Kodi Box (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Anybody got one? Worth the money? Can you get all the football for free?

Nick

Administrator
Great for streaming films on my network, annoying for sport. Takes about 5-10 minutes to find a good stream usually, if there is a good one then it's bang on.

Pipehitterz keeps posting a link to other devices that plug into your sky dish.

wingy

Well it sounds like the way to go
I mean £120 a month for a package plus mobile
Talk about having people's pants down!

Liquid Gold

I currently stream from my laptop and connect the tv with a hdmi cable, streams can vary in quality though. Is it worth shelling out for the box?

Nick

Administrator
I currently stream from my laptop and connect the tv with a hdmi cable, streams can vary in quality though. Is it worth shelling out for the box?

It is pretty much the same thing, say you use vipbox for the streams it connects in. The streams still vary, so you might get lucky with one.

stupot07

Yes, but if you can buy a box and put kodi and a custom build on from areswizard, don't pay over the odds for one that's already set up. They are v easy to set up and loads of guides on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rd45

Yes, but if you can buy a box and put kodi and a custom build on from areswizard, don't pay over the odds for one that's already set up. They are v easy to set up and loads of guides on the internet.

Agreed, it's no harder really than installing apps on your phone. Hardest part is finding stable / reliable streams once you've got it set up. Easy for films & boxsets, not easy for sport.

Rich

I've had our firesticks for a while but only put the beast on yesterday. Didn't realise it was that easy. I'd just been using a couple of standalone repos until now.

The beast seems to have decent feeds for the sports channels.

Covstu

What's the best box to buy then. I used chromcast but the connection to the phone can be shit

Rich

I've just got the firesticks. Like it that much I got two. One upstairs one downstairs.

Of course you could just install on a laptop/pc then connect by hdmi to the tv

Joelly

I have Kodi on my laptop.

Search Halow TV for kodi on youtube and follow the tutorials. This gives me HD streams for all football even the 3pm ones. using it for about a month never had a stream buffer or be any less quality than HD

shmmeee

RaspberryPi 3 £20.

Libreelec on it, add GameStarter for retro console games too. Fucking ace.

shmmeee

I have Kodi on my laptop.

Search Halow TV for kodi on youtube and follow the tutorials. This gives me HD streams for all football even the 3pm ones. using it for about a month never had a stream buffer or be any less quality than HD

Do you get live TV as well? I've been living off my mates Sky Go subscription but after I showed him kodi he's dropped his package and doesn't get Go any more. Should've thought that one through really.

SkyBlueScottie

Looking at a box myself, (currently using 1st version Firestick) especially since the law has changed recently and ISP's have to track your activity, and then send a letter advising you how to access the material legally. This is due to not yet finding a way to run a VPN with this version of Firestick.

shmmeee

Looking at a box myself, (currently using 1st version Firestick) especially since the law has changed recently and ISP's have to track your activity, and then send a letter advising you how to access the material legally. This is due to not yet finding a way to run a VPN with this version of Firestick.

Just side load a VPN app surely?

I keep meaning to get a VPN sorted, especially in this more authoritarian world.

stupot07

Does anyone currently use a VPN app on the firestick? The ones I looked at have monthly subscriptions. Not had a letter from my ISP yet.....unless I chucked it straight in the bin.

shmmeee

Does anyone currently use a VPN app on the firestick? The ones I looked at have monthly subscriptions. Not had a letter from my ISP yet.....unless I chucked it straight in the bin.

There's the app that lets you set VPN details, you can get them free. But then there's the VPN connection itself and you'll need to pay a sub for that. Some providers have their own app so the two are merged.

Nick

Administrator
RaspberryPi 3 £20.

Libreelec on it, add GameStarter for retro console games too. Fucking ace.

Is that booting straight to Kodi? I thought about one and installing Linux on it so I could use it for Torrenting too but not got round to playing with one yet.

dancers lance

It might be worthwhile looking for an app that allows you to use the Tor browser with your fire stick.........just saying!

shmmeee

Is that booting straight to Kodi? I thought about one and installing Linux on it so I could use it for Torrenting too but not got round to playing with one yet.

Yeah libreelec is just enough OS for kodi. You could put raspbian or something on and use it as a straight Linux box

shmmeee

It might be worthwhile looking for an app that allows you to use the Tor browser with your fire stick.........just saying!

Tor is too slow for video and is basically an FBI/NSA honeypot these days so no use for illegal activities either.

A decent VPN in a country with no data sharing laws should be enough.

dancers lance

Tor is too slow for video and is basically an FBI/NSA honeypot these days so no use for illegal activities either.

A decent VPN in a country with no data sharing laws should be enough.
I do agree that it can be very slow at times for streaming, but if you can put up with a bit of buffering it works fine, no VPN is 100% safe and data sharing laws mean nothing, they are easily bypassed. I don't like the dirty side of browsers like Tor but I do agree with their principles of anonymity.

shmmeee

I do agree that it can be very slow at times for streaming, but if you can put up with a bit of buffering it works fine, no VPN is 100% safe and data sharing laws mean nothing, they are easily bypassed. I don't like the dirty side of browsers like Tor but I do agree with their principles of anonymity.

As I say, they haven't been anonymous since before the Silk Road bust really.

Of course data laws can be bypassed, but by GCQH not Virgin Media.

stupot07

Has anyone received a letter yet from their ISP?

dancers lance

The Silk Road bust wasn't down to agents finding a weakness in the browser, it was due to the greed of the bloke running it and the fact that he fell for a sting operation involving law enforcement, other people involved in the site that dobbed him in, hid his bitcoins, claimed them and then resurrected the site only to be arrested themselves. I don't think his real ip was ever found until they physically had his computers.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I just used my Firestick in my telly then I downloaded Kodi onto the Firestick and that's it. Get loads of stuff free. Watched some good movies lately as well! Also have a NowTV thing plugged into another hdmi slot on TV so I have a hell of a choice.

SkyBlueScottie

The below is from a mail drop on Uswitch, Im not actually sure anything has changed, I believe this has happened in the past. However I would prefer anonymity, so which VPN is the best choice, also does anyone have a suggestion on which box to purchase as Ive been informed its slightly trickier to get a 1st Gen firestick working on VPN.

Sky, Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BT and Plusnet customers have been given 20 days to stop downloading content illegally.

The providers are supporting the government's Get It Right initiative, an effort to stop people pirating copyrighted material via torrent sites such as Pirate Bay.

While customers do not face the threat of disconnection if they continue breaking the law in this way, they will be contacted and asked to remove or disable any offending software.

Customers will also be encouraged to use legal alternatives such as Spotify, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix in order to access audio and video content.

Internet providers will not actively monitor people's online activity in order to find instances of illegal file sharing, nor will copyright holders.

Instead, copyright holders will track activity on peer-to-peer networks to identify instances where their content is being illegally uploaded and shared.

The Internet Protocol address will then be noted and their internet provider will be notified.

Users who are viewing this thread