------Foley--------------
That's where for me the holding role of Foley is quite key in allowing Haynes that bit of freedom or DKE to push forwards and carry the ball with Foley dropping in. Taking Haynes out unbalances the side and progress of carrying the ball out for me so that's why I'd say he stays in and does it more natural that Turnbull would and then it's all on DKE or Kwame Thomas and there opposite sides to each other so makes us a bit unbalanced going forward

Otis

Also, Turnbull is not at all quick. In fact, he is quite pedestrian.

Willis at least has a bit of pace about him.

JulianDarbyFTW

Also, Turnbull is not at all quick. In fact, he is quite pedestrian.

Willis at least has a bit of pace about him.

I'm most certainly not comparing the two, but John Terry didn't exactly have blistering pace and, while I'm not his biggest fan, he was arguably the best old-style centre-back of his generation. Turnbull is a pound shop version of that style player, and it does have a role to play even in the so-called 'modern game'.

oucho

Tunrbull has had a good couple of games- keep his confidence up by rewarding him with another start. At the moment he is the man in possession. JW wasn't setting the world on fire anyway, needs to earn his place.

Otis

I'm most certainly not comparing the two, but John Terry didn't exactly have blistering pace and, while I'm not his biggest fan, he was arguably the best old-style centre-back of his generation. Turnbull is a pound shop version of that style player, and it does have a role to play even in the so-called 'modern game'.
Difference for me is that John Terry had quick feet and a good touch. He was certainly quick enough over 5 yards and as a defender that is crucial.

Turnbull just doesn't have that I don't think.

fernandopartridge

Thoughts?
No, he's going backwards as a player imo

fernandopartridge

Agree. If he was to come in I think it would be for Jordan Turnbull, unless he drops Haynes and moves Turnbull to left back.

Personally I would bring Willis in. Willis is better than Turnbull.
You advocated changing a winning team for the Oldham game as well [sniggers]

Otis

You advocated changing a winning team for the Oldham game as well [sniggers]
I did, yep.

Not sure I recommended the side he actually picked though.

Just looked, Slade picked Gadhzev, Reid and Tudgay for that game. Pretty certain that as I don't rate any of those players I wouldn't have said for them to be included in the starting 11.

I most certainly wouldn't have picked Gadhzev for starters.

You do realise that Slade is likely to pick a different team to me don't you? ;)

Now if I had been manager .........

Otis

Yep, just looked what I put on the Oldham match thread. I didn't include any of those 3 in the starting 11.

I also said that DKE should have kept his place.

There's 4 changes to what Slade put out right there. Not my fault he changed the team, but picked the WRONG team is it! ;)

Grendel

Both full backs are not great. Kelly Evans is the better but a sustained attack on the wing will cause problems.

Haynes needs replacing. His attacking prowess normally consists also of being forced into his right when he invariably gets caught in possession

He rarely actually overlaps the left midfielder.

Otis

Stokes is back in training, so you may well get your wish sooner than you think.

Users who are viewing this thread