Knee Brace Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Can anybody recommend a decent one?

Have had Osgood Schlatter's on one of mine since I was a kid, then did the cartilage a couple of times and now starting a bit more at the gym and cross training it aches for a couple of days after and I struggle to walk.

I've seen people wearing these ones where it's just a band below the knee:

Knee Strap - PhysioRoom.com Jumpers Knee Strap - from PhysioRoom.com

Then there is a normal one like this:

RDX Neoprene Knee Brace Protector | RDX Sports UK

I don't need a massive terminator style brace, but just one that helps when it comes to twisting and turning to keep it a bit more stable.

I know a few (CJ especially) have had knee injuries, so any recommendations would be good :)

vow

The top one for "Jumpers knee", I had one of those for my patella after I had an OP on my knee to crack away a bone spur, did the job tbh as it takes pressure of the patella.

I've not heard of Osgood Schlatter before, so don't really know if it's the thing for you.

Nick

Administrator
Cheers, ordered one yesterday so will try it tomorrow when it comes.

I was due surgery on the cartilage but they gave me another MRI and they said exercise and physio had sorted it.

It's only recently after started running more it aches :(

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Cheers, ordered one yesterday so will try it tomorrow when it comes.

I was due surgery on the cartilage but they gave me another MRI and they said exercise and physio had sorted it.

It's only recently after started running more it aches :(
In 2011 I broke my ankle in two places and had an op and they fitted a pin and rod to strengthen it. But its starting to hurt and ache after being on it for hours due to walking/working.
Had an XRay last week and got to go to the doctors tomorrow for the results. So I sympathise with you as its bloody painful.

Nick

Administrator
In 2011 I broke my ankle in two places and had an op and they fitted a pin and rod to strengthen it. But its starting to hurt and ache after being on it for hours due to walking/working.
Had an XRay last week and got to go to the doctors tomorrow for the results. So I sympathise with you as its bloody painful.
Mine isn't that bad thankfully, hopefully they can get you sorted :)

Nick

Administrator
i've used this one ( also from Physioroom , below) for various knee injuries. Wear it whilst playing football. Has lasted a couple of years so far with plent of use. Still offers a fair bit of support without restricting movement too much.

Neoprene Patella Knee Support - from PhysioRoom.com

Cheers, Jumpers Knee one came today and will try that one if it doesnt work.

Going to be gutted to have to give up exercise and feel bad going to the doctors over a sore knee.

bringbackrattles

Don't really have the time to go out cycling and find it too boring :(

I did the Cross trainer but really enjoyed the treadmill and like circuit training with a lot of shuttles etc.
Results back from XRay on my ankle. Slight wear and tear on the bone around the pin/screw. Told to take it easy whatever that means. Got to go back if further problems. Thought I'd walk there and back its only Bell Green to near the Devon pub piece of piss usually but limped back and in pain again. Well pissed off !

Nick

Administrator
Results back from XRay on my ankle. Slight wear and tear on the bone around the pin/screw. Told to take it easy whatever that means. Got to go back if further problems. Thought I'd walk there and back its only Bell Green to near the Devon pub piece of piss usually but limped back and in pain again. Well pissed off !

Have you tried some sort of supplement to help with joints? Not the same I know but my dog was limping like mad, got him some supplements for his dinners and he is running round like a mentalist too!

bringbackrattles

Have you tried some sort of supplement to help with joints? Not the same I know but my dog was limping like mad, got him some supplements for his dinners and he is running round like a mentalist too!
Looks like I need to take something. My sister who's a nurse swears by supplements and says I should too.
But with a pin/rod holding ankle together it may be different ? Half a dozen lagers works wonders !

Nick

Administrator
Looks like I need to take something. My sister who's a nurse swears by supplements and says I should too.
But with a pin/rod holding ankle together it may be different ? Half a dozen lagers works wonders !
True, might be different with them rather than a normal joint where fish oils etc can help.

greys4life

Yep put our old grey on glucosamine - worked wonders for her.

Nick

Administrator
Trying one of those Runners Knee bands and it seems decent just around the house. Haven't exercised yet and will be missing circuits tomorrow :(

Marty

I've had a cartilage injury to my knee. I had a support that covered the whole knee and went about half way up my thigh and half way down the calf.

Best recovery for me was just trying to strengthen it without the brace and then just have it braced up only when it needed. Don't overdo it for a month or two, just focus on weight training on the legs and your new muscles will hold your knee it place. Well, it did for me anyway.

