Knee replacement (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Had my knee replacement surgery on Wednesday. New heart valves 20 years ago, titanium pins in my foot, 5 stents into my heart valves over the years and now a plastic knee! I feel like the Bionic Man!

olderskyblue

My mate had his done 6 weeks ago. Been slow going, but he’s getting there.
Be patient 👍

Sbarcher

Had my knee replacement surgery on Wednesday. New heart valves 20 years ago, titanium pins in my foot, 5 stents into my heart valves over the years and now a plastic knee! I feel like the Bionic Man!
Couldn’t afford a metal one? Bloody cheap skate!

Houchens Head

I'm still in hospital (Redditch). Don't think I'll be out until Mon. Leg is really swollen. 😫
Couldn’t afford a metal one? Bloody cheap skate!
I think it's a mixture of plastic and titanium. I managed to count about 15 or 16 staples as well.

shepardo01

I'm still in hospital (Redditch). Don't think I'll be out until Mon. Leg is really swollen. 😫

I think it's a mixture of plastic and titanium. I managed to count about 15 or 16 staples as well.
Wishing you a speedy recovery HH.
Got a hip replacement booked in in May... not looking forward to that. Might ask for a few tips on here....
Hope the City don't ruin your mood later!!

Sbarcher

Had mine replaced about 15 years ago. Still as good as new and never had any further pain.

Houchens Head

Got a hip replacement booked in in May... not looking forward to that. Might ask for a few tips on here....
Have to admit, I was really not looking forward to it, especially when they said it would be done via an epidural. But I went down to theatre at 9.15, sat down on the table, "sharp scratch" was inserted then "swing your legs up...... quickly!"
Next thing I knew, I was coming round in the recovery room 3 hours later. Honestly, it really is a good op. Painful for a couple of days but really important to do the exercise and ask for ice bags if it looks swollen. Best wishes for it and keep us all posted.
Kind regards HH

JAM See

I had a new hip in November 2020. It went really well and I was fully recovered by the new year.

It's such common surgery these days, there is nothing to worry about at all.

Enjoy your new found mobility.

olderskyblue

Had one done last August, the other in November. It’s all about the exercises afterwards, and being younger will help you.
I met a woman who had hers done the same day as me, she was walking quite well with one stick after 2 weeks… (I took longer, but I am an old git :))

clint van damme

Should change your username to triggers brooom mate!
In all seriousness, meant to be a bastard of an op so hope you're doing well and are on the way to recovery.

Reactions: vow

shepardo01

Bloody hell shepardo, you’re a young man. What have you been doing to wear that out?
43... played a LOT of football over the years - spend most of my day on my feet due to nature of my job, averaging around 18k steps per day...
Quite a serious health issue when 18 - posted about it on here - had THE most toxic chemotherapy drug out there a few times during that period- long term effects!!... Arthritis in both hips... just one much worse than the other!!!
Mobility not tool bad... but in pain after work... can't put my socks on in morning, pain wakes me at night too!!...
Was a little shocked/surprised when I found out.... but needs to be done!!!

Houchens Head

Had one done last August, the other in November. It’s all about the exercises afterwards, and being younger will help you.
I met a woman who had hers done the same day as me, she was walking quite well with one stick after 2 weeks… (I took longer, but I am an old git :))
Just like me! 😊

Houchens Head

Update... I'm actually getting around just using my walking stick. Hurts like a bitch and had a fall last night (but I think that might have been the effects of my mate, Jack Daniels!) Thing is, I still have horrible numbness on one side of my knee. Also, there are bruising marks on the sides of my knee. Question for the lads who have been through this.... is this all something you went through? 20220405_072425.jpg 20220405_072418.jpg 20220404_092105.jpg

Sbarcher

After all of these years, there's still a small area on my knee that feels quite numb, obviously nerve endings have gone, but apart from that once all the staples were out and the wound healed, never a minutes problem with it.

olderskyblue

My hip ops both left me numb for awhile, and with bruises. They put the hip through it’s paces while still in theatre, whether it liked it or not :)

I also had swelling round my knees and ankles. All perfectly normal for hip replacement.

can’t say for knee, but imagine it to be similar if not worse. Lots of trauma round the area.

Houchens Head

Staples out tomorrow! Can't bloody wait!! 28 of the buggers!

robbiekeane

Update... I'm actually getting around just using my walking stick. Hurts like a bitch and had a fall last night (but I think that might have been the effects of my mate, Jack Daniels!) Thing is, I still have horrible numbness on one side of my knee. Also, there are bruising marks on the sides of my knee. Question for the lads who have been through this.... is this all something you went through?View attachment 24306View attachment 24307 View attachment 24308
that is fucking knarly

Users who are viewing this thread