Nick

Administrator
I've had a cartilage injury to my knee. I had a support that covered the whole knee and went about half way up my thigh and half way down the calf.

Best recovery for me was just trying to strengthen it without the brace and then just have it braced up only when it needed. Don't overdo it for a month or two, just focus on weight training on the legs and your new muscles will hold your knee it place. Well, it did for me anyway.

Did do some of that the other day, just light weights to build the muscle up.

Knee extensions etc.

Read that a lot of the time it can replace surgery.

Marty

Did do some of that the other day, just light weights to build the muscle up.

Knee extensions etc.

Read that a lot of the time it can replace surgery.

I done my knee when I was about 21. I was given the option of surgery. Which I turned down. Spent about 2 years struggling with it. With the same symptoms you describe, then I met this geezer who had the same issue told me about the strength training and my knee now is far better then before. I can't recommend it enough, the thing I've learnt is that most injuries can be overcome by building up muscle around problem areas and they will hold the affected area in place and near enough get rid of the problem.

Nick

Administrator
I done my knee when I was about 21. I was given the option of surgery. Which I turned down. Spent about 2 years struggling with it. With the same symptoms you describe, then I met this geezer who had the same issue told me about the strength training and my knee now is far better then before. I can't recommend it enough, the thing I've learnt is that most injuries can be overcome by building up muscle around problem areas and they will hold the affected area in place and near enough get rid of the problem.

What sort of thing are you doing? Knee extensions, leg presses etc?

I wanted surgery, had an MRI and while I was waiting they gave me physio. Went back and had the pre op checks etc and when I went in for a scan before they said I didn't need it any more. Haven't done too much running since but recently it aches.

Marty

You want to focus on your quads but you need to do your hamstrings and calf's as well to balance the knee. You also want to be increasing movement in you ankle and hip flexors again just for balance.

Avoid anything with a twisting action, no sports at all for a couple of months.

You want to be doing things like leg raises, hamstring curls, glue bridge etc.
Squats gave me pain and still do so you may want to avoid those.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I hate squats.

I dont really do sports, it's more circuit training but I take it easy on the turns. I was really bad before I started it all and couldn't touch toes etc but getting more flexible now.

I'll have a google and try and build it up, thanks for the advice :)

CJ_covblaze

Had 2 ACL reconstructions (waiting for a third) along with various other ops on my PCL, Medials and cartilage. Best brace I've had was a C180. Superb bit of kit. Got something similar from them for my ankle (several dislocations, breaks and achilies ruptures) too. If you need advice on physio etc give me a DM.

Edit: Piece of advice to everyone. Don't play football or Futsal!

Nick

Administrator
Had 2 ACL reconstructions (waiting for a third) along with various other ops on my PCL, Medials and cartilage. Best brace I've had was a C180. Superb bit of kit. Got something similar from them for my ankle (several dislocations, breaks and achilies ruptures) too. If you need advice on physio etc give me a DM.

Edit: Piece of advice to everyone. Don't play football or Futsal!
Are you falling apart? Will have a Google for a c180 when home but it might be a bit overkill as mine isn't half as bad.

Is that all on the same knee?

CJ_covblaze

Are you falling apart? Will have a Google for a c180 when home but it might be a bit overkill as mine isn't half as bad.

Is that all on the same knee?

Same knee same ankle. First ACL/PCL was at 15. First game back I snapped it again. I was fine for about 10 years until I took one step out of the car and felt it go again. Last op was a tidy up some small repairs 18 months ago. Was on the table still at 1pm. Still made it for kick off for the 4-1 Gillingham game!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
This old codger will add his 10p worth! Apart from my dodgy ticker, diabetes, IBS, fused foot joint and other stuff, I have absolutely NO cartilage in my left knee joint. I am now bone on bone and believe me, it's bleedin' painful! I'm on the hospital waiting list for a knee replacement operation, but that might not be until Aug / Sept - if I'm lucky! I was given cortisone injections for the last couple of years but now I have no cartilage at all, that no longer works. I've been looking for a good brace, just to help me walk (I now use a stick!), but simply don't know which is best. They range in price from about £40 - £1000+! I think I'll just hack the pain (with daily doses of Zapain and Amitriptyline) although I really need morphine! (Pic isn't my knee but very similar to my x-ray!)

A00212F02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread